Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 79
  1. #61

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ocala, FL
    Posts
    867

    Re: Does anyone like Universal and Disney?

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Knotts never was known for its pyro. If its pyro that makes the difference you can always go to Angels home games on Friday nights. For as little as 20 bucks you can enjoy quite an impressive show after the game. On top of that, thanks to the location of where they are launched, these never get cancelled due to "winds at higher elevations".
    Please understand two things. I was playing on your wording "bang for the buck." And I know all about the Angel games with their Friday Night Family night. However, I no longer live in Southern California. I'm in central Florida. So its a bit difficult to go down to the stadium to catch the Halos. They're still my favorite team along with the Dodgers though.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

  2. #62

    • Sock Puppet
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    201

    Re: Does anyone like Universal and Disney?

    Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    One less person there when Potter debuts!
    Im not a fan of the Potter films, but like I said I do have an open mind and will try Potterland when it opens at USH. But I'll be just as critical and picky about it as I would a Disney park. Alot of people let Universal slide on their flaws but nitpick Disney to death, I won't do that. If Uni wants to play with the big boys then it gets judged like the big boys.
    Last edited by NineteenTwenty8; 05-27-2013 at 11:55 AM.

  3. #63

    • враг народа
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    14,060
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Does anyone like Universal and Disney?

    Quote Originally Posted by NineteenTwenty8 View Post
    Im not a fan of the Potter films, but like I said I do have an open mind and will try Potterland when it opens at USH. But I'll be just a critical and picky about it as I would a Disney park. Alot of people let Universal slide on their flaws but nitpick Disney to death, I won't do that. If Uni wants to play with the big boys then it gets judged like the big boys.

  4. #64

    • Sock Puppet
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    201

    Re: Does anyone like Universal and Disney?

    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    So Im assuming the eye roll means that you feel Uni should get a pass on its flaws and Disney should be nitpicked and combed over with a fine toothed comb? I see nothing wrong with holding Uni accountable for its flaws as we would hold Disney accountable.

    Universal fans hate that, they want Uni to be looked at as an equal or better than Disney but don't want Uni to face the scrutiny that Disney faces. Can't have it both ways, can't say "Uni is on par or better than Disney" , then when Uni's flaws are pointed out say "oh well Uni is the underdog so give them a break". Can't have it both ways.
    Last edited by NineteenTwenty8; 05-27-2013 at 12:05 PM.

  5. #65

    • Big Hockey Fan
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    201

    Re: Does anyone like Universal and Disney?

    For Universal Studios, although ive never visited I just cant seem to garner the drive to visit. Im quite sure its an amazing park with its new Transformers ride, but just knowing there are basically only a handful of rides, that sets me off.

    Six Flags, I think is coming around. I see them making minor adjustments to overall better your experience there such as even painting the fences. Yes, although it may be a teenager park with little to no theme, it is next best thing to Disneyland for a teenager.

    Knotts, I have frequented this park numerous times. I have many good things to say, but just knowing that it cant really expand, that sets me off a bit. I believe that the Ghost Town section of the park is better themed than Frontierland, and this is coming from a big Disney fan. I enjoy the boardwalk section of the park, just for the ambiance. I think the food is overpriced, but it really is a charming park and I dont mind going there for even half a day.

    Disneyland, there is really nothing wrong with it other than Tomorrowland and Frontierland. The reason I regard this Park as really the greatest ever is all its rich history and storytelling and attention to detail. Theres a fine line between a ride and an attraction and I think thats what Disneyland is best at doing.

    Legoland, I went like two years after it opened so I would have been 5 or 6, I felt it was small, but considering I went when it first opened, my opinion should change after visiting soon.

  6. #66

    • Beach Expert
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after
    Posts
    10,637

    Re: Does anyone like Universal and Disney?

    Quote Originally Posted by stitchfanocala View Post
    Please understand two things. I was playing on your wording "bang for the buck." And I know all about the Angel games with their Friday Night Family night. However, I no longer live in Southern California. I'm in central Florida. So its a bit difficult to go down to the stadium to catch the Halos. They're still my favorite team along with the Dodgers though.
    Its all good. Also please understand that as a Native born Californian I am naturally air-headed. Add to that I'm 3 hours behind you and it all adds up to trouble!

    And Go Angels!!!

  7. #67

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ocala, FL
    Posts
    867

    Re: Does anyone like Universal and Disney?

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Its all good. Also please understand that as a Native born Californian I am naturally air-headed. Add to that I'm 3 hours behind you and it all adds up to trouble!

    And Go Angels!!!
    LOL! Speaking of the Angels & Dodgers, I think they're having their freeway series this weekend.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

  8. #68

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    161

    Re: Does anyone like Universal and Disney?

    Quote Originally Posted by NineteenTwenty8 View Post
    So Im assuming the eye roll means that you feel Uni should get a pass on its flaws and Disney should be nitpicked and combed over with a fine toothed comb? I see nothing wrong with holding Uni accountable for its flaws as we would hold Disney accountable.

    Universal fans hate that, they want Uni to be looked at as an equal or better than Disney but don't want Uni to face the scrutiny that Disney faces. Can't have it both ways, can't say "Uni is on par or better than Disney" , then when Uni's flaws are pointed out say "oh well Uni is the underdog so give them a break". Can't have it both ways.
    I'm a Universal fan and never have I thought their parks were equal/better to Disney parks. Maybe local Universal fans who attend the parks in Florida may think so, but I don't think I know of anyone here in California who feels that way. And even when WWOHP comes to USH, I still won't feel that its equal. They may be equal but on entire different levels meaning they both just set the bar higher than other theme/amusement parks. Universal, to me, is an amusement park while Disneyland is the theme park. I also think the same of DCA because when I go to DCA I feel the same way I do when I'm at USH.

    As for scrutinizing parks, I honestly don't know why its done so much by some. Some people have let themselves get spoilt or something, I feel. Things are not perfect but it doesn't mean we shouldn't appreciate what is there and focus on the bad things instead. The parks today are not terrible and they may have been better/worse in the past in the eyes of some but things change.

    Universal parks give a different experience than that "magical" feel that only comes from Disney. Its for this reason why I, as a big fan of both parks and even other parks, don't understand the comparisons. \(ツ)/
    ~things are looking mighty satisfactual~

  9. #69

    • враг народа
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    14,060
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Does anyone like Universal and Disney?

    Quote Originally Posted by NineteenTwenty8 View Post
    So Im assuming the eye roll means that you feel Uni should get a pass on its flaws and Disney should be nitpicked and combed over with a fine toothed comb? I see nothing wrong with holding Uni accountable for its flaws as we would hold Disney accountable.

    Universal fans hate that, they want Uni to be looked at as an equal or better than Disney but don't want Uni to face the scrutiny that Disney faces. Can't have it both ways, can't say "Uni is on par or better than Disney" , then when Uni's flaws are pointed out say "oh well Uni is the underdog so give them a break". Can't have it both ways.
    It's clear you've already made up your mind. Universal Studios Hollywood is something special, something different. It cannot be compared to Disney's theme parks or even Universal's other theme parks. It is, first and foremost a film studio. It gets to be chaotic and jumbled because that is authentic to its place, history and identity. It is not faked or abandoned, but real and continuing.

  10. #70

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,402

    Re: Does anyone like Universal and Disney?

    Quote Originally Posted by NineteenTwenty8 View Post
    Im not a fan of the Potter films, but like I said I do have an open mind and will try Potterland when it opens at USH. But I'll be just as critical and picky about it as I would a Disney park. Alot of people let Universal slide on their flaws but nitpick Disney to death, I won't do that. If Uni wants to play with the big boys then it gets judged like the big boys.
    I'm genuinely confused, I thought you said Universal doesn't deserve your money?

    Who exactly gives Universal a pass? I'd argue Universal gets judged WAY more than Disney. "Universal doesn't have enough to do, Universal doesn't have good themeing, Universal is cheap, Universal is like Six Flags, Universal doesn't have one central theme, etc." I could go on.

    You can't even really compare USH with Disneyland. USH is quite unique and a totally different animal from Disneyland.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

  11. #71

    • Sock Puppet
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    201

    Re: Does anyone like Universal and Disney?

    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    It's clear you've already made up your mind. Universal Studios Hollywood is something special, something different. It cannot be compared to Disney's theme parks or even Universal's other theme parks. It is, first and foremost a film studio. It gets to be chaotic and jumbled because that is authentic to its place, history and identity. It is not faked or abandoned, but real and continuing.
    I havent made up my mind. I said that I am planning to go to Potterland and give it a chance. The only thing I said was that Universal is obviously capable of doing what Disney does, so they should be held to the same standard. They are no longer the 'underdog' that can say "hey its the best we can do!". They are playing in the big leagues now and should be judged with the SAME scrutiny as Disney is judged. I see nothing wrong in that, nor do I think that is a biased position to take.

  12. #72

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ocala, FL
    Posts
    867

    Re: Does anyone like Universal and Disney?

    Quote Originally Posted by NineteenTwenty8 View Post
    I havent made up my mind. I said that I am planning to go to Potterland and give it a chance. The only thing I said was that Universal is obviously capable of doing what Disney does, so they should be held to the same standard. They are no longer the 'underdog' that can say "hey its the best we can do!". They are playing in the big leagues now and should be judged with the SAME scrutiny as Disney is judged. I see nothing wrong in that, nor do I think that is a biased position to take.
    I'll say. They've got a death grip on the Marvel characters for the Islands park and they're not letting them go. If they were able to get DC Comics characters into that area of the park, they could let go of Marvel and still be able to compete.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

  13. #73

    • Senior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    4,898

    Re: Does anyone like Universal and Disney?

    I take each park on its own terms and I love them all. Currently I've got the annual pass for Universal and am really enjoying it. In part this is because I can take the train to Universal, enjoy the day, have a margarita, and take the train home and I don't have to drive at all. Six Flags, Knott's, Disney... I have to leave before the parks close, and Disney's the only one that the train is practical at all. But Universal closes at 5 or 6, I get my full day in the park, and then I'm home.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

  14. #74

    • Yeah...I'm cool
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Glendale
    Posts
    2,874

    Re: Does anyone like Universal and Disney?

    Quote Originally Posted by stitchfanocala View Post
    LOL! Speaking of the Angels & Dodgers, I think they're having their freeway series this weekend.
    Yeah, went to the game tonight (Dodger stadium is 10 minutes from my house) Angeles blew it. They had a five run lead at one point, then wilson just served up meatballs. My mom and daughter were wearing their angels attire (I coach the Angels of our local little league) and they just got a thrashing from the dodger fans.
    spunky likes to suck that 3rd nipple(why am I your sig line........freak)! - Posted by my good friend Samsma

  15. #75

    • Sock Puppet
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    201

    Re: Does anyone like Universal and Disney?

    Quote Originally Posted by stitchfanocala View Post
    I'll say. They've got a death grip on the Marvel characters for the Islands park and they're not letting them go. If they were able to get DC Comics characters into that area of the park, they could let go of Marvel and still be able to compete.
    Yea, it's pretty scummy that Universal wont do the right thing and let go of the Marvel characters. There are a million different themes they could go with.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Trip Report] Krank's May 17th - 23rd Universal and Disney Trip Report (Picture Heavy)
    By Krankenstein in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-30-2009, 01:56 PM
  2. [Trip Report] Big Birthday Trip to Disneyland, Universal and Disney Studios!
    By Aladdin in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 07-30-2008, 03:39 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-04-2008, 11:12 PM
  4. Does anyone like horror movies?
    By Pirates Life For M in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 11-18-2007, 07:48 PM
  5. Does anyone else think that Disney is like Six flags?
    By FantasyWatersDude in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 01-28-2006, 07:47 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •