Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Motor Boats why did they remove them?

I am sure its been discussed before but why did they remove the motor boats behind the matterhorn? I loved this as a child. Yes I enjoy the area now for relaxing and eating lunch but much rather enjoyed the boats.

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

Re: Motor Boats why did they remove them?

I'm with you on that! I loved the motor boats when I was a kid! I was so sad when Disney got rid of them

• I'm reaching new Horizons

I thought I heard that they removed them after the Disney Afternoon Avenue promotion when they turned it into the Gummy Bears Gummy Glenn Cruise. They were taken out due to high maintenance cost and very low capacity. I'm actually one of those who never understood what made the ride good. I remember little of it, but I recall falling into a nap while my parents relaxed.

Be check out my movie review blog at:

Mastermind Film Productions

I remember it well you had control over the gas pedal and they were obviously on a track in which the sterring wheel moved freely...kids enjoyed them as the adults could sit back and relax for a short trip! I could understand the cost of gas and maintaining the engines but it's no different than the Autopia ..which if my mind serves me correct have changed over time as the engines cut off when stopped and then automatically start again when the gas peddle is pressed.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by my03yellowv View Post
    I remember it well you had control over the gas pedal and they were obviously on a track in which the sterring wheel moved freely...kids enjoyed them as the adults could sit back and relax for a short trip! I could understand the cost of gas and maintaining the engines but it's no different than the Autopia ..which if my mind serves me correct have changed over time as the engines cut off when stopped and then automatically start again when the gas peddle is pressed.
    I think the gas pedal just made a sound effect. It didn't really seem to do anything.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Are you sure about that I thought it actually made the rear motor blow air out the prop and move they boat...I could be wrong but I thought I remember as you pushed the pedal you could here the rpm's in the motor rev. Obviously it was many years ago.

• Capt without a ship...

The pedals did actually work - you felt the rumble, saw the splash and like the autopia, if you took your foot off the gas, the boat stopped.

• Just this guy......

Quote Originally Posted by RSZero1 View Post
    The pedals did actually work - you felt the rumble, saw the splash and like the autopia, if you took your foot off the gas, the boat stopped.
    I will also confirm this. The pedals really did work.

I believe that the reason that they took out the boats was it just simply was not cost effective to keep them running.

It would be nice if they could actually utilize that space again. Bumper boats or somehting, actually, I wouldn't really care if it was water based attaration. Just an additional attraction.

I really missed and reminisced on this former ride when I was there a few different times while my daughter was in the 3-5 year old range. Riding that attraction with someone believing the wheels worked make-up some of my fondest Disneyland memories.

In 1991 the Motor Boat Cruise got the Gummie Bear overlay for 10-months before switching back to the original ride (which opened in that location in 1957.) This attraction closed for good in January of 1993. I think I remember that the boats were closed down because of the cost of running them -- as mentioned above -- and the money saved was dumped into Toon Town construction (which opened in 1994.)

• Hooterville, USA

Kids used to hop off the boats and on to the rocks when the boats were in line to exit the passengers.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Evil is Sexy

You can still see some of the prop area of the MBC too on the monorail. It took me a few moments to figure out what the heck a Disney Oceanography building was doing sitting abandoned way back in the middle of nowhere. "Kids would love to go into something like that!" ... "Oh! Oh... it was part of the motorboat ride."
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

• formerly very helpful

It was never one of my favorite attractions, but it was a pleasant enough little ride. At the very least, it was something else to go on, and it was very friendly for the littlest ones.
    I always thought it was lacking in that there really wasn't anything to look at, other than trees and plants (Gummy Bear overlay not withstanding).

• Goofy

i missed that ride.

You can see pictures and read about it on YESTERLAND.com.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast