Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pros and Cons of Being a Frequent Local Disneylander?

Today I just went to Disneyland for just two hours because I needed to pick something up and decided to stay to do both tiki room and haunted mansion. As of now I am typing this up on my smart phone as a passenger in a speeding BMW M5 heading home. That's when I started thinking about ally frequent visits to the park. Yes I still love the park all the same and practically know the ins and outs but its started to become very commonplace to me. The scenery the ride the music the foods etc. The pros and coins of a frequent local guy like me. I am wondering what your pros and cons would be.

And sorry for any errors and not typing more. Trying to type in a fast moving car on a smart phone causes headaches if I prolong this any further.

Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

Re: Pros and Cons of Being a Frequent Local Disneylander?

It works best if there's some aspect of it that you can't get tired of. During my 2012 AP visits I routinely watched the fireworks from in front of the Toontown gate where, though the soundtrack is mostly inaudible or unintelligible, it's like fireworks in IMAX. One time I was thinking that maybe I was overdoing it, but then I thought that nobody will say "I think I saw too many fireworks displays" on his or her deathbed so I sat back and enjoyed the show. (I also enjoyed riding the Haunted Mansion, seeing the live and loud bands at the Tomorrowland stage and seeing Maleficent light the Rivers of America on fire during Fantasmic and never really got tired of them.)

• Mrs. J. Depp

When I was an AP here were my pros and cons:

PROS:
    - Visit the park whenever you'd like for whatever amount of time you'd like
    - Never in a rush to get everything done all at one time
    - Being able to explore plenty of things you've never done before

CONS:
    - You begin to take your visits for granted, and by that I mean that you get used to going so often that some things become not as special
    - You spend a lot on food and other things (or at least I did)
    - You go so much that people began to think you have no other life haha
    - You skip things like fireworks or Fantasmic and then regret it later

But from another perspective here, I haven't been an APer for almost 2 years now because I moved up north and hardly get to go anymore so here are my pros and cons on that.

PROS:
    - I save a lot of money
    - When I revisit, things seem all new and awesome because I haven't been for awhile
    - I gain an almost brand new appreciation for the parks

CONS:
    - I miss the parks like crazy
    - I miss out on fun things like the 24 hours extravaganza or the Gumball Rally

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• ...and the Flowers Croon

Do any of you AP holders notice that CMs start to recognize you, and that you're treated better/worse as a result?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBirdsSingWords View Post
    Do any of you AP holders notice that CMs start to recognize you, and that you're treated better/worse as a result?
    I always wear my Doctor Who T-Shirt when going (It's like a traditional thing I do. A day at Disney? Wear the Doctor), so I get recognized here and there. There's this guy on the Matterhorn who knows me by my shirt and face and we sometimes chat when the bobsleds are stopped. And at Carnation Cafe I know a few of the waitresses and I do believe they recognize me as well.

Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

I often wonder if I shouldn't return to Southern California to spend my final decades at Disneyland...it's the only thing I miss. Otherwise Oregon is lovely -- clean air and drinking water right out of the kitchen tap. But I left my heart in Anaheim
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

•   
    • Minion

I find that for me, these are the pros and cons:

PROS:

1. Have a chance to really explore every inch of the park and find the hidden treasures.
    2. Have a chance to spend time people watching, relaxing, or simply wandering without worrying about the ticking clock (ie, "oh no, I'm only here for two days and I HAVE to cram in all these things I want to do!")
    3. I'm able to enjoy all the different seasonal events at Disneyland, ie, Halloween time, Mardi Gras, Long Lost Friends, etc.
    4. I can always leave - if I'm tired, if it is too crowded, if the weather is too rainy/hot/sunny, etc. I can always go home and come back another day. I know there's nothing stopping me from using the AP again. That makes it easier for me to enjoy the park - when I came to Disneyland with one day or hopper tickets, I always felt as though I were wasting my money if I left early. That resulted in a lot of instances of forcing myself to keep going for every hour the park was open.
    5. I can't always do the AP events, but when I can, they're fun.
    6. Park merch and food discounts!!!

CONS:
    1. Blockout days. I miss out on stuff like Gumball Rally because my pass is blocked on Saturdays and I can't justify spending the money on a blockout ticket.
    2. I find that I do spend more on merch and food, and since I visit often that adds up...bad for my wallet; great for Disney.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Just this guy......

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
    When I was an AP here were my pros and cons:

PROS:
    - Visit the park whenever you'd like for whatever amount of time you'd like
    - Never in a rush to get everything done all at one time
    - Being able to explore plenty of things you've never done before

CONS:
    - You begin to take your visits for granted, and by that I mean that you get used to going so often that some things become not as special
    - You spend a lot on food and other things (or at least I did)
    - You go so much that people began to think you have no other life haha
    - You skip things like fireworks or Fantasmic and then regret it later
    This is fairly close to what I think. But I do also like being a tour guide to friends and family from out of town and I get to see the park new through their eyes.

• #bringevilback

I love being able to go and not feel rushed to do things. Today I went and visited the princesses for a phot project I'm working on for my niece, had dinner at Napa Rose with my parents, then went back in and watched F! And went home. I didn't go on any rides and never felt like it was a wasted trip like many non-regular visitors might.

• Parking Lot > DCA

I get the same treatment from every CM. Nothing out of the ordinary really.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcatrik View Post
    It works best if there's some aspect of it that you can't get tired of. During my 2012 AP visits I routinely watched the fireworks from in front of the Toontown gate where, though the soundtrack is mostly inaudible or unintelligible, it's like fireworks in IMAX. One time I was thinking that maybe I was overdoing it, but then I thought that nobody will say "I think I saw too many fireworks displays" on his or her deathbed so I sat back and enjoyed the show.
    I love watching the fireworks from the Disneyland Railroad. Especially when the train departs New Orleans Square station, you can see the fireworks explode almost directly over your head and the dark and quiet Rivers of America pair great with the fireworks. It does get very loud as the train approaches the fireworks launch area and I believe it is the closest you can get to the massive shells. Also riding the train through the It's A Small World facade while they run projections for the fireworks show is also a sight to see!

Quote Originally Posted by CassiefRN View Post
    I love being able to go and not feel rushed to do things. Today I went and visited the princesses for a phot project I'm working on for my niece, had dinner at Napa Rose with my parents, then went back in and watched F! And went home. I didn't go on any rides and never felt like it was a wasted trip like many non-regular visitors might.
    I visited the park on Friday last week during Grad Nights. It was so busy it was really hard to do any major E-Ticket attractions. But since I have an AP, I didn't feel the need to get on as many attractions as possible so I just strolled around the park, rode the DLRR during fireworks as i mentioned above, and had dinner at Storyteller's Cafe. Back in the day when I didn't have an AP, I would eat in the park as fast as possible in order to maximize the amount of time doing attractions but now I eat at the finer sit down restaurants at the GCH or Downtown Disney.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • ♠ Pirate Wizard ♠

Blog Entries

Yep. I love my Disneyland CM acquaintances. Get called out by name when I least expect it or an instant wave when seen across the crowds is always fun. All amazing and continuing experiences. Definitely a bonus when ever I visit. There SO nice!

Last edited by Jerryp49; 05-20-2013 at 03:49 AM.

• formerly very helpful

It seems that when I had an AP, my list would have been quite similar to most of what people have mentioned here.

Biggest pro was it eliminated the need to rush, and I could really savor the park. Like slowly eating a huge ice cream sundae, instead of gulping it in huge mouthfuls, and getting a head freeze.

Biggest con (appart from wallet) was that it eliminated much of the excitement of the anticipation. As a kid, I spent many sleepless nights, since I was so excited about my yearly trip to Disneyland the next day. I haven't had that feeling for a long time at Disneyland.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast