Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

A disneyland Newby, and how to help them

In August of 2004 I went to Disneyland for the first time with my 3 year old and my 9 year old.( Iam a single mom) we had never been to an amusement park, and were quit over whelmed by how big the park was, and what there was to do. Coming from a small town, the scope of going to a place so big was quit and undertaking on our part.
    I asked may questions on a few disney boards, but found a lot of it confusing. Not that the info was bad, but that the person or persons giving the advice really would not understand how over whelming it all was since we had never been, or that we were from a small town.
    I know more about the park now, but nothing like most of you do, but I do have some words of advice for newbys who come here and ask questions .
    First off,.. find out if they are used to crowds, and dealing with a lot of people. I think this was a major shock to all of us since there were more people in the parks then in my whole city !
    It does shed light on what to expect, and how to deal with the crowds.
    when your not used to so many people and how to get thru crowds you may find your self lost and bewildered.
    Also ... Let them know how hot or cold it will be when they go, I found out the hard way when I booked my trip it was hot! I do not know California climate, I went in blindly and we all had a time dealing with the weather. Now some would say. DUH ! check out the weather before you book, thats just common sence!! well some of us from cold climates just think the weather will be just like our home town , how bad could it be? well we booked our trip in March, and went in August,not only a hot month, but high season to! But in Montana ( my town its not that hot, and we have real low humidity.
    Then.. Let them know there questions are not silly. you may say to your self, I would never do this, but truly I asked some questions when I first started to find info on my planned trip and I was told " chill out, its just a park, or one person said to me " planning your day just ruins the fun. See, for some one who has never been to disneyland fun is not in relaxing like the people who go often, or even once a year. To a newby, the trip can be hectic and down right scary. we do not know the lay out of the park, and no matter how many times I looked at a map, I was confused. So next time you come in contact with a first timer, instead of seeing it as a pain to answer some of there questions, or not wanting to answer the same question a hundred times to a hundred different people, understand that for some like me, Disneyland can be frightning. Sounds weird I know but it was the first time especially when a single parent goes with a child or more then one child.
    I am going for my third time now in April, I knowmore, but still find new things and its so exciting. I still ask lots of questions, andcoming here to mice chat Ihave neverbeen told " chill out, I have never met a more helpful bunch of folks in my life. Thank you all for all you do to make this site informative, and fun.

• Nice Guy

Blog Entries

Re: A disneyland Newby, and how to help them

It is difficult to explain to a newbie things concerning California and Disneyland. So Cal weather for one thing is random. The best thing to do is dress for the heat but bring something warm. It has been known to be 100 degrees on Christmas day.

Also, with everything being relative, everyone sees the park in a different way. What's best or what's bad is always debatable Crowds and maneuvering though should be easier but these are not normal times with th 50th going on.

You observations are excellent ones and we can attempt to provide better service.
    >>Alan<<
    Member 216

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I think people probably give more information to you than needed abot Disneyland because of how passionate they are about the park .

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfHearts
    It is difficult to explain to a newbie things concerning California and Disneyland. So Cal weather for one thing is random. The best thing to do is dress for the heat but bring something warm. It has been known to be 100 degrees on Christmas day.
    Exactly. I did not know this, wow wasI suprise it was so cold at night, and so hot during the day.
    Also, with everything being relative, everyone sees the park in a different way. What's best or what's bad is always debatable Crowds and maneuvering though should be easier but these are not normal times with th 50th going on.

You observations are excellent ones and we can attempt to provide better service.
    You guys are already excellent!! this was what happened to me, but you guys, wow I can ask a question and wham,I get help right away. my threadwas to someof those who feel they are tired of answering the samequestion, or that newbys are not that important. When i came here I never had any questions not answered in a friendly and informative way.

And about crowds, I was amazed there were so many people. I was over whelmed and so was my little boy. he cried the whole timewe were there. It was that we just never experienced it. I now know what to expect, but to those coming from small town america they can be so over whelming to them and there children. It made our trip a living hell the first time LOL!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

The best advice that I can give is that everyone needs to travel at their own pace and try not to make a very detailed schedule of things to do. It would be good to go into the park with a plan of where to meet and what to ride, but other than that you should just improvise and go with the flow.

• Nice Guy

Blog Entries

The best advice to five anyone is to contact Crazy Legs or Disneykat and they can meet them in the park, You can call DK at <removed> and CL at <removed>.
    Last edited by Disneyphile; 01-23-2006 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Removed personal info. DO NOT POST PERSONAL INFORMATION OF OUR MEMBERS!!!!!
    >>Alan<<
    Member 216

• Winter in Oceanside...

I can understand how you were overwhelmed, Karla. I've been going to DLR all my life and have lived in Calif. all my life as well. But my first time at WDW in Florida was very overwhelming. Didn't have a problem with the crowds - used to that, but the shear size of WDW was quite amazing. And that was before the new animal park part of it. Going to such a different climate was tough too.

Whenever you go somewhere new, you want to experience ALL of it, but that is not usually possible. Just go with the flow, do what you can, and have fun. Just give you an excuse to come back!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessY
    I can understand how you were overwhelmed, Karla. I've been going to DLR all my life and have lived in Calif. all my life as well. But my first time at WDW in Florida was very overwhelming. Didn't have a problem with the crowds - used to that, but the shear size of WDW was quite amazing. And that was before the new animal park part of it. Going to such a different climate was tough too.

Whenever you go somewhere new, you want to experience ALL of it, but that is not usually possible. Just go with the flow, do what you can, and have fun. Just give you an excuse to come back!
    Thank you for understanding yep going to somewhere else is way over taxing if you are not used to it. I have been asked to go to WDW several times, I am notsure Iwill ever beready for that park lOL! and i hear the humidity is way bad some times. I think i will stick to disneyland in April andjust enjoy the mild temps and slower pace ( if you can call disneyland slower pace LOL!

• Banned User

The best advice to five anyone is to contact Crazy Legs or Disneykat and they can meet them in the park, You can call DK at <removed> and CL at <removed>.
    wow that is awsome! that would help so many newbys out!! Those two are very special gals!! I hope to see them on a meet in April!!
    Last edited by Disneyphile; 01-23-2006 at 02:50 PM.

• Tom Chaney R.I. P.

It has been known to be 100 degrees on Christmas day.
    The weather channel reports the high in Anaheim for 12-25 of 82 in 1989, with the high for Dec of 87 on Dec 17 1989, http://www.weather.com

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by tahoebob54
    The weather channel reports the high in Anaheim for 12-25 of 82 in 1989, with the high for Dec of 87 on Dec 17 1989, http://www.weather.com
    wow strange weather ! thanks, I never knew you could go back and see weather. I am off to look now thanks tahoe!

• Nice Guy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hakuna makarla
    wow strange weather ! thanks, I never knew you could go back and see weather. I am off to look now thanks tahoe!
    There is nothing like seeing the younguns on their sleds on an 82 degree day. They don't go so fast but you should see the sparks fly. I hate sweating while opening Christmas presents.
    >>Alan<<
    Member 216

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

The best advice I can give anyone going to Disneyland or WDW is to read as much as you can about the parks. There are guide books. There are websites. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Everyone was new at one
    time or another. A little knowledge about the lay of the land is priceless.

People traveling with children, should try to stay as close to the themepark as possible. If you are driving, take a break in the middle of the day and let the kids rest. It makes a big difference. If you are not driving, by staying in a close hotel, you can leave the park midday more easily

It is hard to travel alone with children. I myself, will not do it. If you can, try to convince another adult to travel with you. You can share hotel costs. It helps to have what I call a backup adult for emergencies. I won't even travel alone with my grandson and he is almost 13.

I also like to plan some special events into each vacation. By that I mean, perhaps a character meal. At Disney World, for older children miniature golf or fishing. By getting off your feet at a character meal, the kids are entertained and fed and it breaks up the day into more manageable chunks.

Best of all you know your children. By reading what is at Disneyland or Disney World, you know what they would enjoy. Do those things first. Don't worry about doing everything. No one does everything. If you think the characters will scare them, don't force them. My grandson at age 4 was afraid of characters, until I told him that those characters were just people dressed up and acting like the character. Made it easier for him.

Don't promise too much to children beforehand. Don't elaborate too much either. Some children disappoint too easy and if you promise them Mickey and he doesn't show up, it can be very upsetting. Best to not say and then if he is there, your child will decide how close or chummy he or she wants to get.

Hope some of this helps.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

• Nice Guy

Blog Entries

For anyone cncerned I posted personal information, I made those numbers up. If anyone wants to complain to me directly, call me at 619 853 1212.
    >>Alan<<
    Member 216

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast