Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

HELP with food budget

Hi! We scheduled a spur of the moment trip to DLR. Therefore, we have $37.50 per day in the parks we can spend on lunch, dinner & snacks for 2 adults. We have the 10% AP discount, which will help a little. Does anyone know the tax rate for food there?

Do you have any tips on how you'd handle things?

We each have a soda to bring into the parks as well as a water bottle as we'll be drinking primarily water. We need to conserve our calories as well as our $ anyway.

I was thinking PB&J would travel well in my backpack. We can plan to share all our meals as they're usually rather large anyway.

Thanks for your tips on saving $ on food at DLR.

• #bringevilback

Re: HELP with food budget

Basically you can plan on counter services being $8-12 per person and sit down to be $15-20, snacks about $4-6. If you are sharing meals that should fit into your budget, but I would bring snacks or sandwiches for lunch and splurge a little on dinner, or at least to fill in if splitting meals leaves you a little hungry

• #bringevilback

Disneyland Resort Menus will give you exact menus and prices if you want to plan specifically where and what you'll eat

Thanks for the hints! I have used allears.net in the past & am going through their menus.

I found somewhere online that estimates 8% sales tax so I'm going with that for my budgeting.

• #bringevilback

Yes, 8% is the sales tax for Orange County

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

What's "budgeting"?

Here's a sample food budget 4 days in the parks 2 adults sharing:

$10.68
    French Market Caesar Salad
    $15.59
    Rancho del Zocalo Soft Tacos & Cake
    $9.22
    Redd’s Rocket pasta
    $13.10
    Award Wiener’s 2 dogs
    $11.44
    Bengal BBQ Beef Skewer, Veggie Skewer, Pretzel
    $9.22
    Tomorrowland Terrace Burger
    $9.03
    Harbour Galley Chile
    $8.74
    Boardwalk Pizza or Village Haus 1 flatbread
    $7.97
    Tiki Bar 2 Dole Whip
    $10.78
    Gibson Girl 1 Sundae; 1 scoop
    $7.56
    DCA Bayside Brews Beer
    $3.77
    Bayside Brews Cream Cheese Pretzel
    $7.97
    Tiki Bar 2 Dole Whip
    $10.78
    Gibson Girl 1 Sundae; 1 scoop
    $10.19
    Fiddler, Fifer, Practical (Starbucks) 1 soup, 1 grande Frap
    $4.31
    Mint Julep Bar 3 Beignets
    $150.34

• Seeker of Fun

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    What's "budgeting"?
    I think this is what starts out as trying to save money and plan for all expenses...then you get to Disneyland and somehow, someway, your magically removed from your $$$. For me, it's the wife and kids looking at me with those big blue eyes that does it every time.
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 4Apples4Disney View Post
    I think this is what starts out as trying to save money and plan for all expenses...then you get to Disneyland and somehow, someway, your magically removed from your $$$. For me, it's the wife and kids looking at me with those big blue eyes that does it every time.
    I thought I was bad by smuggling in a few cookies, candy and a bottle of water just to avoid buying snacks at $4-$8 a pop.

• #bringevilback

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    I thought I was bad by smuggling in a few cookies, candy and a bottle of water just to avoid buying snacks at $4-$8 a pop.
    No need to smuggle, outside food is allowed.

If you are driving, I would highly suggest going to the Target on Harbor and at the very least loading up on some trail mixes and breakfast food. If your hotel room has a refrigerator it will certainly hold a half gallon container of milk. Cereal, well, sits on a counter. Breakfast/granola bars. PB&Js are a great idea. We've done that also.

Also check out Earl of Sandwich in Downtown Disney. Tortilla Joe's has a HUGE Nacho plate (certainly enough for two people) that you can have with steak or chicken. I believe it's around $12.00.

Good Luck and have a great trip!

• Familymemories

We always take a lunch with water bottles and snacks. Saves our family a ton of money. sharing a meal is great too. Plaza Inn and French Market have good prices and big servings.
    Vintage Jewelry Converted Into Wearable Pieces Visit My Etsy Shop3 Kid Crop Shop

Thanks for the ideas & well wishes! We're flying but staying near target!

Already got breakfast taken care of.

• Disney Fan 4 Life

In the past we have brought in crackers, cookies, trail bars, fruit bars, nuts, whole fruit, fruit leather, individual peanut butter cups, cut carrots and celery, and chex mix among other things. We usually take in water bottles and refill them all day (in fact our daughter has a little fanny pack that holds her water bottle so she has water available to her at any time). We try to eat breakfast in the hotel either brought by us or offered by the hotel. On days we don't want to leave the park, we snack through the day with what we have brought and then eat an , fairly large meal say around 4 to 5 pm. We do usually buy our daughter a kids meal lunch, cause she does better with a meal, while we can do fine with snacks. It depends on what your planning. Some days we would snack and then leave around 1pm to the hotel to rest and grab an outside meal and than back to the park at 4 or 5 until we were done for the evening. We have managed to spend less than 50 a day for two adults and one child, while spending the day at the park and that includes our snacks.

Choosing meals that give the most bang for your buck help as well.

We like eating at Plaza Inn for their amazing fried chicken dinner. Each meal runs about $13 and a little change with tax and your pass. We usually opted for two which more than adequately fed three of us a large meal that sustained us for the remainder of the evening. Each meals comes with half a chicken, mashed taters, biscuit, and green beans. If you are light eaters, you could split one meal and tack on a soda if you drink soda. The Plaza is one of the few places with unlimited refills on your soda drink, even providing a to go cup for it. (Pizza port is another spot that offers unlimited refills).

For a very filling snack, split a potato at the Harbor Galley at a bit over $6 bucks. Admittedly, we have not had the baked potato since they moved to the Galley, but when they were at troubadour treats, they were terrific! Large and very filling!

You cannot go wrong with the little red cart on Main Street for the nice size corn dog that comes with chips or apple slices at a little over $6 bucks with your pass (yep it will take your AP for the discount!). It can be very filling! (similar meal can be found in DCA at the Corn Dog Castle).

At Rancho Del Zocolo, AP discounts apply, their meals tend to be generous. I like getting the Tostada Salad, with half chicken and half beef. They make it in front of you and it is very good at a bit over $10. They also do a Chicken dinner with Fire Grilled half chicken with rice and beans that is a splittable meal for two and hitting into about $13 and some change. (this happens to be a GREAT spot for filling up a water bottle as well). We have eaten at Cocina in DCA and prefer Rancho.

Oh and don't forget you can ask for free water cups (nothing like cold ice water) at most places within the parks, which are great to refill a water bottle with cold water! This is just to add to what others have posted.

If you avoid served meals in the parks, you will get away with a decent meal plus tax but without having to tip waitstaff, which helps keep meal costs down a bit. If you put a little planning in, you can walk away with a decent meal at the resort for a decent price (well resort price) HTH!
    Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy.

“To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.” - Walt Disney, Disneyland Opening Day Speech 1955

View my new Budget Disney Blog here: http://budgetdisneylandresort.blogspot.com/

Probably wont be eating in DTD because I got 5% off Disneyland gift cards at target only good in park.

Hard to share some things with a vegetarian in the house.

Apicsme, thanks for the great ideas! $50 for 3, you've got it down well!

Definitely having breakfast at hotel.
    Last edited by smartlabelprint; 05-15-2013 at 06:59 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast