Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: Does anyone like Universal and Disney?

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I'm not just a "Disney" fan, I'm a fan of Theme/Amusement parks period. I've visited almost 40 different parks and ridden almost 230 coasters and most of those parks I enjoyed visiting. Only a few I didn't care for.
    Wow. Just wow. You are one person I envy at this moment, to experience what you have in your lifetime. Its not something many can experience or enjoy. And this is coming from a person who's not a BIG coaster fan, but still likes them. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Especially if you're from So Cal it really is rare to find someone who likes just Disneyland. Most all of the locals like the parks pretty much equally IMO.
    I am from Southern California, now living in central Florida. I was born & raised in So Cali and only lived there until I moved here in 2011. In my 36 years in California, I went to Universal Hollywood.....ONCE. Mainly because of the drive. I lived in LA County with my parents till I was in my early teens until we moved to Orange County, so even further away from Universal. And my first and only trip to Universal wasn't until after we moved to OC. We went there just as the Back to the Future Ride was still in construction. Backdraft & ET The Ride were still there. The Shrek show was not even a concept back then. But growing up, I was always a fan of Disney, I was raised on it. As a child, my parents took me to Disneyland once a year for my birthday in November. I went with large groups of people from my church to Disneyland (and most people know that group trips are always more fun) when I was a child growing up and we went there frequently while it was still very cheap to go. So many fond memories of just the old parking lot still exist to me, long before the days of a "Pixar themed, not California, Amusement Park." That same group went to Six Flags Magic Mountain once, so I was there once as a child. My parents took me to Knott's once as a small child, long before the days of Camp Snoopy, Kingdom of the Dinosaurs, and days of extreme roller coasters. And I didn't start going to Knott's on a regular annual pass basis until we moved to Buena Park. And then for a time I worked there before working at Disneyland in later years. But we didn't go to Magic Mountain for the same reason that we didn't go to Universal, the long drive. I have far distant memories of Six Flags before they went extreme. But those were days of when I was a child and not a fan of coasters. So it was Disneyland for me, because of attractions like America Sings and Country Bear Jamboree, and the Fantasyland dark rides. I have fond memories of Knott's as a teen. But it will always and forever be Disney. Despite constantly rising prices, it will always be Disney. Born and raised on Disneyland, and making two trips to Disney World as a teen. And now living an hour away from the #1 vacation spot and having a family of my own. But Disneyland will always be my first home.

And on a side note, since living here in Florida, I have been to the Universal Parks once. Only because of money. We went shortly after we moved here and that was because of Harry Potter. That themed area didn't impress me all that much, and this is coming from a HUGE Potter fan. But both parks did not impress me at all. Primarily because I am a true Disney fan at heart. I do want to go back to see Potter, but its not of high priority to me right now because I was not all impressed. I am going to semi-contradict myself here, but it looks amazing and then it doesn't. You see it for the first time and it's like Jeff Goldblume's line from the 2nd Jurassic Park. "Yeah, yeah that's how it starts. It's all 'Oooh and Ahhh', then the screaming starts." When I first saw it, I was all oooh and ahhh at the entrance, because it was like being inside the books. And I got to explore some of it, but not thoroughly because of the crowds. It hadn't been a year yet since opening. But from what I saw of it as I walked around, it looked cramped. It looked small. Most of all, it looked rushed. Like they did not take the time to heavily consider space and crowds. You actually have to wait in line to go in a few of the stores because they reach small capacity way too easily. Sure, stores in Disney parks get crowded on busy days. But at least you can walk in them without having to wait in a line!!! You can't do that in Harry Potter. And it's ridiculous and I hope they consider that when making it for Universal Hollywood. Like with Disney and Magic Kingdom, they have a second chance. To learn from previous mistakes and that is a big one & a "small one" at the same time.
    Last edited by stitchfanocala; 05-19-2013 at 12:52 PM.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I'm just a theme/amusement park enthusiast in general. I like them all... Disney, Universal, Knott's, Busch Gardens, Sea World...

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Just so you know in my post I wasn't referring specifically to USH. I was referring to all of the other parks in general. And it's more than just the parks. As an example many locals also like going to the beach or the mountains -- you have your beach goers, surfers and skiers -- who enjoy doing these activities just as much as going to Disneyland if not more so. There are other activities which exist that many people like to do in the area rather than just going to Disneyland all the time.

• Minion

Just so you know in my post I wasn't referring specifically to USH. I was referring to all of the other parks in general. And it's more than just the parks. As an example many locals also like going to the beach or the mountains -- you have your beach goers, surfers and skiers -- who enjoy doing these activities just as much as going to Disneyland if not more so. There are other activities which exist that many people like to do in the area rather than just going to Disneyland all the time.
    Yep. There are way too many other things to do in the state of California, including theme parks, to just go with one thing all the time. I agree when you said it's rare to find a Californian who doesn't like variety.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    Yep. There are way too many other things to do in the state of California, including theme parks, to just go with one thing all the time. I agree when you said it's rare to find a Californian who doesn't like variety.
    That's why I always called Southern California a potpourri of accessibility. The beaches within 30 minutes, the mountains and desert within an hour. Las Vegas about 4 hours away. Four theme parks, three major zoos, and shopping malls in almost every city. Two basketball teams, two hockey teams, and two baseball teams (3 if you count San Diego). A mixing pot of convenience all packed together in a tight metropolitan area.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

​Yep. I love love love living here.

Quote Originally Posted by stitchfanocala View Post
    That's why I always called Southern California a potpourri of accessibility. The beaches within 30 minutes, the mountains and desert within an hour. Las Vegas about 4 hours away. Four theme parks, three major zoos, and shopping malls in almost every city. Two basketball teams, two hockey teams, and two baseball teams (3 if you count San Diego). A mixing pot of convenience all packed together in a tight metropolitan area.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Minion

We understand, but that's not what Disneyispresume was specifically referring to. They were referring specifically to theme parks, stating most Californians like going to all the theme parks here in the state. Probably because they're so spread out, unlike Florida where the main theme parks are in one city.

I love both as well. I used to work at Universal Orlando and love those parks. Universal Hollywood is much smaller but still fun. I don't think you can spend days there like you could in Orlando. I was raised on Disney though and they have attractions from some of my favorite movies (Star Wars and Indiana Jones).

• Sock Puppet

I know it's "cool" to say that you enjoy all parks but to be honest, none of them come close to Disney in my opinion. I'm open to trying anything at least once, and I have. And STILL love Disneyland Resort the best. I'm sorry but I don't "owe" Knotts or Universal anything, that includes my hard earned money, I go to get the best bang for my buck and that's still Disney.

Though Epcot is my all-time favorite theme park, I also enjoy others such as Universal and Six Flags. In fact, two days ago, I went to Six Flags for the first time and I really enjoyed it! They're all really great theme parks! Two years ago I went to the Universal CityWalk and I actually prefer it over Downtown Disney.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by NineteenTwenty8 View Post
    I know it's "cool" to say that you enjoy all parks but to be honest, none of them come close to Disney in my opinion. I'm open to trying anything at least once, and I have. And STILL love Disneyland Resort the best. I'm sorry but I don't "owe" Knotts or Universal anything, that includes my hard earned money, I go to get the best bang for my buck and that's still Disney.
    One less person there when Potter debuts!

• Shablagoo!

Yes

• Beach Expert

Quote Originally Posted by NineteenTwenty8 View Post
    With ticket prices the way they are, it can be very easily argued that Knotts in fact offers a much bigger bang for the buck than Disneyland.

With ticket prices the way they are, it can be very easily argued that Knotts in fact offers a much bigger bang for the buck than Disneyland.
    Not so easily. At least when I lived there. Knotts didn't regularly show pyros. So Disney still had more bang for the buck.

• Beach Expert

Not so easily. At least when I lived there. Knotts didn't regularly show pyros. So Disney still had more bang for the buck.
    Knotts never was known for its pyro. If its pyro that makes the difference you can always go to Angels home games on Friday nights. For as little as 20 bucks you can enjoy quite an impressive show after the game. On top of that, thanks to the location of where they are launched, these never get cancelled due to "winds at higher elevations".

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast