• Minion

Does Disney really need IPs to attract guest?

I know this is a somewhat tiring subject, but I've had this feeling for a while now. Does Disney really need IP's to attract guest? I just feel like Disney Parks attract guest regardless if it's a film or not. If TDA where to make an attraction with a really interesting theme or idea with excellent exicution and good marketing of course I bet they would make just as much money as they would with any princess/pirate/cars attraction. Many of the attraction that are guest favorites are original attractions. Matterhorn, Space Mountain (expecially), JC, HM, Soarin, GRR (except when it's cold lol). Heck, even TOT could be somewhat considered an original attraction since its an original story with original characters with the twilight zone as a central theme. Not to mention that most of these attraction are identified with DL and DCA. I think what's not realized here is that there are other concepts in today's world other than films and other media that are still relevant. Fantasy creatures, Myths and legends, animals etc are all things that are either relevant through school or general knowledge. I'm not saying that i don't like IP attractions, i actually really enjoy them, but I'd just really enjoy a balance between IP and original attractions

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Re: Does Disney really need IPs to attract guest?

Do they need them no not at all.......but they keep bringing them into the parks because they make more money

It takes years before rides become classic like HM or Pirates and Disney does not want to have to wait to make any cash....sad but what can we expect this has not been Walts Company since he died

• Senior Minion

They don't need them. They are using the parks as advertising platforms because they think that having the IP in the park will keep the IP permanently relevant. This has been one of Bob Iger's primary focuses since he became CEO. It's not just about short term profits, it's about selling billions of merchandise of the same characters year after year.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

They don't need IPs to attract guests, but I suspect strong IPs sell more in-park merchandise. How much of the increased profits from WWoHP and Carsland are due to merchandise sales?

• Evil is Sexy

Psst... The Matterhorn Bobsleds were inspired by the Disney film Third Man on the Mountain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by WildeNight View Post
    Psst... The Matterhorn Bobsleds were inspired by the Disney film Third Man on the Mountain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I love the part of Third Man of the Mountain where they ride the bobsled past the Abominable Snow Man!
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• враг народа

Blog Entries

It is if you think so little of themed entertainment to not even consider it a creative medium, but merely a marketing medium.

Third Man on the Mountain, the Matterhorn Bobsleds, the 1960 Winter Olympics and the Mineral King Ski Resort were all inspired by Walt Disney's fascination with winter sports. The overlaps in Disneyland's content with other mediums in which Disney worked were not the same as the precisely calculated marketing decisions made today. Much of the original "synergy" would never happen using today's metrics because the chosen properties failed to meet financial expectations.

• Among mad people

I'm sure I'm going to feel really stupid when I read the answer, but for some reason its just not coming to me.

Whats an IP?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MSCguy View Post
    I'm sure I'm going to feel really stupid when I read the answer, but for some reason its just not coming to me.

Whats an IP?
    I didnt know what it was for a while either lol. it stands for intellectual property

• Among mad people

Quote Originally Posted by imaginashton View Post
    I didnt know what it was for a while either lol. it stands for intellectual property

Oh. That's it? I thought it meant something else. I guess I did know what it meant then.

Thanks.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Inspired and Advertisement are two very different things

Heck even The Fantasyland rides for the most part try to show NEW things that the movies could not.....Mr Toad, snow white and even Pater follow the story but also have many scenes not in the movies and allow the world to feel more real and fleshed out

And I do love some of the movie rides and want some based of....Marvel but I'd like to see some new idea's like the Mystic Manor too, since those rides usually push the boundaries of imagination the most

• -

Not true. The Matterhorn ride was inspired by a mountain in Switzerland. Walt happened to be visiting the set of the movie when he got the inspiration. That is a big difference from being inspired by the movie.
    Last edited by calsig31; 05-14-2013 at 11:24 AM.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Not true. The Matterhorn ride was inspired by a mountain in Switzerland. Walt happened to be visiting the set of the movie wen he got the inspiration. That is a big difference from being inspired by the movie.
    And the town itself inspired the organization of the Mineral King Ski Resort.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    And the town itself inspired the organization of the Mineral King Ski Resort.
    Exactly.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."