Disneyland for Pregnant Women

How's it going! We have a planned trip this November that will be from November 9-16. We just found out that my wife is pregnant and she will be 6-7 months pregnant on our trip. What rides can she definitely NOT do and what rides should be okay? We are annual pass holders from Hawaii and are okay with rider swapping but I'm hoping she can ride some of our favorites without a problem... POTC, Soarin', Midway Mania, etc.

Thanks!

Keola

• Banned User

Re: Disneyland for Pregnant Women

You should avoid rides that have clear warning signs. Since everyone's pregnancy is different, I will only advise slow rides. Even with Pirates and Small World, getting in and out of the vehicle will be a strain. Your trip is five months away. If it is too late to cancel, I would try to look for other things to do locally.

Okay, I've looked through the attractions section and here are the rides that have a "WARNING" for expectant women...

Autopia
    Big Thunder Mountain
    California Screamin'
    Gadgets Go Coaster
    Goofy's Go Coaster
    Goofy's Sky School
    Grizzly River Run
    Indiana Jones
    Luigi's Flying Tires
    Matterhorn Bobsleds
    Radiator Springs Racers
    Space Mountain
    Splash Mountain
    Star Tours
    Tuck & Rolls Drive Em Buggies
    Tower of Terror

Although these are all of the E-Ticket rides and a lot of others we love, we are still going to spend the week at Disneyland and California Adventure Park and I know we will have an awesome time. There's plenty enough to do and see to make it worth it... AND, we have Deluxe passes so it's not an extra expense as they're already paid for.

We have two kids and each came exactly one week after a visit to Disneyland. Neither was a surprise, however, as we went to Disneyland with two weeks left in pregnancy. I got my wife a wheelchair the first time and we went on all the kiddy rides all day, and had a great time. The second time she wanted to walk, and we took it slow and did just fine. Both trips were 3 day trips, and we had a GREAT time.

Of the rides you've listed, she'd probably be ok going on most of them, but there's no sense in risking it. Autopia would be fine to do. You may think Luigi's Flying tires would be ok, but I would not recommend it. Because it's a stupid ride, not because she'd be endangering the child or anything.

There's still a lot to do, and you'll have a great time. Just take it slow and enjoy some of the things you may normally skip, like the exhibits or the shows. Congrats, by the way!

• Chief Troublemaker

Of course your wife should follow her own doctor's advice & talk it over with him/her now and again closer to your trip, but my feeling is that the warnings are there for a reason. Maybe some of them seem like 'conservative' thinking on the part of Disney's Risk Mgmt department, but if there's any time to think conservatively, it's when you're expecting.

As far as Autopia, my thoughts are that although the ride itself wouldn't pose a risk per se, there are always those idiots that think its fun to ram into slower cars in front or stop suddenly so that the car behind slams into them. That sudden jerk or bump could post a risk to an expectant mother and/or the baby.

At 6-7 months, I wouldn't take ANY chances by riding a ride with a warning. That's just too early to risk premature delivery.

Stick to Fantasyland. After all, that's where you'll be spending most of your time once you have a toddler. May as well get used to it. LOL.

BTW, does anyone know if they would actually turn an (obviously) expectant mother away from a ride with a warning?
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Quote Originally Posted by Supertank View Post
    There's still a lot to do, and you'll have a great time. Just take it slow and enjoy some of the things you may normally skip, like the exhibits or the shows. Congrats, by the way!
    THANKS!

Yep, we are pretty laid back about our visits and take it easy most of the time, letting the kids decide where the day goes. I think this trip will be different in that we won't park hop as often as before. We will try to stick to one park for most of the day and switch off the next day. We've already been to Disneyland a total of 19 days on this annual pass (since November 16, 2012) and can't wait for the last 7 days this coming November. Our kids are 5 and 3 years old and they have been to Disneyland every year since they were born. We bought annual passes last year because of the amount of time we were spending in California on our trip and because of it, made another trip to Disneyland this past April. We can't wait to go this November and I'm sure it will be just as enjoyable, if not more, this time.

Thanks!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Stick to Fantasyland. After all, that's where you'll be spending most of your time once you have a toddler. May as well get used to it. LOL.
    Fantasyland uses those lap bars a lot. You might not be able to pull them down.

• Selfie Expert

As others have said, I would stay off of the ones with explicit warnings. Rides like Autopia, you run the risk of people bumping into you. Splash Mountain has the drop, but I've read the risk is actually in the case of an emergency stop, which is quite jarring. Anyway, the rides have the warnings for a reason. It for sure stinks to miss some of your favorites (I know how she feels!!), but it's not worth the risk.

And congratulations!!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• The doctor is in

First of all, congratulations.

As others have said, any ride that has a clear warning is a no-no for pregnant women (Matterhorn, RSR, Star Tours, etc.). It all comes down to common sense, imo.
    You should be fine with the Fantasyland rides like Mr. Toad and Snow White along with Little Mermaid and Monster's Inc. inside DCA. They have lapbars but it isn't anything severe and it's not like the rides have sudden drops or stops.
    I wish Frozen would have never been made.