Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Senior Minion

re: NTPOST article: Handicap Tour guides for hire at Disney Parks to get GAC (Merged)

Quote Originally Posted by loungefly97 View Post
    What is the difference between this and a group inviting someone they know that is disabled in order to get through lines more quickly? The only difference I see is that the disabled person is being paid. My ex boss has one leg amputated above the knee and was willing to go to Disneyland whenever and talked about how great it is for those that go with him because they can avoid some lines.

Perhaps I read the story wrong, but these people being hired would legitimately need the GAC service if they visited under other circumstances, yes? So how are they not using the card legitimately? The only distinction I can think of is that they otherwise may not have gone to Disneyland that day and are being paid to go. I don't have a problem with that distinction.

If I paid for my ex boss' ticket to Disneyland for a little advantage, am I abusing the system?
    I'm sorry, I don't know how answer your questions.

I honestly wouldn't know where to begin.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Disney Fan 4 Life

re: NTPOST article: Handicap Tour guides for hire at Disney Parks to get GAC (Merged)

Having several friends with legitimate needs use the GAC (and not always in conjunction with a scooter or wheelchair rental) make me think that such business practices and anyone deliberately bringing someone to use them is wrong. It is such a struggle for those with no real outward appearance of an issue to gain assistance. These types of abuse make it even worse for them. The GAC is in place so that people with an issue have a shot at enjoying the parks, because without them that might not be a possibility. People that abuse are what causes other people with legitimate issues having to put up with comments and nasty looks, and possibly losing the hand up it provides them. How would someone feel if having done something like this causes someone who legitimately needs it to lose it and force them to not being able to visit?

I'm guessing the entitled parents in the article wouldn't care, but frankly they and anyone else doing so should!
    Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy.

“To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.” - Walt Disney, Disneyland Opening Day Speech 1955

View my new Budget Disney Blog here: http://budgetdisneylandresort.blogspot.com/

• Chief Troublemaker

So it appears that a lot of this was through a particular business that as a rule arranges trips FOR special needs individuals. On their website they have a button that apparently was some sort of link to this 'sideline'. That button has now been de-activated with a statement regarding the article. I am not providing any links to the business. I put this in the same category as ticket re-selling. It is NOT what Disney intended the GAC for, anymore than re-selling days is what Disney intended the multi-day ticket for.

It is one thing to invite a disabled friend to the Parks, possibly even pay for their ticket, and accompany their friend on rides using their GAC. If the ONLY reason you went to the park with said friend is to piggyback on their GAC my opinion is you are probably not following the 'letter of the law*' but probably within the 'spirit of the law' since it is a FRIEND accompanying a FRIEND (with GAC). But I find it terrible to think that anyone would only be 'friends' with someone just because they can get a GAC!! It is totally another thing for a complete stranger to CHARGE (or PAY) another complete stranger to piggyback on their GAC. That is so far from the 'spirit of the law' as to be unconscionable.

It's a pretty threadbare morality if someone thinks that 'hiring' a disabled stranger in order to piggyback on their GAC, or to (pardon my language) 'pimp' ones GAC out to strangers is any different than those who lie to Disney about a nonexistent disability in order to get a GAC. The intent of the GAC was for a disabled person and their LOVED ONES (friends or family) to be able to enjoy the parks TOGETHER. Not to provide a supposed 'front of the line' pass for random strangers.

Unfortunately, if this becomes truly widespread you can expect Disney to take some type of action as they did with the re-sellers. And that can only end up hurting those who truly need, appreciate, and use the GAC as it was intended to be used.

*law=Disney's rule. I know the GAC isn't a 'law'.

This is, of course, my own opinion and is not directed at any specific individual. Other people may think differently & we are all entitled to our own opinions here on MC.
    Last edited by Stormy; 05-14-2013 at 01:15 PM.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

It's already affecting those who genuinely need a GAC. My friend Sara lives outside of Orlando and her mom came from South Carolina to visit. She has knee issues and can't walk a lot, so they got her a scooter. They found it didn't really save a lot of time on most rides anymore, or at least not as much as it used to. Most newer rides comply with ADA guidelines so wheelchair and scooter guests go into the regular line ride with everyone else. When there is a separate line, she found that they wait in a little anteroom near the exit and often have to wait almost as long as they would in the regular line. Since her mom uses the scooter because she has to and not to line-jump they don't mind but I'm sure those who "rent" a GAC are mad when it doesn't always save the time they thought it would.

• Chief Troublemaker

I thought of another thing! It's so hard for me to believe that a business whose main purpose (apparently) is to facilitate vacations for disabled people would dis-respect Disney's rules as they apparently are doing. One would think that they, of all people, would understand & respect the purpose of the GAC!

Among the 'testimonials' on the website for this business was this gem. I suppose it could be for a family with a disabled member (so I've removed the client's name) but it sure doesn't sound like it, IMHO. The other testimonials I read all mentioned having a person/child with a disability. Note the part I bolded;

“My family’s experience with you and (business name) was fantastic! “Your ability to get us to the head of the line really maximized the time we were able to enjoy all facets of the park and made the fly along. You were constantly upbeat and I feel that I made a fast friend. Simply put, my family and I want to thank you for a memorable day.”Sincerely, (redacted)

Last edited by Stormy; 05-14-2013 at 01:36 PM.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

We went to WDW in 2006 and my son was in a wheelchair with a torn ACL. We did get in the front of most of the lines. Last October we went to Disneyland and my husband was in a wheelchair with a broken foot. We went thru the regular line and waited just as long if not longer than everyone else, especially on Toy Story Mania. The only rides we went thru the wheelchair entrance were Big Thunder Mtn and Pirates, which i'm sure we waited longer than the regular lines. The amount of abuse we saw in those 2 lines was sickening but the CM's seemed to catch most of them and booted them out.

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Unfortunately, if this becomes truly widespread you can expect Disney to take some type of action as they did with the re-sellers. And that can only end up hurting those who truly need, appreciate, and use the GAC as it was intended to be used.
    I don't think there is a whole lot they can do. If this tour company was legitimately trying to sell tours to folks with special needs, what is wrong with that? The tour company wouldn't be allowed to ask about the nature of any medical condition any more than Disney does, and would simply have to take their word for it. This is no different than any guest who walks up to City Hall and asks for a GAC whether they have a legitimate need or not.

Even if there was something that could be done, which I can't fathom, is there really a need to do something? My understanding of the ADA is that it requires equal access, and legally that means the guests waiting in line can wait just as long as the guests waiting in any other line. If the ADA line is shorter than the regular line, then those guests are still being helped and anyone who legitimately needs a GAC can still use it. If the line starts to get as long as or longer than the regular line, those folks who don't have a legitimate need for the GAC will jump into the shorter line.

It will self regulate itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    I'm sorry, I don't know how answer your questions.

I honestly wouldn't know where to begin.
    The larger problem is people who aren't really disabled using the service. I went once where a friend brought a friend who has a GAC for a BS reason and used it on HM while the 3 of us were there. I went along, but never want to do that again. I find it pretty rude to fake a disability for a line advantage.

In this case we're talking about a real disability.

Disney is going to have a difficult time, though, differentiating between people who had made plans ahead of time and the injury was unforeseen, people who have a disabled family member that they are truly bringing to Disneyland, people who chip in to bring along someone who is disabled in order to use that to their advantage, and people who pay someone who is disabled to come along with them to give them an advantage.

At heart, though, what I don't get is what is the real complaint here? That the disabled people are selling their disability as an advantage? That the people with means are paying for it? That those with injuries who are there under "honest" circumstances have an increased wait time? Is it just an emotional response to a violation of the "spirit" of Disney's rules? Is it all of the above?

• -

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    My understanding of the ADA is that it requires equal access, and legally that means the guests waiting in line can wait just as long as the guests waiting in any other line.
    It requires reasonable accommodation, not equal access. There is a big difference. If it required equal access, Disney would have to make all their lines able to accommodate wheel chairs. Reasonable accommodation means that Disney can find an alternate method for disabled riders to wait in line for a ride so they don’t have to go back and redesign all the outdated queues. Some times this works out to the advantage of the disabled rider, most of the time it doesn’t.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    Exactly. It would be like paying a Best Buy employee to use their employee discount so that you could save a few bucks on a 70" flat screen. It is abusing a system by using it for a purpose for which it was not intended to the detriment of others.
    well... not necessarily. getting a discount at Best Buy doesn't affect anyone else (except for Best Buy). This affects other guests because it increases the wait for other GAC guests and regular line guests at most attractions. I think that Disney should do what they did with RSR so that the regular queue can accommodate wheelchairs so that everyone, even GAC, wait the same line. Then people wouldn't cheat the system and people that legitimately need GAC won't get the stink eye or be called out. Or they could slow down the GAC line so that the wait in the stand by and the GAC line are the same

• Chief Troublemaker

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    I don't think there is a whole lot they can do. If this tour company was legitimately trying to sell tours to folks with special needs, what is wrong with that? The tour company wouldn't be allowed to ask about the nature of any medical condition any more than Disney does, and would simply have to take their word for it. This is no different than any guest who walks up to City Hall and asks for a GAC whether they have a legitimate need or not.

Even if there was something that could be done, which I can't fathom, is there really a need to do something? My understanding of the ADA is that it requires equal access, and legally that means the guests waiting in line can wait just as long as the guests waiting in any other line. If the ADA line is shorter than the regular line, then those guests are still being helped and anyone who legitimately needs a GAC can still use it. If the line starts to get as long as or longer than the regular line, those folks who don't have a legitimate need for the GAC will jump into the shorter line.

It will self regulate itself.
    I'll clarify myself. I don't have a problem with any business that facilitates vacations for the disabled. I think that part of it is a great service. I do have a problem when that same business charges $130.00/hour to have one of their own disabled employees accompany a non-disabled family to Disney World so that that family can use her GAC, which is apparently what they are/were doing.

• world class bilge rat

If the 'rich moms' who abuse this system were to be given a fair trial then taken out back and shot, the world would be a better place..........

Isn't there a simple solution to this?

1) Make every line ADA compliant.
    2) Enable ride scheduling.

I'm not even sure why there needs to be a GAC pass. If next gen tech can schedule rides, why does there need to be a GAC pass. Solution to all problems. If you want spur of the moment and are wheelchair bound, the line will accommodate you. If you can't handle lines, schedule your ride and show up. No abusing the system, everyone on the same playing field.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by loungefly97 View Post
    In this case we're talking about a real disability.
    No, not really - you missed the entire story. The story is about people paying for a tour.. with the intention of using the GAC to cut the lines. The fact the tour guide legitimately needs the GAC or not really isn't of substance when it comes to the morality of those using the tour company for this reason alone.

Separately, the tour guide using the GAC for this purpose is totally gaming Disney's system. They really skirted saying they use the GAC for the tours on their website.. but it's damn close.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Disneyland Dreamer

Simple solution... when a GAC and group shows up at the exit or wherever they show up... take the posted wait time, and let them wait. Seems pretty simple...

Now that being said, I've read a lot here about non-physical disabilities (autism and similar) whereby the individuals cannot wait in line or they have episodes... Does the above still work for those?

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast