Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Former Churro Jockey

Re: My week at Disneyland - Learning the hard way to avoid the month of May

I went to my own Grad Nite back in 95, and I worked probably five or six grad nights in the late 90's. It was strange, some nights the kids would be just fine and seemed like they were there just to have fun, and other nights it seemed like all of the kids were there trying to figure out what they had to do to get thrown out of the park. Back then the chaperones all hung out at the Plaza Inn all night and didn't go on the rides, and we as cast members were told that city hall was closed and no one could file a complaint against us, so we were free to do whatever we had to in order to survive the night. I generally tried to have fun with the grads. Most of them would come up to my churro or popcorn wagon and try and get free stuff, and I'd tell them that if they could come up with a really good reason why I should give them something free, I would. If they didn't have a good story (I remember one kid coming up to me telling me that he bought a churro from someone else and a bird swooped down out of the air and snatched the churro right out of his hand, and he wanted another one, and I told him it was 3:00AM and there were no birds out at night)I would tell them to wait 10 minutes and then come back later on with a better story.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

I love Disney but this Grad Nite fiasco needs to be addressed. I have written some feedback to them. It's heartbreaking for people to have to deal with the arrangement that they have right now. Need to change things going forward.

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by Tamiele View Post
    I love Disney but this Grad Nite fiasco needs to be addressed. I have written some feedback to them. It's heartbreaking for people to have to deal with the arrangement that they have right now. Need to change things going forward.
    I highly encourage and would go far enough to ask people to contact Disney about the current Grad Night situation. If enough people complain and bring it up the more likely it is for them to do something about it.

I wrote out something on a feedback site I found on google but it froze on me and I have an idea it wasn't the right place anyways. Maybe we could post a link here?? I would if I knew the right link to put.

Okay I went back and found this and also put my comments there. Please let me know if I am somehow breaking the rules by providing this link. https://disneyland.disney.go.com/help/email/
    Last edited by Tamiele; 05-16-2013 at 05:32 PM.

• The doctor is in

I'm waiting for a response to the email I sent them earlier this week. I'm expecting a generic email response thanking me for my visit but I am hopeful that it was forwarded to a CM in a high enough position to thoroughly report the issues.

Go to you tube and search "Disneyland Grad Night" - it is a real eye opener!

I am wondering if starting a new thread to get new attention, spread the word and get others to write in about it.

• The doctor is in

I got a response to my email I sent Disney earlier in the week. I would rather not disclose what Guest Relations wrote back just yet until everything is resolved, but I highly encourage everyone to give them feedback with issues like these. You might be surprised what they respond with.

I quite agree. When I was a teen, that was how it was done. Get there in the evening, get in late, stay all night. What's up with the all-day passes as well?

Went to the DLR today... and it was Grad Night. it was so packed we couldn't do much. Fireworks were also halted mid-show due to wind at higher elevations. I did try the Storyteller's Cafe today and it was the highlight of the day. Learned the hard way, AVOID Grad Night at all costs!!! I also have to add the CMs were a little more grumpy today, possibly due to Grad Night. And security bag checks were VERY thorough

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by DonaldMissingPants View Post
    Went to the DLR today... and it was Grad Night. it was so packed we couldn't do much. Fireworks were also halted mid-show due to wind at higher elevations. I did try the Storyteller's Cafe today and it was the highlight of the day. Learned the hard way, AVOID Grad Night at all costs!!! I also have to add the CMs were a little more grumpy today, possibly due to Grad Night. And security bag checks were VERY thorough
    Send Disney and email about your experience. The more people who make them aware of this Grad Night disaster the more likely they are to change it back to how it was before.
    In the response I got the Guest Relations person said she wished I would have gone to City Hall during my visit and complained or mentioned my frustrations to any CM. I actually did mention the week of hell to a host at Cafe Orleans and she seemed pretty disappointed, but I didn't expect or want her to run and do anything about it. Here is an excerpt from the response I got:

"Throughout the Resort, we encourage our Guests to express their concerns
    while visiting. Our Cast Members receive extensive training and are able
    to assist in resolving such situations. We regret that we were not
    informed of your disappointment during your visit. Please accept our
    sincerest apology for the inconveniences."

I agree with your opinion of FastPasses. We went to WDW and Disneyland for many years before FP. We didn't need to go back and forth across the park to meet ride times. It makes it much less stressful. It's true we could just ignore FP and pretend they don't exist, but then the standby lines are obnoxiously long. Unfortunately, Disney is making FP more of a requirement with the FP+ implementation. Still, they must be doing it right because my Disney stock is doing great lol.
    As for the teenagers, I really miss the days when watched their kids and didn't have to be reminded by Disney on every ride. I feel very lucky to be old enough to have enjoyed Disney parks when people were better behaved. I had the misfortunate to visit WDW during the time the Brazil groups were there. Chanting, singing, clapping, pushing, shoving... I know someone who's only visit to WDW was during one of the weeks the Brazil groups were there. They asked me how I could stand going to WDW, it was the most miserable place on earth they told me.

In spite of all the real or imagined flaws of Disney parks, they're still the best. The key is knowing when to visit

I'm with the consensus and I too am sorry your trip was completely enjoyable. But I must ask, was your trip spontaneous or planned out? I am guessing planned but it kind of sounds like you didn't plan for the grad night. It's impossible to plan far in advance when it comes to weather, but a schedule of event is released long in advance as well as scheduled ride closures.

As far as the inaccurate wait times, I think Disney has this thing of "only being able to post the minimum." I say this because as I write this, I am currently at WDW in the Contemporary Resort. And earlier today I went on Big Thunder here and as I entered, the wait time said 20 minutes, but I practically walked on. When I got to the loading area, I asked the male CM if he was aware that the front said it was 20 minutes. The guy answered saying that was the lowest they could go because Disney wants them to show a minimum number of wait times on certain days, like busy days for one I guess. Maybe you experience the same thing.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by stitchfanocala View Post
    I'm with the consensus and I too am sorry your trip was completely enjoyable. But I must ask, was your trip spontaneous or planned out? I am guessing planned but it kind of sounds like you didn't plan for the grad night. It's impossible to plan far in advance when it comes to weather, but a schedule of event is released long in advance as well as scheduled ride closures.

As far as the inaccurate wait times, I think Disney has this thing of "only being able to post the minimum." I say this because as I write this, I am currently at WDW in the Contemporary Resort. And earlier today I went on Big Thunder here and as I entered, the wait time said 20 minutes, but I practically walked on. When I got to the loading area, I asked the male CM if he was aware that the front said it was 20 minutes. The guy answered saying that was the lowest they could go because Disney wants them to show a minimum number of wait times on certain days, like busy days for one I guess. Maybe you experience the same thing.

My trip was obviously planned as I traveled from another state. I had to save up my money, book and watch airfare, request leave to be in California for a week, etc.. I have never been able to just say, I don't have anything to do today I think I'll go to Disneyland.

I knew Grad Nights happened, but I had no idea they happened as early as the first week of May and the fact that Disney does not disclose the dates on their website I assumed (though I know better now) they wouldn't affect my trip. I also was under the impression that teens entering for Grad Night were not allowed to frolic around both parks all day. I know now to avoid this time of year at all costs.

As for the wait times, it wasn't with them having wait times that were too long despite rides basically being a walk on. The problem was them having the minimum wait times posted despite the waits being much longer. When you enter a line with a posted wait time of 20min and your wait winds up being 60+ that is unacceptable. I don't think anyone has ever complained that the posted wait time was longer than the wait actually was.

Dr. Fink we have the same access to Disney. We get there about once a year for about 4 days. I stay current on DL news by reading this board. We are as knowledgeable about the Disney parks as we possibly can be and that is why we can say that there is a definite Disney blunder with the way they are handling Grad Night 2013. Why do you have to get that information from Trip Advisor? Why are large numbers of rowdy grads allowed to be in the parks throughout the day? A total recipe for disaster. The traveller, like Dr. Fink and my family, are left without options and blindsided by these dates. If you can't announce the dates to the public (although I can't imagine why not) then at least please keep the grads in the one park and have them only in the park for time of their event. Problem solved.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast