• Nerd.

Disneyland Prospectus- April 1954

Rare, amazing original prospectus for Disneyland - Boing Boing

Sorry if this isn't new to some of you, but it was to me. Saw this Disneyland prospectus posted today from 1954. Quite an interesting read about the overview of the park. Some happened, some never made it to reality. Hard not to notice the stereotypes in this document as well.
    Last edited by tofubeast; 05-20-2013 at 08:35 AM.

Re: Disneyland Prospectus- April 1954

Thanks for sharing!
    For the love of Disney....

• Minion

I couldn't help but notice the "darkies" and the cotton plantation. I guess they REALLY wanted to be historically accurate.

It's amazing, reading this document, and realizing just how many of the descriptions came to be in Disneyland, now. As I read every word, I kept envisioning in the park. Main Street, the castle (I love how in the document, there is no mention of the castle being extremely tall), the Jungle Cruise... The rocket ship ride turned out to be Star Tours. I find that amazing. Fantasyland, Adventureland, Tomorrowland, Frontierland... I drew so many parallels. Absolutely amazing.

The one and only Disneyland. I don't care what anyone says, the castle doesn't need to be taller and the Main Street buildings are fine the way they are... They're charming. Disneyland doesn't need to be like the other Disney parks. This document is AWESOME.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Senior Minion

Thanks for the link, tofubeast -- an amazing document! What's really astonishing to me isn't how much of that April 1954 prospectus remains today in Disneyland, but how much the ideas for Disneyland improved between April 1954 and opening day in 1955 -- much less in the short 15 years after that prospectus was printed: Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Mine Train thru Nature's Wonderland, the Tiki Room, Small World, the Monorail, Matterhorn, Submarines, Tomorrowland '67 with the PeopleMover and Adventure thru Innerspace, and so much more.

When it came to innovation and imagination, the improvement curve of Disneyland in those years was almost vertical.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

The scale actually grew since the document keeps mentioning ponies and "pony-size," (Main Street, according to the document, was supposed to be 80% life-size) probably an attempt to keep the project within a reasonable limit/budget. But, of course, the first floor of Main Street is "life-size" and many full-size horses have trodden through Disneyland.

• Seeker of Fun

Thanks for sharing..great post!
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

That was great! Funny how just over a year before DL opened they didn't have a final plan on what would be in it. Skip to today and it takes years to have one ride completed. Boy have times changed.

• Minion

That was a great link that's for sharing!

• Nerd.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Thanks for the link, tofubeast -- an amazing document! What's really astonishing to me isn't how much of that April 1954 prospectus remains today in Disneyland, but how much the ideas for Disneyland improved between April 1954 and opening day in 1955 -- much less in the short 15 years after that prospectus was printed: Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Mine Train thru Nature's Wonderland, the Tiki Room, Small World, the Monorail, Matterhorn, Submarines, Tomorrowland '67 with the PeopleMover and Adventure thru Innerspace, and so much more.

When it came to innovation and imagination, the improvement curve of Disneyland in those years was almost vertical.

So so true. Amazing that some of the visions in this document came about years later. The vision was not lost.

Though it still boggles my mind that the park was built in about a year. Can't imagine anything moving that fast anymore!

*glad you guys enjoyed it. really is a fascinating read*

• Halloween 2011

Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    ... The rocket ship ride turned out to be Star Tours.
    Actually, the rocket ship ride was Rocket To The Moon, with the iconic McDonnel/Douglas Rocket Ship in the center of Tomorrowland. Amazingly, the ride experience pretty much duplicates this blue-sky document.
    Rocket to the Moon at Yesterland

Quote Originally Posted by bigcatrik View Post
    The scale actually grew since the document keeps mentioning ponies and "pony-size," (Main Street, according to the document, was supposed to be 80% life-size) probably an attempt to keep the project within a reasonable limit/budget. But, of course, the first floor of Main Street is "life-size" and many full-size horses have trodden through Disneyland.
    The first floor is life-size, but the second and third stories are smaller, using forced perspective to make them appear taller without being imposing. Perhaps that what Walt meant by "pony sized" since you obviously couldn't get adult guests into scaled-down doors and ceilings on the first floor to shop.

At random I saw this article on the Disney blog that confirms what the 1954 document says -- Adventureland was planned to be where Tomorrowland is but an existing group of eucalyptus trees on the west side made it more practical to put the Jungle Cruise in its current spot.
    It’s a Jungle Out There: The History of Jungle Cruise Horticulture « Disney Parks Blog

• Evil is Sexy

I laughed out loud at the Shellback Ceremony during the Real Life Adventures. Hm... think King Trident will certify me over in DCA instead?
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

• California Adventurer...

Thanks for this! I love reading historical things about Disneyland! Love it!

Thank you so much for sharing such an important historical document about the beginnings of Disneyland. It really is amazing how much Walt and his imagineers were able to accomplish in such a short amount of time.

With so many nay-sayers and heavy negative feedback from people who did not believe the idea of a theme park like this would work. Yet, look at it now, it is beyond the magical place where my Mom took us the first time as tiny babies and toddlers in the mid sixties...

Thanks again so much!