Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Does DCA need more dark rides?

*** FIRST OF ALL, I AM SO SORRY FOR MY POOR ENGLISH. I AM FROM BRAZIL, SO ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE SPEAKING LANGUAGE.***

Hi everyone...

Well, as some of you know, I have not been to DLR yet. I am planning my first visit for 2014-2015(maybe 60th), but, I really like DLR, even I have already not been there yet. I have already been to WDW.

I have to say that I am a dark rides fan. One of the things that I most like at Disneyland Park is the number of dark rides. Also, dark rides are always popular, nice and very "Disney", considering that we do not see so much dark rides at another theme parks(Universal, Seaworld,...).

In my daily basis reading about Disney, I noticed that DCA only has 2 dark rides(Monsters Inc and Little Mermaid) and Disneyland has more than 10(Alice, Mr. Toad, Pinocchio, Peter Pan, Pooh, Snow White, Small World, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain and list goes on). Disneyland has become, for me, best theme park in the world(even better than DisneySea and Magic Kingdom). One the reasons that made me love DL is the number of attractions(the best attraction lineup I have ever seen) and the number of dark rides. DL has all 7 fantasyland dark rides(MK has 3, Tokyo DL has 5, DLP has 4, HKDL has 2) and all the other dark rides.

Considering that dark rides are great and DCA still needs to be fixed in some areas, do you think that more dark rides would make DCA a better park?

Hugs from Brazil!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Does DCA need more dark rides?

Yes, of course. That and Disney characters were the top two things missing from DCA 1.0

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Yes, of course. That and Disney characters were the top two things missing from DCA 1.0

Absolutely right. More classic Disney characters and a bunch of old school FL-style dark rides would do that park a world of good for not a huge amount of money.

To be honest, I would prefer 2 or 3 more C or D-ticket dark rides than California Screamin.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Just be glad you weren't there in 2001. The only dark ride at DCA when it first opened went down in history as the worst dark ride ever created by Disney and closed in less than a year.

And like you I'm a fan of Disney dark rides and DCA could definitly use more of them.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• What imagination needs...

I agree with everything said so far. I think that Paradise Pier could use 1-2 more dark rides: one in the smoking section helix of California Screamin' and one possibly replacing Goofy's Sky School, Seaside Souvenirs, and Corn Dog Castle (Considering how long Mystic Manor's show building is... ). I think Buena Vista Street could get a walkthrough attraction, something that will become it's "Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln" in a sense. In Hollywood Land... ... Last but not least, I think it would be nice for them to add a dark ride to "a bug's land" to make it seem less like an afterthought.

Don't know if people here agree with me... But, I think that Bug's Land should go. I does not fit the theming of DCA. Also, do not forget the old Maliboomer space, it is empty now.

They could make Goofy's Sky school an indoor coaster, with great effects.

• Blew By You

Agree. Two dark rides would be good. I would not mind if one or both were based on a movie. But one idea I'd like would have a Museum of the Weird dark ride. Maybe because I saw the Youtube video of Mystic Manor recently.

If Disney use Simba Parking Lot for DCA's next expansion and new hotel, they should put more dark rides in the park.

I think that 8-10 dark rides would be a good number for DCA.

• Future Imagineer

I'm all for more dark rides

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeekBrazil View Post
    *** FIRST OF ALL, I AM SO SORRY FOR MY POOR ENGLISH. I AM FROM BRAZIL, SO ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE SPEAKING LANGUAGE.***

Hi everyone...

Well, as some of you know, I have not been to DLR yet. I am planning my first visit for 2014-2015(maybe 60th), but, I really like DLR, even I have already not been there yet. I have already been to WDW.

I have to say that I am a dark rides fan. One of the things that I most like at Disneyland Park is the number of dark rides. Also, dark rides are always popular, nice and very "Disney", considering that we do not see so much dark rides at another theme parks(Universal, Seaworld,...).

In my daily basis reading about Disney, I noticed that DCA only has 2 dark rides(Monsters Inc and Little Mermaid) and Disneyland has more than 10(Alice, Mr. Toad, Pinocchio, Peter Pan, Pooh, Snow White, Small World, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain and list goes on). Disneyland has become, for me, best theme park in the world(even better than DisneySea and Magic Kingdom). One the reasons that made me love DL is the number of attractions(the best attraction lineup I have ever seen) and the number of dark rides. DL has all 7 fantasyland dark rides(MK has 3, Tokyo DL has 5, DLP has 4, HKDL has 2) and all the other dark rides.

Considering that dark rides are great and DCA still needs to be fixed in some areas, do you think that more dark rides would make DCA a better park?

Hugs from Brazil!
    You forgot Midway mania and RSR

I think they should consider replacing heimlich in bugs land. Replace the vehicles to be smaller and build a two story dark ride. Themed to same characters. The area might not be people's favorite but it is a nice little gem. They could try and use dots puddle park area or the one piece of land right behind crazy cone motel for a building expansion.

and yes DCA needs more dark rides but some that do not resell a movies story scene by scene. I think that is the problem with some dark rides

• world class bilge rat

I usually visit DL once a year, I spend two or 3 days in the parks.

I usually spend 1 - 2 hours each day in DCA, mainly because that's about how long it takes me to ride the dark rides. I don't like thrill rides, and if there were more dark rides in DCA, I'd spend more time there, and quite possibly spend 3 - 4 days instead of 2 - 3.

•   
    • Minion

It amazes me that hen they built DCA they never made a dark ride about the history of CA especially something that centered around the gold rush or the building of the railroad or many other things I am not even mentioning. I think a dark ride style fun house in the pier would be awesome as well. So yes I do believe they could use more.

• Minion

I'm all for more dark rides, but what I'm REALLY interested in is a land, or an attraction based on the history of California. So much potential there, yet they won't tap into it.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeekBrazil View Post

ABSOLUTELY! I think, in the future, we will see more in the way of "dark ride" experiences to further enhance DCA. There is some minor chatter ..about one that would go behind "Screamin' " .. .in the western helix section ... where we would enter from there, while the bulk of the ride is hidden from view .. behind Screamin.

Other chatter ... that Goofy's Sky School "mad mouse" coaster ... is just a temporary fix ... while possibly, something cool could go in that spot, someday.

Then there's Hollywoodland. The north half where Muppet Vision, and Monsters Inc. currently reside. There's room back there for another 2 attractions. Dark Ride types? Who knows. But we can hope.

Then there's a pocket of land to the east of Carsland .. that could be developed some day. For "dark ride" experiences? Again .. we can dream.

So .. there are pockets of land all throughout DCA where new things can go.

And for some of us - like me, I use the term "dark ride" loosely. PotC, Haunted Mansion, Radiator Springs Racers .. to me .. fall in the way of "dark ride" experiences ... because all of those rides entail massive showbuildings, where the ride is indoors .. under controlled lighting ... much like the "dark ride" experiences .. aka .... Peter Pan, Alice, Roger Rabbit, Buzz Lightyear, Pooh, etc.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast