View Poll Results: Who creates a believable pier / boardwalk ?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • DCA's Paradise Pier is like the real thing

13 36.11%
  • Knott's makes me feel like I'm at the beach

3 8.33%
  • Neither, but I give the edge to Disney

19 52.78%
  • Neither, but I'll go with Knott's

0 0%
  • They're about equal

1 2.78%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Sock Puppet

Re: Knott's Boardwalk vs. Disney California Adventure's Paradise Pier

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Thematically correct, check. Better than Monstropolis for California Adventure, check.

Disney enough? Maybe not.

Better than Knott's? Questionable.
    Questionable? Lol Show me one example of Knotts Boardwalk that even comes close (looks wise) to the Midway Mania bldg or Mermaid bldg. Come on, there is no contest.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NineteenTwenty8 View Post
    Questionable? Lol Show me one example of Knotts Boardwalk that even comes close (looks wise) to the Midway Mania bldg or Mermaid bldg. Come on, there is no contest.
    The Mermaid building you speak of. Is it on the Pier? Is there a pier? Or is it a collection of seaside amusements around a lake?

Design wise, Paradise Pier missed the mark at bieng a PIER.

• Mrs. J. Depp

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    If that was their intention with DCA 1.0, they weren't trying very hard with the whole time period thing.

Amusement piers, fairs and carnivals never appealed to me. There's just something, cold and empty about them like they were skeletons. I guess this was Walt's feeling on them too. At least Disney is doing more with PP thanks to TLM and TSM.
    My thoughts exactly. They didn't try very hard. What they did was mix different pier genres together and it wasn't a good outcome. It could have been really classic with a wooden rollercoaster, ferris wheel and carousel, along with a couple of other things. What they did instead was mix pier with circus with carnival. Mehhh.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Dopey24 View Post
    yeah. i think knotts will have a good year this summer. im planning to buy a pass. looking foward to see the new stuff.
    My gut feeling is that this is gong to be a huge summer for Knotts. For sure it won't beat out DL but I think this summer will be very good for Knotts. The Boardwalk really isn't that big of a deal in relation to the Log Ride re-opening next week. THAT is going to be huge. And really at least to me is way more exciting than Disney's lame "Monstrous Summer" campaign.

• Sock Puppet

The Mermaid building you speak of. Is it on the Pier? Is there a pier? Or is it a collection of seaside amusements around a lake?

The Mermaid building is on Paradise Pier, the thread is Knotts Boardwalk vs Paradise Pier. So the Mermaid building is fair game. Is it technically a real pier? no clue and doesnt matter, stop trying to change the subject. So can you post one picture of a part of the Knotts boardwalk that comes close to Mermaid or Midway Mania (looks wise)...... I'll wait

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

The Mermaid building is on Paradise Pier, the thread is Knotts Boardwalk vs Paradise Pier. So the Mermaid building is fair game. Is it technically a real pier? no clue and doesnt matter, stop trying to change the subject. So can you post one picture of a part of the Knotts boardwalk that comes close to Mermaid or Midway Mania (looks wise)...... I'll wait
    First of all, I didn't change the subject. I started the subject. I created this thread.

Re read what I said: Mermaid looks across the water at what Disney calls a Pier. But it is in the "land" called Paradise Pier.

So what I'm saying is, it's more like a boardwalk and a lake than a pier. Disney could have designed something that jutted out into the water: that would have been a pier.

And this is not a popularity contest, and I don't have a preference for either Knott's or DCA's boardwalk. I simply wanted to know what other thought, which is who executed the theme better and why.

As for waiting for me to post photos to "prove" Knott's is better, that's not going to happen because I haven't even laid eyes on Knott's boardwalk, I can barely remember the park at all.

Since Knott's and Disney are both offering a similar product, I was merely curious as to which one is better and why people think so.

• Hello Dolly.

I love DCA's better. Knott's boardwalk area always looked the least inspiring and dried out. Nighttime on the pier is beautiful as well.
    The new area at Knotts looks great though.

• Goofy

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    My gut feeling is that this is gong to be a huge summer for Knotts. For sure it won't beat out DL but I think this summer will be very good for Knotts. The Boardwalk really isn't that big of a deal in relation to the Log Ride re-opening next week. THAT is going to be huge. And really at least to me is way more exciting than Disney's lame "Monstrous Summer" campaign.
    yep. lol

Paradise Pier, by a country mile. Rides, theming, landscaping, it may not be the best land in the resort, but its better than two flats, a mouse, and a pond. And Little Mermaid absolutely counts, its part of Paradise Pier as much as anything else.
    Forget 'Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln,' Samantha Brown is Disney's most sophisticated animatronic.
    Tokyo Disneyland: 2009, 2012
    Disneyland Paris: 2010
    Hong Kong Disneyland: 2012
    Universal Orlando: 2007, 2010 (twice!)
    Efteling:2011
    Lotte World: 2012

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by BlAcKoUt510 View Post
    I love DCA's better. Knott's boardwalk area always looked the least inspiring and dried out. Nighttime on the pier is beautiful as well.
    The new area at Knotts looks great though.
    What we are talking about isn't open yet. It wasn't inspiring and it was dried out. What we are talking about is the remodel of that area. In that regard the concept art at least to me looks more like something you would find along the ocean. As CA says, PP looks more like a collection of sea themed buildings placed around a lake more than on an ocean.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by jimmay View Post
    paradise pier, by a country mile. Rides, theming, landscaping, it may not be the best land in the resort, but its better than two flats, a mouse, and a pond. And little mermaid absolutely counts, its part of paradise pier as much as anything else.
    this ^

• Sock Puppet

First of all, I didn't change the subject. I started the subject. I created this thread.

Re read what I said: Mermaid looks across the water at what Disney calls a Pier. But it is in the "land" called Paradise Pier.

So what I'm saying is, it's more like a boardwalk and a lake than a pier. Disney could have designed something that jutted out into the water: that would have been a pier.

And this is not a popularity contest, and I don't have a preference for either Knott's or DCA's boardwalk. I simply wanted to know what other thought, which is who executed the theme better and why.

As for waiting for me to post photos to "prove" Knott's is better, that's not going to happen because I haven't even laid eyes on Knott's boardwalk, I can barely remember the park at all.

Since Knott's and Disney are both offering a similar product, I was merely curious as to which one is better and why people think so.
    So a few posts ago you said it was "questionable" if PP was better than Knotts boardwalk, NOW your saying that you haven't laid eyes on Knotts boardwalk for a while and have next to no idea what it looks like, soooo How can you say it's questionable when you don't even know what Knotts boardwalk looks like?

At any rate, Disney will always win up against Knotts. Knotts is a fun cute little place but it will never match Disneyland Resort.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

So a few posts ago you said it was "questionable" if PP was better than Knotts boardwalk, NOW your saying that you haven't laid eyes on Knotts boardwalk for a while and have next to no idea what it looks like, soooo How can you say it's questionable when you don't even know what Knotts boardwalk looks like?

At any rate, Disney will always win up against Knotts. Knotts is a fun cute little place but it will never match Disneyland Resort.
    Questionable: meaning up for debate. A matter of opinion. A question of taste.

And as DisneyIPresume pointed out: I'm talking about the new remodeled Boardwalk at Knott's, which I've seen images of, which made me wonder if their new improved Boardwalk is more realistic ocean themed experience.

I think your statement: "Disney will always win up against Knotts" says it all, thank you for contributing your thoughts to the discussion.

Maybe we should throw up a POLL.

• Senior Minion

PP definitely has its problems, it really bothers me because it could be such a cool land if they actually fully carried out the new vision. But I do think it was meant to feel like a bay and not a lake, they just didn't do a good enough job of carrying out that vision.

I've always thought that the idea of PP was that the actual pier was supposed to be basically the south side of the water and we're supposed to imagine that there is open ocean to the South beyond Screamin' with a coast that continues parallel to the parade building and the new cliffs on the back side of RSR. The East side is partially a pier as well, over what seems to be a small inlet, with the bridge that connects to the land which is the boardwalk along the beach. Then the North side continues as the boardwalk which curves around to an imaginary point out behind Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta.

The problem is that to really make this illusion work you'd need to really be able to believe that there's open ocean beyond Screamin'. To make that at all possible, you'd need to completely block the visual intrusion of the Convention center and power line towers that are still visible. Then I think you'd need to also extend the area near Mickey's Fun Wheel further into the bay over posts to complete the illusion of being a pier. Then I think there needs to be some kind of water visible on the South side of Screamin' Adding an inlet near the parade gate and SSS with a bridge over the water and a pond that wraps around and out of sight would help complete the illusion a lot. The final step would be some fake ships, ship's masts and smoke stacks back there.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• At the bottom

In my opinion. The combination of the Cove Bar and California Screamin is better than anything the berry farm has to offer.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast