Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Minion

Re: Disney's Berry Farm or Disney's America! As a 3rd Gate

Quote Originally Posted by 4th Gen Disney Fan View Post
    I'm glad Disney wasn't able/willing to acquire the property. Knott's has a unique atmosphere as opposed to a Disney Park. I think it would have been lost if the purchase had been completed. For as long as I can remember, Knott's was considered to be sort of an "in-between" park compared to Disney and Magic Mountain, i.e. Some dark rides and actual themeing in the different areas mixed with quite a few coasters. Whereas Disney has major themeing in ALL areas and tons of dark rides as well as relatively tame roller coasters in contrast with Magic Mountain's token themeing and large scale coasters.

I do like the idea of Disney building it's OWN version of an "Americana" park as a 3rd gate as opposed to a Marvel or Star Wars park though..... Hmm. That would actually be pretty interesting to think about!
    I agree. I think a "Disney's America" park would be great.

We have the California park, I think expanding it out to include a park that brings to life some of the USA's other history from across the land would be awesome. It would open the park up for some amazing possibilities for imagination in newly designed attractions that don't necessarily have to be movie-based, but it would also be a great opportunity to bring something didactic back into the parks rather than just passive thrills.

The only thing that could bring about a question regarding a park that celebrates Americana is that much of Disneyland already does that.

I still think it would be better than a Star Wars or Marvel park. But then again, that's personal taste on my part.

When I heard news of that park in Virginia that they had thought about at one time, I thought that would be an interesting park to visit. So I'd have no prob with them doing something like that in Anaheim.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    I think Disney is best developing their own parks from scratch, not re-developing other parks.
    Hm... Disney hasn't ever redeveloped another park, so we can't know how well they would do.

Quote Originally Posted by NDNation View Post
    Hm... Disney hasn't ever redeveloped another park, so we can't know how well they would do.
    are you a Notre Dame fan?

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NDNation View Post
    Disney California Adventure came pretty close.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I like competition. Even though, today Knotts is nothing compared to Disney as it was back in the 70s. But that was when the Knott family still kept it very true to it roots as opposed to today. At this point Disney would just want the land and spray their marketing slop all over it, something I'm not interested in at all.

Quote Originally Posted by CASurfer65 View Post
    I agree. I think a "Disney's America" park would be great.

We have the California park, I think expanding it out to include a park that brings to life some of the USA's other history from across the land would be awesome. It would open the park up for some amazing possibilities for imagination in newly designed attractions that don't necessarily have to be movie-based, but it would also be a great opportunity to bring something didactic back into the parks rather than just passive thrills.

The only thing that could bring about a question regarding a park that celebrates Americana is that much of Disneyland already does that.

I still think it would be better than a Star Wars or Marvel park. But then again, that's personal taste on my part.

When I heard news of that park in Virginia that they had thought about at one time, I thought that would be an interesting park to visit. So I'd have no prob with them doing something like that in Anaheim.
    Perhaps you're not aware, but back in the early 90's while Eisner was in charge, Disney had plans to create such a park called Disney America in Haymarket, Virginia. But opposition from locals as well as historic groups like "Protect Historic America" convinced Disney to cancel the idea. It received a lot of negative national attention and Disney decided against it. If they tried it again, there would be plenty of historical groups to continue to oppose the idea. Disney needs to stay out of the history department when it comes to theme parks. They've butchered a few stories in history when it has come to a few of their animated films, **cough Pocahantes cough ** and many historical societies would rip Disney a new one if they tried to do a theme park. Besides, the historical societies do a much better job anyways. Anyone ever been to Mount Vernon in Virginia to mention at least one? I love visiting many if not all of this nation's historical landmarks. And at Vernon, not just the building & the grounds themselves, but also the museum at the visitor center is amazing!!! It could take at least 2 hours just to see all the sites in there themselves.

In case it was missed, ....... Disney's America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

• Mrs. J. Depp

I think I'd be really impressed if they could build a third original gate based on ONE thing. The reason that's so tough is because generally that theme or idea would have to be REALLY broad. DCA was a stretch, even though they had plenty to work with. I can't see a whole America themed park as being a huge success anywhere but the East Coast, and even then it would be a WHOLE park and I can't see that maintaining any kind of stability long term.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by stitchfanocala View Post
    Perhaps you're not aware, but back in the early 90's while Eisner was in charge, Disney had plans to create such a park called Disney America in Haymarket, Virginia. But opposition from locals as well as historic groups like "Protect Historic America" convinced Disney to cancel the idea. It received a lot of negative national attention and Disney decided against it. If they tried it again, there would be plenty of historical groups to continue to oppose the idea. Disney needs to stay out of the history department when it comes to theme parks. They've butchered a few stories in history when it has come to a few of their animated films, **cough Pocahantes cough ** and many historical societies would rip Disney a new one if they tried to do a theme park. Besides, the historical societies do a much better job anyways. Anyone ever been to Mount Vernon in Virginia to mention at least one? I love visiting many if not all of this nation's historical landmarks. And at Vernon, not just the building & the grounds themselves, but also the museum at the visitor center is amazing!!! It could take at least 2 hours just to see all the sites in there themselves.

In case it was missed, ....... Disney's America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Very aware. I was a CM at the time. And knew about the opposition too.

Perhaps they make things more authentic then to appease the historical masses on the east coast? I would have had no problem with that, then...or now.

There will always be those who have a "thing" about Disney though. Maybe some of it is deserved. Disney has already been accused by some of "butchering" things (e.g. fairy tales), so this came as no surprise.

I think it would be possible to achieve some authenticity though that Disney has sometimes left by the wayside. There are many historical locations across our nation that do that very well, so no reason Disney can't as well.

In the meantime, I think it would be a very neat addition.

In my opinion, after the Virginia failure, Disney probably chooses to avoid going down that road again. The closest we will probably ever get is Great Moments with Mr Lincoln and the Hall of Presidents. Speaking of which, I've been to MK numerous times thus far and I still have yet to see that. I need to put that on my list for the next time.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by stitchfanocala View Post
    In my opinion, after the Virginia failure, Disney probably chooses to avoid going down that road again. The closest we will probably ever get is Great Moments with Mr Lincoln and the Hall of Presidents. Speaking of which, I've been to MK numerous times thus far and I still have yet to see that. I need to put that on my list for the next time.
    Very well could be.

When it comes to literature, I have friends who aren't crazy about the way Disney treated the fairy tales, but IMO, I was always fine with it. There was indeed some license taken as Disney made these stories their own. Again though, I'm okay with it.

I have friends who don't like what Baz Lurhman did with The Great Gatsby, while others were fine with it.

As for our past? Historical license can certainly be a little more dicey than treatments of literature, and I know Disney has been seen as taking some of that license in representing history, as well, be it in their movies or even at the park.

I'm not sure that too much reality was what Walt wanted in his park though as it was a place where you were to leave the world outside. Was the frontier always the sanitized, good place to live? No. Did stories in history always work themselves out in the positive ways that a Disney movie did? No. But I thought that the things he did in his park often elicited interest in topics and subjects so when you did go out and study the realities yourself, you'd see the difference. You understood that Disney wasn't creating a museum. He was creating a place for entertainment.

I always thought it would have been neat to see a Liberty Square go in there behind the Opera House in what is now the backstage area though. Play up the Johnny Tremain theme (though I know that is a dated movie now) with a silversmith shop, meeting house, and overall colonial township, etc. where you could relive that time of history and even buy things that weren't necessarily all Disney, all the time (maybe things of pewter or silver, or historical documents on parchment, that kind of thing).

Certainly I don't have a problem with Disney images, plush, etc.....but I did like when some of the shops at the park were more generic and themed to their area.

• Sock Puppet

If Disney bought Knotts, they should bulldoze it and build a real theme park in its place. I vote DisneySea or Westcot.

Sorry, carny spinner/theme-less coaster fans!

Quote Originally Posted by NineteenTwenty8 View Post
    If Disney bought Knotts, they should bulldoze it and build a real theme park in its place. I vote DisneySea or Westcot.

Sorry, carny spinner/theme-less coaster fans!
    Knott's fans, what they would do to you>>>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12