Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Unhelpful User

Disney's Berry Farm or Disney's America! As a 3rd Gate

Would that of work? Back in 1997 the Knott's berry farm was for sale and Disney placed a bid to buy them off, as we all know Cedar fair parks bought them off and the rest is history, But would you like to see one day to see if Disney would buy cedar fair off to make Knotts part of the DLR and call it for example Disney's Berry Farm or The so called Disney's America, I mean its only 7 miles away from Disneyland , this park has so much potential to be a Disney Park and Imagineers would love to do that one day, and that would really make the 3rd gate believable and finally end the discussion of the harbor strawberry field and adding the 3rd gate there , just an idea, please share your thoughts!

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Re: Disney's Berry Farm or Disney's America! As a 3rd Gate

I heard that the Disney lost the bid to Knotts because the Knott family turned them down, not because Disney pulled out. Apparently the Knott family felt that Disney would have destroyed the legacy that Walter Knott established. In hindsight though I personally think Disney would have been a better choice and would not have put in roller coasters all over the place like Cedar Fair did. But to remove the Knotts name IMO is practically sacrilege, and if that were to happen I personally would not have been happy, no matter who the owner was. The silver lining is that with Matt Ouimet now in charge of Cedar Fair, Knotts is slowly being transformed into something closer to what it was historically, and also into a place that it could have become if Disney had bought them out. It has a long way to go and perhaps may never fully get there, but at least it is headed in the right direction.

Would it have worked with Disney as the owner? It sure would. Should they have removed the Knotts name? Heck no.

• The doctor is in

I would rather Disney just create a 3rd park if they want to expand. I don't think Disney buying Knotts Berry Farm and renaming it, or overrunning it with Disney characters, would have worked too well. Just my opinion.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

I like roller coasters and Knott's did pretty well in that regard for a while after the CF takeover. If GhostRider gets refurbished back to its original specs I will get a Knott's pass again.

• Nutty about Disney parks

I'm surprised that they would choose Cedar Fair over Disney to sell this park too. Sad they didn't do their research.

its too far to work as part of the resort. transportation alone would be a nightmare

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I think Disney is best developing their own parks from scratch, not re-developing other parks.

Think that the fact that the Knott family got a seat on the Board of Directors may have sealed the deal with Cedar Fair. I wouldn't have thought that Disney during those years would have done that.

Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    I would rather Disney just create a 3rd park if they want to expand. I don't think Disney buying Knotts Berry Farm and renaming it, or overrunning it with Disney characters, would have worked too well. Just my opinion.

My opinion also....I just can't see Knotts Berry Farm becoming Disney.
    For the love of Disney....

• No Disassemble!

If Disney had taken over instead of Cedar Fair I wonder what would have happened to the Peanuts characters.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

I love Knott's, and love Disneyland - but mashing them together would not have worked out. Knott's would have just changed in different ways, away from the 'coaster addition rush' - yes, they would have kept it more family friendly and a influx of cash/more 'lush' treatments earlier on, and not so many 'bare steel' rides, but Ghost Town would have been made been more PC and less quirky doubtless (Goldie's Place, the aging dioramas, the Western Trails museum and others doubtless scrapped for retail) no Mystery Lodge attraction built most likely, and I can't see Disney wanting to allow/run Halloween Haunt as it had been established, so a bunch of advances and great years of Haunt never would have happened, as they likely would have just stopped the event entirely or Disney-fied it to the point of being unrecognizable.

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    no Mystery Lodge attraction built most likely, and I can't see Disney wanting to allow/run Halloween Haunt as it had been established,
    Mystery Lodge (1994) was already there when CF took over (1997). GhostRider (1998) was in the planning stages and CF could have easily axed it but they didn't.

I thought I heard that Disney was bidding on it AFTER Cedar Fair was ready to sell the company. I thought that Cedar Fair was no longer the owner and they went to someone else. I remember Disney was eyeing property around the Buena Park mall, but never went through. But I guess I was wrong about the Cedar Fair selling it part.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

I'm glad Disney wasn't able/willing to acquire the property. Knott's has a unique atmosphere as opposed to a Disney Park. I think it would have been lost if the purchase had been completed. For as long as I can remember, Knott's was considered to be sort of an "in-between" park compared to Disney and Magic Mountain, i.e. Some dark rides and actual themeing in the different areas mixed with quite a few coasters. Whereas Disney has major themeing in ALL areas and tons of dark rides as well as relatively tame roller coasters in contrast with Magic Mountain's token themeing and large scale coasters.

I do like the idea of Disney building it's OWN version of an "Americana" park as a 3rd gate as opposed to a Marvel or Star Wars park though..... Hmm. That would actually be pretty interesting to think about!
    "I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

• Former Churro Jockey

I ABSOLUTELY would not want Disney to take over Knott's. They would destroy Haunt, which is the best thing about Knott's and one of the best events in So Cal period.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast