Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011

Re: People abusing GAC

Quote Originally Posted by Acpisme View Post
    While he is offering to abusing his PAP discount privileges, the rest of what the man offering his guide services is not terribly different than if someone does this for family and friends for free. I think there is a huge difference between what he is offering compared to what the "front of line" guides are offering.
    yes i agree 100% i hope i did not come across as lumping him in with the others if i did not already know the park fairly well i would think about him.

• Disney Fan 4 Life

Quote Originally Posted by mousedaddy View Post
    yes i agree 100% i hope i did not come across as lumping him in with the others if i did not already know the park fairly well i would think about him.
    Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy.

“To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.” - Walt Disney, Disneyland Opening Day Speech 1955

View my new Budget Disney Blog here: http://budgetdisneylandresort.blogspot.com/

•   
    • Minion

Regardless of their type of GAC, the people doing this make it difficult for people with legitimate need to access and use this service. Especially those that do not have the outward appearance of need.
    This.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Minion

While he is offering to abusing his PAP discount privileges, the rest of what the man offering his guide services is not terribly different than if someone does this for family and friends for free. I think there is a huge difference between what he is offering compared to what the "front of line" guides are offering.

You an find private guides to cities all over the place, so I don't see a problem with it within the parks. There is a company offering private guide walking tours in a local old town, where they go into businesses and around town with folks (who drive themselves) and give out town facts and history.
    As protective as the park is, and should be, about their services (and they do offer their own guides), I think even the "tour" part could be suspect.

I've done a lot of traveling around the world and hired the services of many a guide. And there are some places that require the guide to pay, while others will just wave them through when they show their badge. There are also many places that will not allow guides in at all. My guides will always be honest about this and say they can drop me off in front and wait while I go inside, but that they themselves can't go in with me (since they are my hired guide).

So how would the park feel about someone making money off being a park guide, especially if they haven't cleared it with Disney? I dunno. I do see groups in the park with a leader, etc., on occasion. Did they clear it with Disney? Quite possibly. I mean, even getting into the parking lot it used to be that tour companies (unless they were on a list that had some prearranged contract with the park) had to pay every time they brought someone in.

Just being a guide, or calling yourself one, doesn't always allow carte blanche in all places of business.

• Under that tree again!

CMs are very often guilt of spreading urban legends as truth. Just being or having been a CM doesn't make them experts of facts. Look at the VIP plaids who will tell you the clock under the Castle is set to the time Walt Disney died, or the gold thing on the ground in Fantasyland mark the center of the park as examples of pros giving false information.

If you need tips and advice just ask me. I can share a lot. I will speak generally so you can use the information for a more relaxed visit.

While planning a trip and worrying about lines is a reality for many, there are lots of internet sites with the answers all laid out.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Disney Fan 4 Life

I was not planning on using anyone's services, and frankly with the internet availability, and a little time and planning, anyone can be an incredibly informed theme park visitor. The best thing that "guide" offers is the ability to have someone be an extra pair of hands when you come with children. But you can obtain services like that from licensed individuals that you can bring into the park. Frankly, I could see a market for licensed child care providers willing to meet up with parents at the resort to take children to the park to allow parents some alone time during a trip or to go through the park with parents as a day "nanny" so to speak to assist while visiting.

on myself! lol

This digresses from the topic at hand, which is the people who assist with GAC abuse, which is seemingly more and more coming to light. I was rather saddened to find the ads we have previously posted and their potential to ruin the program for legitimate users.

“To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.” - Walt Disney, Disneyland Opening Day Speech 1955

View my new Budget Disney Blog here: http://budgetdisneylandresort.blogspot.com/

• Pilot EdForceOne

It's gaming a loophole in the system. No one can argue the people using the system in a way the GAC card was intended for.

Just because there is no explict rule written against something, it doesn't mean it's tolerated behavior. Try walking around the park advertising you'll take people's photos for $5 and see how long before you get approached by Disney and asked to stop and/or leave.

You an find private guides to cities all over the place, so I don't see a problem with it within the parks. There is a company offering private guide walking tours in a local old town, where they go into businesses and around town with folks (who drive themselves) and give out town facts and history.
    Different - a guide through a public place like a city.. is not the same as offering guide services solely on private property. Disney has the right to control who can sell services within their property. Disney generally doesn't address the private tour guides because its difficult to police and the gain probably isn't worth the risk. But if you start flaunting their graces.. you will get asked to leave. As some Disney bloggers have found out in the past.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Disney Fan 4 Life

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    It's gaming a loophole in the system. No one can argue the people using the system in a way the GAC card was intended for.

Just because there is no explict rule written against something, it doesn't mean it's tolerated behavior. Try walking around the park advertising you'll take people's photos for $5 and see how long before you get approached by Disney and asked to stop and/or leave.

Different - a guide through a public place like a city.. is not the same as offering guide services solely on private property. Disney has the right to control who can sell services within their property. Disney generally doesn't address the private tour guides because its difficult to police and the gain probably isn't worth the risk. But if you start flaunting their graces.. you will get asked to leave. As some Disney bloggers have found out in the past.
    Please pardon, but I never said it was tolerated, as I have no idea how Disney would take such offers and what they would do about it. I said the former cast member is no different than what someone who is local does with friends and family when they join them at the parks. I have many times joined friends and family and was an unofficial tour guide with tidbits and getting around the park, etc. I think he crosses the line with the offer to use his PAP discounts. The only difference between what he is doing and what I have done, is that I didn't get paid for it

'Course I also said "I was not planning on using anyone's services, and frankly with the internet availability, and a little time and planning, anyone can be an incredibly informed theme park visitor. The best thing that "guide" offers is the ability to have someone be an extra pair of hands when you come with children. But you can obtain services like that from licensed individuals that you can bring into the park. Frankly, I could see a market for licensed child care providers willing to meet up with parents at the resort to take children to the park to allow parents some alone time during a trip or to go through the park with parents as a day "nanny" so to speak to assist while visiting. "

I think we are on the same page as to the original subject of the combined thread. I think the folks that are using their GAC in order to provide it as a "service" to those who aren't known outside of the business transaction, are causing all legitimate users who travel with family or friends a disservice.

•   
    • Minion

Re: NTPOST article: Handicap Tour guides for hire at Disney Parks to get GAC (Merged)

Unfortunately the only way to limit this might be to restrict the number of people allowed to go through the disabled line with the GAC holder. That would be so problematic, though. Say you have one disabled parent, their partner and a kid. If you limit it to two people (GAC +1), who gets left behind? Same scenario with a sick kid and two parents, or a parent and sibling. Or three friends, or two sets of couples visiting. Who gets left out? It really hurts the people who truly need the system.

Another way perhaps would be to give GACs that only admit the holder, and require guests to register, present their tickets and get temporary passes. I have a GAC and I wouldn't mind doing that at all. My GAC actually only admits me, so if I went to the park with a friend, I would have to go to City Hall to add someone to it anyway. And my AP number was recorded when I got my GAC, so they know who has it. If these GAC tour guides were showing up all the time and registering a new set of four or five guests at every visit, it might raise some red flags.

Again, though, what if you have a disabled family member or friend and you're always going to the park with them? It would be a hassle to do that dance at City Hall every time.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Re: NTPOST article: Handicap Tour guides for hire at Disney Parks to get GAC (Merged)

If I didn't know the parks reasonably well on my own, that tour guide with the Premium pass would look pretty good (not any of the GAC ones - the one who is just presenting as a guide and helper).
    It's clearly a gray area, because I don't see any issue with him selling his services as a knowledgeable person. I don't see how it's any different than hiring a nanny to go around the park with you if you need another adult. Like another person said, along with everything else he offers, it's another set of hands.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011