Pre-1983 Fantasyland dark rides: do any photos or film of them exist on the web?

Does anybody know what the pre-1983 Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, and Snow White dark rides looked like compared to their current incarnations?

I've looked on Youtube for ride videos and around the web for images and haven't found anything.

I've read that the main characters like Peter Pan and Alice weren't actually in the rides because the rider was supposed to "be the character". Does anybody have any memories of riding these rides in their original versions?

Re: Pre-1983 Fantasyland dark rides: do any photos or film of them exist on the web?

After riding Pan last weekend, it seems to me that the ride was a bit longer years ago...but I mostly think that it just my nostalgic memory of it. I will poke around and see what I can find JT.

Re: Pre-1983 Fantasyland dark rides: do any photos or film of them exist on the web?

There are 30 seconds of the original rides in this clip from "40 Pounds of Trouble" at 4:20. They fly into the Peter Pan building but the clips are from Snow White and Mr. Toad. Ah, movie editing...
    Part 1 - YouTube

I went on them all many times as a youngster and I don't remember the changes seeming all that different, maybe they added a little refinement and grander scale on sets and characters in the newer versions, but nothing like an upgrade to PotC or HM sets and animatronics.

And widescreen stills from that movie's Disneyland section are in a recent MiceAge post:
    http://miceage.micechat.com/allutz/al021610a.htm

I seem to recall that there wasn't so much day-glo paint used.

• Disneyland History Lover

Quote Originally Posted by bigcatrik View Post
    There are 30 seconds of the original rides in this clip from "40 Pounds of Trouble" at 4:20. They fly into the Peter Pan building but the clips are from Snow White and Mr. Toad. Ah, movie editing...
    Part 1 - YouTube

I went on them all many times as a youngster and I don't remember the changes seeming all that different, maybe they added a little refinement and grander scale on sets and characters in the newer versions, but nothing like an upgrade to PotC or HM sets and animatronics.

And widescreen stills from that movie's Disneyland section are in a recent MiceAge post:
    Disneyland stills from 40 Pounds of Trouble - MiceAge.com
    Haha, that witch in Snow White is creepy! It's interesting to see the other things in there, albeit at a glance, that were different back then. The animated police officer on Toad seems like more of an effect than just a wooden cutout.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Have you checked YESTERLAND already

• I'm a Lutheran

I did a lot of research on vintage dark rides about a year ago, particularly Scary Adventures. From what I've scrounged up, there was a porticulus that crashed down to block riders from leaving the Queen's Castle, the silhouette of the Queen in witch form was seen, there was a talking skeleton, and female ride operators dressed up like Snow White.

A little while ago, I found some old (and terrifying) pictures of Alice in Wonderland, including a room with countless Cheshire Cat cutouts of different sizes and colors, and a snapping tiger lily in the flower scene that would jump up and scare riders. There was also a Cheshire Cat that would pop up and scare riders.
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

• Johnny and Me!

Quote Originally Posted by MANEATINGWREATH View Post
    There was also a Cheshire Cat that would pop up and scare riders.
    And that he did. The cutout of the Cheshire Cat activated like an old intersection stop-light/sign. He swung from the ceiling towards the riders' path. Gave both my mom & my 5-year-old self a massive jolt!

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, and this isn't exclusively Disneyland, but this article from the blog Passport to Dreams Old & New looks at the various incarnations of the Snow White dark ride in Disneyland, Walt Disney World, and Tokyo Disneyland, and how the ride was changed in each new version that opened.

There's some really interesting (if slightly academic) stuff on her blog, which focuses more on Walt Disney World, but touches on Disneyland from time to time, especially in comparison to the other Magic Kingdoms.

Thanks very much for the information everybody.

That Upsidedown room in the old Alice ride looks very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcatrik View Post
    Part 1 - YouTube

Disneyland stills from 40 Pounds of Trouble - MiceAge.com
    I finally got a chance to watch this clip. I loved it! So cool to see the Matterhorn climbers almost jumping down the mountain. Which FL ride were the vultures in? How did all the women back then talk like the CM on Storybook Ride? LOL!

• Suspended

I've searched for years and no, I do not believe, even with the media we have, that there is ANY pre-1981 footage of the original 1955 dark rides INSIDE. Now they DID film the dark rides loading areas for a Fantasyland 8mm film in the late 70s but that is as close as you'll get. The "footage" from that 8mm film are actually just still pics of the dark rides with the camera panning.