Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Another turkey leg please

Re: My week at Disneyland - Learning the hard way to avoid the month of May

Quote Originally Posted by kirstenh View Post
    I was there in late April and there crowds were really light. I think as long as you go after spring break but before Grad Nights start, that's the sweet spot.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    This year was a bit tricky with timing. We chose May because it was when I could go on leave and when my friend who lives in Phoenix was done with her semester at ASU. If it wasn't for her schedule we would have gone in early March like we did last year. That was probably the best time I have ever had in terms of crowds and weather.

I will definitely look into April again, though. Thanks for the tip!
    We went April 20 (Saturday) which was surprisingly not as crowded as I expected. Also noticed the only groups of kids were the bands Tamiele mentioned. I think kirstenh has this one nailed - late April or first week of May.

• Minion

Uh Oh... We'll be leaving on the 22nd to come back home, but does that mean our last day in park will be overrun with unruly teenagers?

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by whoever View Post
    Uh Oh... We'll be leaving on the 22nd to come back home, but does that mean our last day in park will be overrun with unruly teenagers?
    Unfortunately. Prepare for long lines, pushy teens, rude teens, and crowds.
    I am so sick of Frozen I can't even describe the feeling.

• #bringevilback

Unfortunately. Prepare for long lines, pushy teens, rude teens, and crowds.
    This, and it will be worse later in the evening, so go early and hope for the best!

• Greetings, Program!

Here are all the 2013 Grad Night dates:

May 9, 10, 11, 15, 16, 18, and 22
    June 12, 14, 20, and 21
    GRRR.. Thought I was in the clear when I read this but found additional dates:

May 23rd

May 24th

May 29th
    May 30th
    May 31st
    June 5th
    June 6th
    June 7th

We'll be hitting the resort on the 23rd - At least we'll be missing the 24 hour madness that will follow that weekend. Had zero idea about any of this back when I booked the trip and the hotel rooms.

I found those through a link via Trip Advisor. In other words, Disney does not seem to post the Grad Night dates for the public to see.
    Not surprised. If the general public had any idea I'm sure some would be hesitant to come knowing the rep that the grad nights now have.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

• Minion

Why do they do this grad night thing again?

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizmo2000 View Post
    Not surprised. If the general public had any idea I'm sure some would be hesitant to come knowing the rep that the grad nights now have.
    I don't see the Disney rationale behind not sharing that info with the general public. People travel from a long ways off and pay big bucks to go - why not give them the courtesy of that information so they can plan around those dates? Just talking to my gal pal who is so upset that after she booked her trip for May 29th and that weekend and then she found out about the Grad nights. I can understand why they can't be more forthcoming about ride closures/refurbs because those schedules do change but I am fairly certain the grad nights are set way in advance to coordinate with the schools participating.

We were there from May 1-7. Perfect trip until that last day. We thought that day would be our lightest day for us to do some things we hadn't done yet and to go for seconds on some of our favorites, but when we lined up to use our magic morning the entire esplanade was packed. We ended up with three minutes left in that "magic" hour and barely made it to Peter Pan before the people waiting for normal admission. Of course it was a 40 minute wait even then. That's what we get for leaving things till the last minute!

• The doctor is in

I didn't even use my Magic Morning because it took so long to get into the parks each morning as it was. I figured I would spend my MM just standing in line at the gate. From what it sounds like that's exactly what happened with you, sandwich78.

And I wrote Disney a lovely (/sarcasm) email regarding my trip. I was very specific about my experiences during Grad Night and I encouraged them that if they are going to allow them in all day they need to put a warning on the event calendar for other guests. Including airfare my friend and I spent over $2000, not including food for the week, and we were not happy that we weren't informed 3 of the 5 days were going to feel like more like the animals were loose at the zoo than being at Disneyland.
    I am so sick of Frozen I can't even describe the feeling.

• I'm from Canada eh!

Grad nights sound like a terrible idea. I wish that DL would stop offering it. Sorry bout your trip!

If they went back to running it as a completely separate, private party, without all-day admission tickets beforehand it would solve most (or all) of the issues.

•   

Memorial Day weekend will be terrible. Not only do they have Grad Nites planned but the 24 hour party will take place. I think the best plan for me is to stay away. I live close by the park and the traffic will be bad along with no parking available. What were they thinking??

•   
    • Minion

Dr Fink - I am sorry about what happened on your trip. I hope Disney will take the time to actually respond to your concerns!

Quote Originally Posted by bigcatrik View Post
    If they went back to running it as a completely separate, private party, without all-day admission tickets beforehand it would solve most (or all) of the issues.
    YES. That would be logic now, wouldn't it?

Even economically I would think it would work better for Disney to return to the closed parties. The grads are going to buy what they buy regardless if they have a private park or not - but with the mix-ins, Disney loses profit from the regular guests who give up, who are deterred from returning, etc. because they've had to endure the grads.

We will be there May 21-23. If I had known the Grad nites were going on, I wouldve planned differently. Oh well. Plan is DL on Tuesday, then we'll have to rough DCA I guess on the 22nd (grad nite). 23rd will be our flex day to do whatever. Staying at the GC so maybe we can just get outta the parks early and chill by the pool.

I will say I went during May in 2009 & 2011 and dont remember any bad experiences. I do think at night it did get pretty packed but by then we were wiped out anyway we just called it a day.

I was also at Disneyland during the same exact time frame and can vouch for what DrFink is writing. I used to be an Annual Passholder (although I live in Texas) and went to Disneyland at least once a month. I moved overseas and this was my first visit in 4 years and I was sorely disappointed. The cutting in line (the old "my family is up there"), the ride closures, and the overall changes had me wondering if it's worth the price anymore. Blue Bayou has drastically changed their menu (what have they done with the Monte Cristo?) plus you no longer can get a pirate hat for the kids or gold dubloons with your check. On many occasions, we were trampled by LARGE "kids" who claimed their "family is up there" and the employees witnessed it and did nothing. The handicapped access for the attractions was full of non-handicapped people in numbers I have never seen before. (Disneyland has got to set a limit on this! See the Yahoo story today about Disney World and handicapped people getting paid to take people with them in the "short" line.) I was also disappointed to see the trash on the ground like I did. I've never seen Disneyland in such disarray. My dream of returning wasn't everything I thought it would be. Perhaps dreams no longer come true?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast