Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Does DCA need more dark rides?

First of all, DisneyGeekBrazil, your English is excellent. There is no need for you to apologize. It is obvious that you have worked very hard to achieve the proficiency which you display.

I'm of the school that there is no such thing as too many dark rides if they are executed properly. DCA needs more, as a dark ride can be enjoyed by the entire family. There are many who do not enjoy thrill rides, thus DCA lops off a good number of their attractions to a certain type of guest. The amount of family attractions is limited in DCA.

I am not impressed with the Little Mermaid attraction and consider it a hair better than the dreaded and departed Superstar Limo. Monsters Inc. is a much better attraction but suffers from a wretched facade and obscure location. We know that Disney can still produce a stellar dark ride. Roger Rabbit is top quality although the loading area is poorly designed.

What would help DCA is a dark ride in the Paradise Pier area, and one of some duration similar to the length of Small World. A Disney take on the classic Fun House would fit theme very well. It could not be a walk through because of crowd control & liability. The proposed gimbaled Omnimover would be a great selection here. There are a good number of redundant stores in the area. Every time that I was back in that area, the storefronts were empty. The footprint of the attraction could be lessened by going to a two story attraction which is fairly common in the midway version of the classic fun house. Again, the gimbaled Omnimover would make this possible.

To be completely honest, I am not a big fan of DCA. I still miss the parking lot.
    Skiddley Whiffers is a cruel mistress; cold and unforgiving.

• ...and the Flowers Croon

Is TSMM not considered a dark ride? Because I think they did a good job on that one.

Disney doesn't really do imaginative, intimate, zippy dark rides anymore. They either do budget busting, corporate mega-projects (the $100 million Little Mermaid ride, RSR), or they do cheap spinners (the rest of Cars Land's stuff).

Why they can't put down a light $25 million and do a classic Fantasyland dark ride -- a simple bus bar, a small 20,000 sq ft footprint, some sculptures, a handful of animatronics and loads of black light scenery -- to get something like Alice in Wonderland or Mr. Toad...I'll never know.

The last one was Roger Rabbit? Monsters Inc? Those are fine rides to me. I'd rather they build three of those than one e-ticket.
    Last edited by choco choco; 05-15-2013 at 09:41 PM.

• No Disassemble!

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    Just be glad you weren't there in 2001. The only dark ride at DCA when it first opened went down in history as the worst dark ride ever created by Disney and closed in less than a year.
    I'm still in therapy because of Superstar Lame-o.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Well....I'd love to see Dark ride that WOW use like Pirates...HM or the new Myst Manor

No more Cheap Dark rides like Pooh or Monster....while i enjoy them for walk on rides...I just want more then a cheap retelling of a story we can watch on DVD

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    Well....I'd love to see Dark ride that WOW use like Pirates...HM or the new Myst Manor

No more Cheap Dark rides like Pooh or Monster....while i enjoy them for walk on rides...I just want more then a cheap retelling of a story we can watch on DVD
    I hope whatever Disney has up their sleeves for Disneyland or DCA's future ... they don't entail "retelling of a story" dark rides, like Little Mermaid. RSR is a new story. The original Fantasyland dark rides .. entail YOU as being the main character. Haunted Mansion and PotC (pre Jack Sparrow) giving rich "backstory" .. and giving your imagination the chance to create it's own ..... Those are the types of "story telling" attractions that are more interesting.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    It amazes me that hen they built DCA they never made a dark ride about the history of CA especially something that centered around the gold rush or the building of the railroad or many other things I am not even mentioning. I think a dark ride style fun house in the pier would be awesome as well. So yes I do believe they could use more.
    Great ideas! There really should be more CALIFORNIA at Disney California Adventure. Our state has a rich history and so much natural beauty, cultural diversity, and general charm.

I miss the entry area of DCA with the murals on the side. There should be more aspects of the state of CA represented too. There is far too much focus on southern California stuff.

Guys, thank you so much for all your comments.

Sorry about TSMM and RSR, totally forgot about them.

So, let's compare...

What can fit somewhat in the "dark ride" concept.

Disneyland:

1-Astro Blasters
    2-Star Tours(can we consider it a dark ride?)
    3-Space Mountain(also a dark ride? It is in darkness)
    4-Alice(love that and is exclusive to DL)
    5-Small World
    6-Mr Toad(Love that, and is exclusive to DL too)
    7-Peter Pan
    8-Pinocchio
    9-Snow White
    10-Indiana Jones
    11-Tiki Room
    12-Pooh
    13-Splash Mountain
    14-Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin(Great attraction!!)

So, I counted 14 dark rides. Please, correct me, if I missed one or I listed one that is not considered dark ride. This number(also the quality of the dark rides, that are all very good) is one of the reasons that make Disneyland the best theme park in the world, IMHO.

What I most love about Magic Kingdom style parks is that they are good both for children and grown up people.

Now, lets count DCA dar rides:

1-Monsters Inc
    2-TSMM
    3-RSR
    4-Little Mermaid

I consider this number kinda "low" and would like to see DCA with, at least, 8-10 dark rides.

• Senior Minion

I wouldn't count Star Tours, Space Mountain or Tiki Room as dark rides, but I would count Pirates and HM. (If you did count Star Tours you'd have to include Soarin' in DCA's list.) Yes, DCA still needs more dark rides, but I'm not confident they'll ever get to ten, maybe eight eventually.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

DCA needs more disney characters and more gold rush. A few more quality disney dark rides and a big e ticket mine dark ride would be perfect.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• Closed Account

DCA used to have more California in it, and they have been slowly removing California elements because it was a total failure. The California lettering that was once in the entrance plaza, the Golden Gate Bridge. The ceramic murals had Yosemite, elements from Catalina Island, Los Angeles, California Missions, Pebble Beach Golf Course, San Francisco, Big Sur, and I am sure that I am forgetting others. The giant sun was also removed. Let's not forget the California Zephyr, Hollywood and Dine, Greetings from California gift shop, Superstar Limo, the sun wheel, the Maliboomer meant to look like a boardwalk ride, and all of the "quirky takes" on California places like Reboundo Beach, Bakersfield Bakery, and Burr Bank Ice Cream.

The fact of the matter is, when DCA opened they wanted it to be California themed. DCA was a flop when it opened. They realized that people in California don't want to visit California and that they don't go to a Disney park to see California. That is why everything Disney has done lately with DCA does not have anything to do with California theming.

•   
    • Minion

I would like to see more QUALITY dark rides at DCA. RSR is amazing and I actually love the Monsters Inc. ride but Little Mermaid is so slapdash.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

I'd like to see a few more Dark Rides, too. I actually like "The Little Mermaid" one, even if it is just a re-telling of the film, because the animatronics look so cool and the music is a classic. I'm not sure what else they could add, though- the really famous Disneyland Dark Rides are often unrelated to major pictures (like Pirates or the Haunted Mansion... well, they WERE unrelated to movies).

Some Marvel-esque stuff would be cool, but of course it would end up mimicking some of Universal Florida's stuff and probably be a 3-D ride like Transformers or Spider-Man.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by Pinrar View Post
    DCA needs more disney characters and more gold rush. A few more quality disney dark rides and a big e ticket mine dark ride would be perfect.
    I agree with more Disney characters. There's already enough Pixar in DCA however. And before anyone argues that Pixar is Disney, I am aware of that. But there should be more diverse representation of all the Disney franchises, not just have one franchise (Pixar) be the representing majority in the park.

I do think TLM dark ride is underrated. At least it is using modern animatronic technology. The last Disney-film based dark rides (Pooh and Monster's Inc) were taking 10 steps backwards. We finally have a dark ride that actually does look like it was made in 2011/2012.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• formerly very helpful

Lots of good points! IMHO, it isn't that the rides are simply retellings of the flicks, but the execution. Every dark ride in Fantasyland is a retelling of the movie (except perhaps Mr. Toad). I think they need to put more than some static, out of date audio animatronics.

and for what it's worth, I don't think of Midway Mania as a dark ride, since it's all on television screens.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast