Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Years back, my first visit to Disneyland

I was a kid when we first went to DLR, so many years back. I just found my mom's journal entries about our two days in DL back in 1967. For those of you that love nostalgia, here's what my mom had to say. (I should add that we were staying at an RV park a few blocks south of DL, in a travel trailer.) Enjoy the giggle over the prices. (I've only listed those that were important to DL.)

JUNE 26, 1967
    25c parking fee
    25c Ken-L-Land fee
    $20 ticket books for DL (4 people)
    1.25 drinks - mint julep and lemonade
    45c souvenir tomahawk
    65c liquid refreshments
    70c Cokes
    52c postcards
    30c souvenir book
    52c souvenir license plate (for my bicycle)

"We got up bright and early with everyone very anxious to get over to Disneyland. Since we got in so late the night before, we had to unhitch the trailer and connect to water and sewer.

FINALLY at 10:15 we were on our way to Disneyland. After parking the car and catching a tram to the entrance gate, we first had to take the dog to Ken-L-Land where the poor animal was put in a cage. We left a very unhappy dog while we went to enjoy almost 12 hours full of fun.

Words can never describe the breathtaking beauty of this place and especially some of the attractions.

Our first stop was at the Kodak shop to inquire as to whether they would be able to fix Donna's camera. (NOTE: I had an old Kodak Pony at the time.) We then started our trek to the various sections with rides or what-have-you to enjoy.

The most spectacular of all is "It's a Small World". We even went to see it twice (& on the "E" ticket) it was so-o-o-o magnificent. (This exhibit was originally in the New York World's Fair and sponsored by Pepsi-Cola. We didn't see it there because the lines were over 2 hours long.) We took many a picture & we have all fingers and toes crossed that they come out!! Words can't describe that show.

(My 5 year old brother) finally got to see REAL Indians. We went on the "paddle your own canoe" ride with real Indians as guides and host. After the ride we watched the Indians give a show of authentic dances of the various tribes, and at the close they had all the children get up and dance with them. To (brother) -- this was the most!

(My dad, then 36) began to tire much earlier than the rest of us -- rather maybe he just admitted to the truth. However, we all kept going -- seeing everything and doing everything we could. We rode the Jungle Cruise, climbed up the Swiss Family Treehouse (both in Adventureland); rode the Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad all around the park and then some; rode the Tom Sawyer raft out to the island where we romped around, climbed rocks, and even crossed the swinging bridge and pontoon bridge, paddled our own canoe with the Indians (in Frontierland); rode on King Arthur's Carousel, took a relaxing ride on a boat through Storybook Land (all in Fantasyland); rode the monorail over to the Disneyland Hotel (where we browsed around a bit), and rode the thrilling roller coaster called the Matterhorn Bobsles, went through Monsanto's House of the Future (no thanks -- poor layout), viewed the General Electric's Carousel of Progress - how electricity has helped us all in our lives (all in Tomorrowland). Our supper was eaten in the Aunt Jemima's Kitchen which was between Adventureland and Frontierland.

We ended up the day by watching Tinker Bell make her magic ride down a wire from the Matterhorn followed by fireworks. Our feet were not used enough today -- (my dad's name) and I had to take in a few dances before walking out of the gate.

When we picked up poor little lonesome "Doggie Poggie" she was so thrilled and happy to get out of the cage, she wet all over the place.

We got home sometime after 10:30 -- all wearied and tired by anxious for the new day to arrive to continue (& perhaps conclude) our Adventures with Walt Disney in Disneyland."

Donna
    Last edited by teacherlady19; 05-13-2013 at 04:12 PM. Reason: punctuation correction
    1967, 1973, 1977 - DLR (RV parks)
    1980-1984 - DLR (multiple single days or at now-defunct motels)
    1994 - DLR (off-site hotel)
    2007 - DLR (single day)
    2008, 2009 - DLR (BW Stovall's)
    2012 - WDW (PopC)
    2013 - DLR (Candy Cane Inn)

Re: Years back, my first visit to Disneyland

JUNE 27, 1967 (Day 2 at DL)

25c parking fee
    25c kennel fee
    16.00 ticket books for 4
    52c postcards
    1.00 lunch drinks
    1.04 Mickey Mouse hat
    52c slide of Lincoln
    70c refreshing drinks
    3.28 supper
    70c ride - Dumbo
    30c - pencil pendant
    2.08 charm for Donna
    1.00 slides of Small World

"We left at 10:20 to spend another delightful day at Disneyland, only we didn't stay quite so late. Since we didn't have that many attractions left to see, we only purchased the 10-ride book for each of us.

Lucky really fought when brought to the kennel cage -- poor little spoiled animal!

Again our first stop was at the Kodak store only this time to get Donna's camera fixed. Three men worked on it for quite awhile but they managed to get it partially fixed -- and they wouldn't take a cent, either!

We then toured the place and saw many of the shows, rides, & exhibits we missed yesterday. While in the Kodak shop, we got to see Mickey Mouse lead the Disneyland Band down Main Street.

The other attractions we enjoyed were Casey Jr Circus Train, Mad Tea Party (tea cup tilt-a-whirl), Dumbo Flying Elephants, 2 trips on the Skyway (to Tomorrowland), and a fun ride with Alice in Wonderland (in Fantasyland); the Tiki Bird House (in Adventureland), Pirates of the Caribbean (in New Orleans Square); Mark Twain Steamboat ride, and Mine Train Ride (in Frontierland); the Autopias (the kids drove their parents around for a change), and the submarine (my husband didn't get the urge to re-enlist, either) (both in Tomorrowland).

During the course of the day, one got a Mickey Mouse hat for a souvenir and Donna got a Tinker Bell charm for her bracelet. (Donna's 2013 note: Yes, I still have the bracelet and the charm!)

We took a surrey ride down to the entrance - "OKLAHOMA" recollections -- and my son got to ride up with the driver. (Donna's 2013 note: our family are fans of Broadway shows.)

We left the park about 8:30 and after stopping for groceries, we headed back to the trailer."

Donna
    2007 - DLR (single day)
    2012 - WDW (PopC)

• With The Brain Of A Bird

Thank you so much for this. I love time travel and reading someone's first hand account of Disneyland from the 1960's is like going back in time. It's funny how she referred to the Enchanted Tiki Room as the Tiki Bird House because that's what our family used to call it when I was a kid. Thanks again for the trip.
    "Anything's possible at Disneyland." - Walt Disney, 1965

• i believe in faeries.

love it! what a great reminder of the classics of disneyland... and i lol'd at the prices! so awesome that you have this journal!

• Selfie Expert

What an incredibly unique (and enjoyable) trip report!! Thank you for sharing!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• formerly very helpful

This is how I actually remember and think about Disneyland, even to this day. If there was any way possible, I'd love to see photos. Do they even exist?

• Minion

So cool! Thank for sharing!

Just for giggles, I ran the first day's prices through an inflation calculator (The Inflation Calculator)

In 2012 money:

$1.70 parking fee
    $1.70 Ken-L-Land fee
    $135.67 ticket books for DL (4 people)
    $8.48 drinks - mint julep and lemonade
    $3.05 souvenir tomahawk
    $4.41 liquid refreshments
    $4.75 Cokes
    $3.53 postcards
    $2.04 souvenir book
    $3.53 souvenir license plate (for my bicycle)

• Disneyland History Lover

Thanks so much for this. It's nice to see this written in a firsthand account at the time the events occurred. I really should do something like this now so that I can look at it 50 years from now and compare prices and experiences to what they'll be like in the future.

• Minion

Amazingly, with just a few exceptions, you could do all those attractions she listed today. Of those that have gone to Yesterland, I've never heard a negative review of Monsanto's House of the Future before!

The only anomaly, considering this TR is from early Summer 1967, seems to be the lack of Tomorrowland 1967 attractions, with the exception of "Carousel of Progress." Was there a period where CoP opened before the main drag of T67? It's hard to believe that with two days to visit they would miss Adventure Thru Inner Space, Circlevision, Rocket Jets, Flight to the Moon (the redone Rocket to the Moon) *and* the PeopleMover.

Teacherlady19, do you remember construction walls up around Tomorrowland or did your family skip these rides, or did your mother leave them out?

I first went there in 1960. Small World was only a dream in someone's head. The Flying Saucers weren't in yet. The railroad rode very close to the dry dock for the Mark Twain, rather than where it is now. But, a lot of things were the same too. Not many, but some.

Quote Originally Posted by teacherlady19 View Post

JUNE 26, 1967
    25c parking fee
    25c Ken-L-Land fee
    $20 ticket books for DL (4 people)
    1.25 drinks - mint julep and lemonade
    45c souvenir tomahawk
    65c liquid refreshments
    70c Cokes
    52c postcards
    30c souvenir book
    52c souvenir license plate (for my bicycle)

Do remember that in 1967, the minimum wage was $1, and the average individual salary was $4,743 -- approximately 1/10th of today's average.

So, that 70-cent Coke cost the equivalent of $7.00 today. And even with much lower admission prices, that day at Disneyland set her back the equivalent of about $248 in today's money. Not so cheap, was it?

• Disneyland History Lover

Quote Originally Posted by bigcatrik View Post
    Amazingly, with just a few exceptions, you could do all those attractions she listed today. Of those that have gone to Yesterland, I've never heard a negative review of Monsanto's House of the Future before!

The only anomaly, considering this TR is from early Summer 1967, seems to be the lack of Tomorrowland 1967 attractions, with the exception of "Carousel of Progress." Was there a period where CoP opened before the main drag of T67? It's hard to believe that with two days to visit they would miss Adventure Thru Inner Space, Circlevision, Rocket Jets, Flight to the Moon (the redone Rocket to the Moon) *and* the PeopleMover.

Teacherlady19, do you remember construction walls up around Tomorrowland or did your family skip these rides, or did your mother leave them out?
    I'm curious what the OP has to say, but ATIS didn't open until August 1967. The rest of TL67 was already open when the OP and her family where there in June of that year.

Thanks for sharing. It's great! I like the today's prices.

I'm glad you all enjoyed it. I figured that on this board, somebody would have to get a charge out of it!

As for the photos -- my dad took all of their slides and converted them digitally. However, I don't think he's organized them at all, so asking him to find them would be difficult at this point. What few I took (see the comments about my camera being broken) are probably somewhere in a carousel (Kodak type) that I'd have to unearth.

We did do Tomorrowland. I remember that we did NOT do the Rockets to the Moon, for whatever reason. I believe we did PeopleMover (my dad thought that was really neat, AND he got to rest), and Circlevision. When we went back, 10 years later, I remember he wanted to go to Small World and the People Mover again. On that trip, I was introducing my young man (not yet my fiance or husband) to Disneyland in a whirlwind one-day trip. So we didn't spend a lot of time with my parents. But I do remember Dad insisting that they go to those two attractions, and Pirates of the Caribbean.

Donna
    2007 - DLR (single day)
    2012 - WDW (PopC)

• Familymemories

Thank you so much for sharing that!! What precious memories you have.
    Vintage Jewelry Converted Into Wearable Pieces Visit My Etsy Shop3 Kid Crop Shop

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast