Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

NTPOST article: Handicap Tour guides for hire at Disney Parks to get GAC (Merged)

I think Disney might have a problem... people like this ruin it for the real handicap guests who are just there for a good time and need assistance.

Rich moms shamelessly hire disabled tour guides so their kids can cut long lines.
    Wealthy Manhattan moms hire handicapped tour guides to bypass lines at Disney World - NYPOST.com

• -

re: NTPOST article: Handicap Tour guides for hire at Disney Parks to get GAC (Merged)

First I would like to commend those wheel chair bound individuals who found a way to make lemonade from life's lemons and potentially be able to make six figures while going to Disneyland/World every day.

That said however, those people who would actually use this service are the lowest of human beings. To pay someone with a disability just so your little prince or princess doesn't have to wait in a long line is beyond dispicable.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

•   
    • Minion

re: NTPOST article: Handicap Tour guides for hire at Disney Parks to get GAC (Merged)

This really is despicable. People who legitimately need GACs and ECVs already deal with so much judgment from people; now this?!

• Minion

Shameful. If they claim to make so much money, they should pony up that cash and buy a VIP tour. So pathetic.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

Quote Originally Posted by pinkertonfloyd View Post
    Rich moms shamelessly hire disabled tour guides so their kids can cut long lines.
    Wealthy Manhattan moms hire handicapped tour guides to bypass lines at Disney World - NYPOST.com
    This NYPost "article" is advance advertising for an upcoming book by Wednesday Martin, who also writes for the NYPost.

Passing around the rogue guide service’s phone number recently became a shameless ritual among Manhattan’s private-school set during spring break. The service asks who referred you before they even take your call.
    "The service" needs a referral to ensure a consistent "Manhattan private-school" surcharge

• Disney Fan 4 Life

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    This really is despicable. People who legitimately need GACs and ECVs already deal with so much judgment from people; now this?!
    So this!
    Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy.

“To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.” - Walt Disney, Disneyland Opening Day Speech 1955

View my new Budget Disney Blog here: http://budgetdisneylandresort.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Nonsuch View Post
    This NYPost "article" is advance advertising for an upcoming book by Wednesday Martin, who also writes for the NYPost.

"The service" needs a referral to ensure a consistent "Manhattan private-school" surcharge
    She also writes for Huffington Post, and Psychology Today. Doesn't change the story though.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nonsuch View Post

The service asks who referred you before they even take your call.
    Just say: "Romney referred me."
    and you'll get a: "OK, you're in."

I saw this posted on another non-disney board... and the stories of people who have "worked the system" sure are flying.

Disney is stuck between a HIPPA and a ADA place...

Most my friend know that I use a GAC when I go to Disneyland, so most of them try to invite me when they want to go to the parks (can you blame them?). I have had my ticket bought by a friend before in exchange for me going with them, but I can't believe that people are making this a job.

Even as a struggling actress looking for a good day job (with a lot of credit card debt), I wouldn't ever do something like this.

• Blew By You

How about a good GAC story. I've posted before about this. Our daughter who is autistic is in control of the card. She can use it when she feels it'll be better for her or she can not use it when she wants to wait in a queue. It's about at 50-50 usage. It is a great tool for managing her autism.
    Those few will get caught.

I'll probably be the only person here who doesn't have a fundamental problem with this. Just because money changes hands, to me, doesn't make something immoral. If you have 2 adults consenting to make a deal that's mutually beneficial to them, great.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by loungefly97 View Post
    I'll probably be the only person here who doesn't have a fundamental problem with this. Just because money changes hands, to me, doesn't make something immoral. If you have 2 adults consenting to make a deal that's mutually beneficial to them, great.
    It's not about "money changing hands between 2 adults." By scamming Disney's GAC system, these people negatively affect those who legitimately need GACs.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    It's not about "money changing hands between 2 adults." By scamming Disney's GAC system, these people negatively affect those who legitimately need GACs.
    Exactly. It would be like paying a Best Buy employee to use their employee discount so that you could save a few bucks on a 70" flat screen. It is abusing a system by using it for a purpose for which it was not intended to the detriment of others.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    What is the difference between this and a group inviting someone they know that is disabled in order to get through lines more quickly? The only difference I see is that the disabled person is being paid. My ex boss has one leg amputated above the knee and was willing to go to Disneyland whenever and talked about how great it is for those that go with him because they can avoid some lines.

Perhaps I read the story wrong, but these people being hired would legitimately need the GAC service if they visited under other circumstances, yes? So how are they not using the card legitimately? The only distinction I can think of is that they otherwise may not have gone to Disneyland that day and are being paid to go. I don't have a problem with that distinction.

If I paid for my ex boss' ticket to Disneyland for a little advantage, am I abusing the system?

Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast