Would and Should Disney Create More "Musical" Attractions at the Disneyland Resort?

We all enjoy Disney's "Musical" Attractions right? By musical I mean A) A vast majority of the attraction focuses on song(s)/music throughout the ride (e.g. Splash Mountain) or B) A single song that defines the attraction itself (e.g. Haunted Mansion).

To get a very broad idea of what I mean, here are some attractions that I recollected about before typing up this entire post...
    - Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room
    - Pirates of the Caribbean
    - The Haunted Mansion
    - Country Bear Jamboree
    - Splash Mountain
    - It's a Small World
    - General Electric's Carousel of Progress
    - America Sings

Now off the top of my head, the only attraction that seem to remember that can fit on the list and is recent is "The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Undersea Adventure" at California Adventure which opened in 2011. It is much like Splash Mountain, taking music from the movie and creating a storyline based around the music (Or in this case just directly copying and pasting the movie's plot). If memory dictates me correctly, the closest musical attraction built before 2011 is Splash Mountain, which opened in 1989. That's nearly a 22 year gap between between attractions with a musical undertone.

And on that matter, what was the last attraction to use an original soundtrack? I mean no disregard to Splash Mountain, I love Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah, but nearly all the songs originated from Song of the South. I am talking about stuff like the Enchanted Tiki Room or the Carousel of Progress. Original songs heard nowhere else except the attraction.

What do you think? Should Disney create more of these kinds of attractions? Having a musical tone to it and/or a very memorable song that defines the attraction itself. Or are both parks pretty content with their current amount? Personally for me, I would love to have another musical attraction, but something a bit more grand than Ariel's Undersea Adventure. I mean the attraction doesn't have to be monsterly huge like Splash Mountain to be effective. Look at the Enchanted Tiki Room! It takes up very little space and still retains an epic stature.

But it looks like my hopes and dreams for a grand and memorable musical attraction are dashed faster than a boulder rolling down a hill. Current rumors point to Tron Land replacing the Submarine Lagoon and a third gate whose sole theme is Star Wars. Seriously, how can you make a musical Star Wars attraction? Star Wars Holiday Special: The Ride?Don't give them ideas...

Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

• Minion

Re: Would and Should Disney Create More "Musical" Attractions at the Disneyland Resor

Quote Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
    Seriously, how can you make a musical Star Wars attraction? Star Wars Holiday Special: The Ride?Don't give them ideas...
    You mean you don't want to see an animatronic Diahann Carroll as "Mermeia Holographic Wow" gyrating (slowly, mechanically and repetitively) in front of Chewbacca's father Itchy who's wearing holographic headgear?

Mystic Manor in Hong Kong has an original score, but no real song like "Grim Grinning Ghosts" AFAIK.

"It's Tough To Be A Bug" has an original song, though it's not a "ride." I would count it because it's kind of the modern equivalent of Country Bear Jamboree or (sniff) America Sings (whose Tomorrowland location didn't bother me because it was a show performed completely by robots).
    Last edited by bigcatrik; 05-19-2013 at 09:57 PM.

• Senior Minion

Re: Would and Should Disney Create More "Musical" Attractions at the Disneyland Resor

This is a good question which I've thought about a lot recently as well. I would definitely like to see more music based attractions. I do enjoy the music for Screamin' and Soarin', so they have done some original scores at DLR more recently, but it's been a long time for a song. Songs tend to work better in original attractions or using ones from the movie in a film based attraction. It's hard to do a new song for an existing film property. Since that's mostly their focus, we're just not likely to get too many new songs. But I'm sure their may be something eventually, it will be interesting to see if Mickey and the Magical Map has any original songs.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• -

Golden Dreams had a song during its final montage, which was the best part of that show.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Yeah, that's one thing I've been trying to contemplate while doing this thread. Do theme tunes and show based attractions like Fantasmic count? I guess I could consider it since they do define the attraction itself. Fantasmic wouldn't be the same without that awesome intro and outro music, and the way Soarin's theme song plays throughout the whole movie through little motifs if too great to comprehend. While I originally was just thinking about things like Splash Mountain or Haunted Mansion over and over, I keep on forgetting the shows. Would that also mean the parades fit into the same subject? Or am I just going overboard thinking about what and what does not count as a musical attraction?

Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

• Nutty about Disney parks

I would enjoy seeing attractions with more original music or attractions based on Disney musicals that have not yet been tapped a bajillion times (I'm looking at you renaissance four).

• formerly very helpful

Music has, IMHO, been greatly under appreciated, and under utilized of late. A powerful and emotional score can do so much for creating the mood, and the memorability of an attraction. Just imagine Its a Small World without that score.(no jokes!) if everything else was the same, I don't think it would have been as iconic as it has been for the past 40+ years. The same for POTC, without YoHo,Yo Ho. In Florida they rewrote Tiki Room years ago and it was an horrendous failure. The right music can make or break an experience, IMHO. How many of us sit and listen to CDs of Disney themes and attractions? That music conjours up memories and emotions.
    that said, absolutely Disney needs more musical attractions. But they definitely need the RIGHT music.