Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• I'm from Canada eh!

Re: 05/19/2013 - 05/22/2013... My DLR trip with my 3 girls.

Great TR. Your attention to detail is amazing. Did you keep notes? Your pictures remind me of travelling with my kids, escpecially when they were younger... thank you for that.

• Disneyland Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by Meville View Post
    Great TR. Your attention to detail is amazing. Did you keep notes? Your pictures remind me of travelling with my kids, escpecially when they were younger... thank you for that.
    I did. I had a small note book and pen with me and jotted down notes as I was running around. Kids had a blast, and I'm so glad I did this when I did. The gal and her daughter who watched my children while the wife and I did Club 33 was my long term tenant and family friend who's been on trips to DL with us many times, even riding out with us, and staying in our room (before she adopted her niece), and will be sorely missed. She sadly moved out and back to Indiana, which is why I never finished this trip report, as I've been renovating the house she was renting from me for sale/re-rent, and I am committed to finishing this TR... soon... hopefully.

• Selfie Expert

Quote Originally Posted by whoever View Post
    I did. I had a small note book and pen with me and jotted down notes as I was running around. Kids had a blast, and I'm so glad I did this when I did. The gal and her daughter who watched my children while the wife and I did Club 33 was my long term tenant and family friend who's been on trips to DL with us many times, even riding out with us, and staying in our room (before she adopted her niece), and will be sorely missed. She sadly moved out and back to Indiana, which is why I never finished this trip report, as I've been renovating the house she was renting from me for sale/re-rent, and I am committed to finishing this TR... soon... hopefully.
    Happy to hear this!! I'm looking forward to more!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

Excellent trip report!! Everyone looks so happy, I can tell you had a wonderfully epic trip. So cool!

You have a beautiful family

• waitin' to board

...very good trip report.....Thanks for posting...

• Disneyland Dreamer

05/21/2013....07:35..
    Stuck at bag check. Only 2 checking lines open… lines are easily 150 deep…. They aren’t letting anybody through yet.
    05/21/2013....07:39..
    They opened up 2 more lines… we jumped over to them when they appeared to be starting to move the barriers… still not letting anybody in.
    05/21/2013....07:43..
    At the DL gates… 11 people in front of us for this gate. The family selected to do the countdown to park open was from Montana.
    05/21/2013....07:49..
    Waiting at the hub for rope drop. The skies are gray and it looks like rain. Would be a welcome relief after yesterday, and more what we are used to on our Disney trips. The crowd is solid back to Market House.

05/21/2013....08:00..
    In line for Peter Pan

05/21/2013....08:24..
    After a whirlwind of Peter Pan, Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride, King Arthur’s Carousel, we are in line for Dumbo. While waiting, I notice I overlooked Jingles on the Carousel (and I did a complete circle of it looking the first time… I must have been blinded by Disney. Must swing past a second time during the trip and have one of the daughters snag a ride on Jingles. Noticed that only our pinwheel was spinning on Dumbo… weird.

05/21/2013....08:44..
    In line for Alice. The scaffolds look ugly… Why make Disney do something which apparently worked for the first 50+ years? At any rate… long line for pre-park opening… we JUST made it on the ride in time because up next…..

05/21/2013....09:06..
    Dropped all the ladies off for a 9:10 Bippity Boppity Boutique makeover (well… for the two oldest daughters that is… we supplied the dresses, one of which A hand made). After that I was off….

05/21/2013....09:14..
    At Main Street Station. Just scored a 15:30 res for the Lilly Belle. This is going to be great!!!

05/21/2013....09:21..
    Just scored FOUR fast passes for Indy, and jumping on Pirates..Seems it took 20 minutes from the walk-on queue until I got back onto Royal Street. Took some time to get some pics of things I’ve been wanting, and took some measurements of a special something…While I was occupied, the girls got done with their makeovers and got in a Snow White ride.

05/21/2013....10:06..
    In line for Fantasy Faire. We got to meet Cinderella, Ariel, and Aurora!

05/21/2013....10:23..
    KEW and I split and headed over to Indy… knocked out the first ride by 10:45… and second ride by 11:03. That’s a ride fast passes really shine on… She had a blast as usual… even in full on Tiana getup… After we got off, connected with A. She and the girls were heading to the Small World area for a Merida meet… KEW and I booked it cross park, and caught up to her by Alice.. The Merida queue had a 35 min wait posted…

[

05/21/2013....11:17..
    Due to the long Merida wait, we jumped on Small World. Was a good ride… think once is enough per trip of this one, though. Longish ride…. We were literally sitting in the boat for 16 minutes.

05/21/2013....11:37..
    The Merida line seemed to have got better, so we jumped in………. and …. Half way through, Merida goes on break… this isn’t looking good. I jump out and get the family some refreshments in the form of $3 sodas (need to keep the kids blood sugar up or they turn scary..) After some more waiting, Merida returns. Kids were geeked, and KEW drew this in her autograph book, which Merida appreciated…

05/21/2013....12:20..
    In the queue for tea cups… We all crammed into a purple cup, and I gave it a good spinning… CEW was going crazy with excitement as she LOVES spinning rides (or just being spun I supposed even if it is me doing the spinning).

05/21/2013....12:29..
    Its HAT time. This trip I was surprised….. KEW went for the Cheshire cat ears, and CEW went for the Ear headband with some flowing princess veil. VEW not having a say as she can’t talk got pink ears with first visit and her name/year embroidered on them.

05/21/2013....12:43..
    Not to miss a ride on Jingles… we all jumped on the Carousel… KEW got the honor.. she was jazzed about it….. other than saying “Who is Mary Poppins?” I had to tell her that she was the lady who sang about supercalifragilisticexpialidocious. She got it. Kids today..

05/21/2013....12:58..
    Showed up at Blue Bayou for a 13:00 reservation…Had a 5-10 min wait, and did NOT get a water-side table. L I do say, the Louisiana Lemonade I started with was AWESOME. I must find a recipe… The girls were all in melt down mode, so lunch was less than stellar. The food was great though, even when eaten at a fevered pace. A got the Salmon… I finished it for her. It was delectable. I got the strip loin… it was cooked better than the one I got at Carthay. Let that tell you something… the 33 cooks (they do double duty with Blue Bayou from what I’ve heard) can run circles around the Carthay and in theory Napa Rose cooks. KEW got the kids salmon, and CEW got the kids steak (also perfectly cooked Medium Rare). Their gumbo starter was awesome too. I may just have to find some gumbo tomorrow for lunch. Our server was Jessica. She did an admirable job, and our drinks (including my awesome lemonade) were always topped off.

05/21/2013....14:37..
    CEW really wanted to do Storybook Canal Boats or as she REPEATEDLY called it… the Whale ride. We split, and I took her while A took the other two for a snack. She was a hit in line, and I saw one couple eyeing my AWESOME Dole whip shirt with envy. Ride was nice, had a great captain, and a good crew. One mother was lamenting that her child had dropped her D600 body, and she had to revert to a few year old backup for the trip. I felt for her… and snapped away.

05/21/2013....14:51..
    Kids needed some time out of the sun, so we did a walk through of Sleeping Beauty’s Castle. Afterwards, we meandered down Main Street, and through most of the stores… stopping to critique the candy…Picked up a Hidden Mickey book in the Emporium… wish we had it at the start of the trip..
    05/21/2013....15:25..
    Main Street Station….. Boarding the Lilly Belle. Words cannot describe the awesomeness. Learned a TON of info from our very well versed CM conductor. All about Retlaw1 as it was formerly called. That SantaFe Railroad used to sponsor the Disneyland Rail Road, and that it had a former life as the “Grand Canyon” during said sponsorship. Today, we were pulled by the 5-Train, decked out in Blue. Learned about Emperor Hirohito, and how he loved his first ride, how the benches we were sitting on were from the Queen Mary when she was retrofitted into the floating restaurant, and that the carpet in the car was the last remnant they found in storage of the carpet from Walt’s apartment, and had the hidden Mickey/Minnie pairs… Very cool. Also learned about yesterland attractions such as the Toon Town Station being Videopolis station in the 60s… where you went to get your groove on. Also learned a bunch about the Dioramas… I think he said it was a single piece of un-seamed canvas 332’ long, 40’ high, and painted with 350 gallons of paint, and that it once held (and may still to this day) the dubious honor of world’s largest canvas. I also discovered the number of animals in the diorama (49 if you were wondering) including the armadillo…. Yes… there’s an armadillo… I didn’t get a pic, but I will next time I ride the train. The log book was beyond FULL, and had to get creative on the last page. Not surprising since it had been in use since October of 2012. We were the first entry for days and would be the last entry in that book.

05/21/2013....16:15..
    Back in the room… having some snacks, and changing to go swimming… The main waterslide is down today.. technicians were inspecting it while we were in the pool. They had the small one going for the really young kids. First time in 3 visits that we used the pools… Would love some more time and a working waterslide.

05/21/2013....18:30..
    Dinner at Golden Horseshoe while we figure out the rest of the evening. While A took the kids in, I sprinted over and back to Splash Mountain, only to find out they had exhausted their Fast Passes…L Oh well… back to dinner..the Fish & Chips were GREAT and the chicken nuggets were pretty good too.

05/21/2013....19:05..
    We find ourselves waiting for the Mark Twain. I really wanted to knock out a Pilot House Ride, so asked the CM when she showed up as it was pulling up to the dock. Doh… already booked up for the day… inquiries as to how to get said booking were simply responded with “be in the right place at the right time”. Guess this trip won’t make it happen unless we get extremely lucky tomorrow. There was a small group of the Main Street Elite Disney fan club standing at the dock, and I’ll let you guess who ended up in the pilot house that trip. It was a good trip around the rivers of America, albeit cold. Never realized it is roughly a 30 minute unload/board/trip around the island type of ride.

05/21/2013....19:45..
    Half way through the Jungle Cruise queue (definitely wasn’t going to miss it, one of my favorite rides in the park). CEW manages to fall and hurt herself right as a sweeper was coming through the queue. He gave her a sticker, which seemed to help after a bit. I wonder if the reason he was coming through the queue itself was the HORRIBLE state of garbage just strewn on the props/ground/etc. Seems a lot of people really are lazy. I was always taught pack it in, pack it out. More should follow suit and make it a better experience for us all.
    05/21/2013....20:04..
    In the Tiki Room queue getting Dole whip. Boy am I in trouble. The whip jerk (I just made up that title, like soda jerk) took off on break, leaving one gal who was training a newbie CM. It was a slow line for both sides being open and a whopping two CMs running the hut. At any rate, got some good pics of the 40% of our party who wore Dole Whip/Adventureland shirts into the park that day. Got a pin for VEW too, for her first Dole Whip experience (she’s a fan). Tiki room was awesome as usual, and CEW was singing up a storm in queue with the birds. She loves the Tiki room song.

05/21/2013....20:35..
    A took CEW and VEW over to Nemo as CEW LOVES, and I mean LOVES Nemo. KEW and I headed to Splash Mountain. It was walk-on. First trip through I caught a rogue wave after the main drop and my left side was soaked. Now I’m not sure if you’ve seen the previous trip reports, but KEW is a Splash FEIND!!! I mean like 12 times in a row one night addicted, so we’ve got a tradition of getting a pic each time we come. First pic, she had her eyes closed when the flash hit (she does this with flash photography for some reason). So we managed a second run thankfully… very close to closing… this time… PERFECTION!! Arms up, Cheshire Cat ears on, eyes open. It was a great end to a wonderful day. Met up with the rest of the girls at the hub, and made the way back to the hotel. Back in the room by 21:30. Hitting the sack now… last day in park tomorrow… going to be a rough one…

Last edited by whoever; 07-08-2013 at 09:49 PM.

• Disneyland Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by oodelally View Post
    Excellent trip report!! Everyone looks so happy, I can tell you had a wonderfully epic trip. So cool!
    One of the best, but we really should have stayed ONE more day. We took advantage of some pool time at the Grand this time around, and lost a good chunk of park time because of it. I think next trip, our first day will not include park tickets, but instead we will enjoy the amenities of the awesome hotel we pay for vs. only being in the room a few hours per day (pricey room to never be enjoying it).

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffibell View Post
    You have a beautiful family
    Thank you! We have a blast, but we are getting a little cramped in both the vehicle (XC90), and hotel room. I think a bigger version of both may be in order in the coming years.

Excellent stuff! The trains/miniature land and stuff were down when I went last October, so I didn't get to see it. The park seems a lot less busy from your pictures than when I went (except for the earlier part of the day-did you take most of your pictures then?). Well a few pics show larger crowds, but some are of areas that look downright empty!

It's also a pity I never rode the train- I have little problem walking all day, compared to most people, so I felt it was unnecessary. Most of the guidebooks kind of glossed over the neatness of the thing, so I think I missed out a bit. Oh well, a reason to go back I suppose...

Your camera is incredible, judging by those pictures... of course, everything beats my Disposable Camera bought in Disneyland for the princely sum of 20 bucks (5 bucks at Wal-Mart, heh).

• Disneyland Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by Jabroniville View Post
    Excellent stuff! The trains/miniature land and stuff were down when I went last October, so I didn't get to see it. The park seems a lot less busy from your pictures than when I went (except for the earlier part of the day-did you take most of your pictures then?). Well a few pics show larger crowds, but some are of areas that look downright empty!
    We've always had great luck/weather/timing. We typically go in October, and it is drizzly, so NO CROWDS. This was our first spring trip, and I think we only had one day which I would consider busy. Our last day, my oldest daughter and I were literally walking on Calf. Screaming OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER.

It's also a pity I never rode the train- I have little problem walking all day, compared to most people, so I felt it was unnecessary. Most of the guidebooks kind of glossed over the neatness of the thing, so I think I missed out a bit. Oh well, a reason to go back I suppose...
    I have wanted to do it for a while. I'd do it again. Awesome "tour" at no cost.

Your camera is incredible, judging by those pictures... of course, everything beats my Disposable Camera bought in Disneyland for the princely sum of 20 bucks (5 bucks at Wal-Mart, heh).
    Thanks! Its a D600 and I was sporting my 24-70/f2.8 most of the trip. Next time I'm going to buy (finances allowing) the new Nikon 24mm/f1.4 I was over ISOed in most shots because I was still getting used to the new body, and wasn't able to determine proper metering on the LCD on the body. It ROCKS in low light, but 2.8 f-stop is still way too slow for the dark rides, and my 50/1.4 wasn't cooperating/taking decent shots for whatever reason. I was swapping back and forth between pitch black and full light so much some of my full light shots were ruined due to over iso as you can probably see.

• Disneyland Dreamer

05/22/2013....07:42..
    In line at DCA with KEW. A and the little girls weren’t quite ready with the final packing and such, so KEW and I forged ahead as she was the only one of the girls who could do RSR. 12 people in line in front of me at the gate I’m at. Bag check was practically nonexistent. I think the anomaly from yesterday was due to DL getting Magic Morning people AND EMH people vs. DCA being only EMH. The first party at the front of my line were refused entry (they were probably Magic Morningers), and promptly stomped off spouting “Well that’s stupid”. The Disney spirit did not find them this fine morning. It was gray again (starting to see a theme here), and looked even more like rain. The park opened for us, and we got up to the rope at Carthay, and were promptly told that RSR was down, and would not be up until park open at 9am. Darn…. Change of plans….

05/22/2013....08:06..
    After a quick jaunt to the Pier, we jumped on Toy Story Midway Mania… it was literally walk on. I took VEW, and A took CEW/KEW. I did pretty good against VEW… I smoked her with 111,000 to her zero…

05/22/2013....08:20..
    After TSMM, A took KEW on Screamin’, while CEW/VEW and I rode Triton’s Carousel. KEW refused to go on Screamin’ with me because she was anxious, but she had no problems doing it with A. After we got off, I see them coming off, and KEW says…. AGAIN!!! A monster was born. I knew she’d love it as she’s a thrill junkie, but the first time on stuff she has a hard time overcoming. KEW and I jumped on and did it three times in a row. A took CEW/VEW on TSMM 3 times, and then headed over to Car’s Land and jumped in line for RSR.

05/22/2013....09:10..
    KEW and I hoofed it over double time, but had a delay as we were refused entry to Cars Land through the Wharf under the arch… ended up having to enter by Filmore’s. They really need to do this better with the RSR queue overflow, they shouldn’t block off entry points.
    05/22/2013....09:13..
    RSR was apparently over an hour by this point, so with A and the little girls in line, KEW and I quickly jumped on Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree. It was more high speed than I was expecting, and whipped you around pretty good. Guess I understand the height thing for it whereas before I had ridden it, I was like what the heck, a height limit on something equivalent to the tea cups?

05/22/2013....09:40..
    A gave up on RSR line, and went over to the Fast Pass line instead with VEW (sleeping nicely by now). I took KEW and CEW, and jumped on Flick’s Flyers. I’ve never been on this, and it wasn’t bad. Did a quick FP return time check for Tower of Terror and decided the time wasn’t quite right yet to grab them.

05/22/2013....09:45..
    In queue for Chew Chew Train. Practically walk on. I remember waiting FOREVER to ride this 2 trips back, and THAT was not worth it at all. The girls sat up front, and me behind. Nice diversion, and CEW likes it. By now, A/VEW was back with our RSR Fast Passes.

05/22/2013....09:57..
    A took CEW on the tuck and roll bumper cars while KEW, VEW, and I waited…CEW was loving it. It really is a shame there’s so little she can ride being under 40”. Next time (and Big thunder will be open to boot… Yay). The rides she could ride, she loved the heck out of… Afterwards, KEW and I decided to grab TOT FP for a 10:30-11:30 return time.. should work perfect.

• Disneyland Dreamer

05/22/2013....10:22..
    The wait for TOT was posted as 15 minutes and KEW was nervous about TOT (which is weird because she LOVED it back in 2010. Didn’t make it on last trip. Turns out it wasn’t the drops (she loves those), but the ghost aspect of it which had her worrying. Must be the realization of death at the age she’s at. At any rate, it wasn’t a good experience for her, and she was practically in tears on exit. Nix using those FP…A did grab a stroller pass though, and that would come in handy later in the day for me. We trekked back to the hotel for a break and to finalize the checkout, finish the bags, and get them down into storage. I took 10 minutes afterward to run around getting hotel pics as I had no time this trip until now. Got some good ones, I REALLY love the craftsman style.

• Disneyland Dreamer

05/22/2013....11:30..
    Trekked over to Redwood Creek Challenge trail and started to do the challenge for the merit badge. We couldn’t find Kevin’s foot prints for some reason. Headed around, did the howling slides, played in the hollow logs, started to do the totem pole deciphering, and the rock slides and mystic cave. Only KEW was tall enough for the rock climb, but she was awesome at it (kid is a monkey as it is). Ran into Doug. CEW was TERRIFIED of him, and by the time KEW got near, he had to exit out the cast member exit, but did give her some nice waves which she returned and was happy about. By this time, time was running short, so we abandoned the challenge, hoping to get back later in the day and finish, but that wasn’t in the cards. KEW and I have a Girl Scout Survival Camp in June for Father’s day, so a little bit of real world scouting challenge will have to suffice.

• Disneyland Dreamer

05/22/2013....11:55..
    Checked in Ariel’s Grotto for the girl’s 12:00 lunch and M&G. Went downstairs with them, shot off some pics, went out to the water side seating area they were eating at which jutted out into the lagoon, got them settled, and then took off for some Daddy time. First stop for me… Cove bar. Two Tower 10 IPAs were calling my name to cut the heat, help a little bit with the pain of walking 50 miles per day, and do some general people watching and enjoying the ambiance. Really like cove bar, it’s an adult oasis in DCA for sure. Contemplated some of the snack type meals they offer, but decided I’d rather go grab a hot dog/chips, and ride Screamin’, so off I went.

• Disneyland Dreamer

05/22/2013....14:30..
    I rode Screamin’ OVER and OVER and OVER… there was no wait, just walk out the exit, in the entrance, and back on. I got in 6 loops on it (I’d text the girls and let them know what color train and what car I was in and wave to them at Ariel’s as I rocketed past post-launch.) They saw me 3 or 4 times. After they got out, KEW was itching to go, so she and I looped on it 5 MORE times together, and got a GREAT photo, which I used my free photo coupon for. While KEW and I were looping, A and the small girls went and rode Ariel’s undersea adventure, got the free lanyards over at Blue Sky Cellar, got some popcorn in an Adventureland bucket (yay, Adventureland!) and then over to Cars land to select pins from Tin Lizzy’s shop. By 2:30, our FP for RSR had matured, so started heading over to Car’s Land with a stop for some barley soda for me on the wharf.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast