View Poll Results: Who creates a believable pier / boardwalk ?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • DCA's Paradise Pier is like the real thing

13 36.11%
  • Knott's makes me feel like I'm at the beach

3 8.33%
  • Neither, but I give the edge to Disney

19 52.78%
  • Neither, but I'll go with Knott's

0 0%
  • They're about equal

1 2.78%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

• Minion

Re: Knott's Boardwalk vs. Disney California Adventure's Paradise Pier

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Why is Paradise Pier so sacred? One can easily say there's a lot of hate on these boards towards Knotts and in this case the Boatdwalk.

Knotts doesn't have one of the world's largest media/entertainment companies backing it up. So what they do needs to be respected. IMO they did a good job in making a convincing boardwalk area considering the support and backing that they had. In fact when you look at it that way Disney could have built a pier that was totally convincing but they didn't. Sure they put in a ton of rides but it still feels like a bunch of rides surrounding a huge swimming pool. Compared to Knotts, which is giving at least an equally accurate representation, considering the limited resources it has to do so -- just think if it had the resources Disney has.

I wish people on these boards would respect Knotts a bit more than they do -- without Knotts imo DL would have failed or at least been not as successful. Walt Disney and Walter Knotts were good friends. Walt Disney consulted with Walter Knott when he was building Disneyland. And Walt Disney helped Walter Knott build the Calico Mine Ride (in fact design elements of the Calico Mine Ride can be seen in POTC). IMO to be a true Disney fan is to be a true Knotts fan. Sorry if that sounds elitist but its just my opinion.
    i agree to an extent about knotts and disney hand in hand concept....however it's been years (too long) since Walter and Walt hand a say in their parks. With that said I think disney does a better job with execution, theme, atmosphere and family entertainment. Rides is fifty fifty with the two but with cedars influence there hasn't been a great themed ride in a while. Disney destroyed dca and if it was pp 1.0 against boardwalk I think it would be closer. But with pp2.0 you have a clean finish over a giant land that's even better at night. The rides are better at pp and at the end I believe the finish will be better at pp.

the whole who has a better walk or pier. I think both don't come close to capturing the idea but taken for what they are my nod goes to the cleaner look, better entertainment, and more options at rides that Walter and Walt were known for.
    "I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I have ever known."-Walt Disney

Hope I was helpful!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Why is Paradise Pier so sacred? One can easily say there's a lot of hate on these boards towards Knotts and in this case the Boardwalk.

Knotts doesn't have one of the world's largest media/entertainment companies backing it up. So what they do needs to be respected. IMO they did a good job in making a convincing boardwalk area considering the support and backing that they had. In fact when you look at it that way Disney could have built a pier that was totally convincing but they didn't. Sure they put in a ton of rides but it still feels like a bunch of rides surrounding a huge swimming pool. Compared to Knotts, which is giving at least an equally accurate representation, considering the limited resources it has to do so -- just think if it had the resources Disney has.

I wish people on these boards would respect Knotts a bit more than they do -- without Knotts imo DL would have failed or at least been not as successful. Walt Disney and Walter Knotts were good friends. Walt Disney consulted with Walter Knott when he was building Disneyland. And Walt Disney helped Walter Knott build the Calico Mine Ride (in fact design elements of the Calico Mine Ride can be seen in POTC). IMO to be a true Disney fan is to be a true Knotts fan. Sorry if that sounds elitist but its just my opinion.
    The only thing I'll add is the swimming pool has a retractable platform covering most of the surface that never submerges underwater, instead of the wave machines that were originally installed to give the illusion of seawater swishing around.

That said, I'm not sure if I should praise your enthusiasm for Disney and Knott's history or ask if it clouds your judgment as to what level of quality is in their product TODAY.

So I'll respectfully do both.

Interesting thread, everyone, I am enjoying hearing everyone's different points of view. I think both parks have room for improvement if they want to operate seaside amusements just miles away from the actual beaches and piers of Southern California.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by d.N.d. View Post
    i agree to an extent about knotts and disney hand in hand concept....however it's been years (too long) since Walter and Walt hand a say in their parks. With that said I think disney does a better job with execution, theme, atmosphere and family entertainment. Rides is fifty fifty with the two but with cedars influence there hasn't been a great themed ride in a while. Disney destroyed dca and if it was pp 1.0 against boardwalk I think it would be closer. But with pp2.0 you have a clean finish over a giant land that's even better at night. The rides are better at pp and at the end I believe the finish will be better at pp.

the whole who has a better walk or pier. I think both don't come close to capturing the idea but taken for what they are my nod goes to the cleaner look, better entertainment, and more options at rides that Walter and Walt were known for.
    Good post, but is that a vote for "neither"?

• Minion

Without a giant ocean it's hard to say, considering they both surround a body of water instead of the water surrounding it.

However if you take them for what they are I pick disneys. With my disney family, mermaid, goofy, toy story, woc, and my fav the zephyrs plus the others offer more and since the refurb its not such a confusing weird eye sore now it's a pretty confusing land.
    "I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I have ever known."-Walt Disney

Hope I was helpful!

• Sock Puppet

Why is Paradise Pier so sacred? One can easily say there's a lot of hate on these boards towards Knotts and in this case the Boatdwalk.

So because Walt and Mr. Knotts were friends then that means we should respect and love the modern day Knotts? Look, I respect the history that these 2 men had, but the Knotts of today is a product of Cedar Fair, its a notch above a Six Flags park. Im sorry but I love THEME parks, amusement/carny parks are not my thing. Knotts has made a decision to go the Six Flags route, which is fine, but as a THEME park fan I do not care for that type of place. So yes, the history of Walt and Knotts is great and should be respected, BUT the current Knotts is a shell of its former self and really does not hold a candle to Disneyland/DCA.
    Last edited by NineteenTwenty8; 05-24-2013 at 01:49 PM.

• Goofy

well said dip. no doubt about that disney would not have been successful with out knotts as first theme park.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Checking in, "Neither/Edge to Disney" seems to have won a plush prize!

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    OK kids, everyone can get in the poll.
    <-- Voted: Both don't make the cut, but give the edge to Disney

(Now, I have not looked at one picture of Knott's new boardwalk. But I give DCA the edge primarily because they got 2 dark rides. Knott's has - zero. And I hope that changes in the future.)
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

To be fair, Knott's doesn't kill it either. But both places miss the mark at recreating seaside amusements.

• Minion

I think Paradise Pier is one of the best themed areas of DCA. I love the atmosphere, the music, and of course the lagoon. Knotts boardwalk is just concrete with themed sinage, the little water that have is sad. Some people on Micechat are never going to be happy with Paradise Pier unless its ripped out all together, this will never happen so let's move on please...
    Jeff Wayne

• I'm a Lutheran

Quote Originally Posted by NineteenTwenty8 View Post
    So because Walt and Mr. Knotts were friends then that means we should respect and love the modern day Knotts? Look, I respect the history that these 2 men had, but the Knotts of today is a product of Cedar Fair, its a notch above a Six Flags park. Im sorry but I love THEME parks, amusement/carny parks are not my thing. Knotts has made a decision to go the Six Flags route, which is fine, but as a THEME park fan I do not care for that type of place. So yes, the history of Walt and Knotts is great and should be respected, BUT the current Knotts is a shell of its former self and really does not hold a candle to Disneyland/DCA.
    Knott's may have giant, ugly thrill rides everywhere, but despite all that, the theme is still there... although not as prominent as it used to be. Even if not there in its entirety, the Ghost Town still remains, as does the Mystery Lodge, the Calico Mine Train, and the Timber Mountain Log Ride. Heck, the park just spent millions refurbishing it. It's a miracle they didn't destroy it and use the money to make a new coaster!
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

• I am number 4 of 999

Still no pictures? From what I can tell from press photos, the pools of water around the rides literally look like backyard pools. I wish I could find a picture of the lining of the bottom of the water areas, but it certainly doesn't look like the beach, or ocean water.
    It's actually "Cars Land", not "Carsland".

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

I say neither...DCA needs to get waves machines and make the pier smell like a beach to help the illusion

• Circle of Ancients

Got my first look at the new Boardwalk at Knott's yesterday and it looks GREAT. It's not just the 3 rides as Boomerang and Riptide blend seamlessly into the new land.

As for which one is better, the fact that Paradise Pier has the water and Screamin and the Sun Wheel means it gets the edge. I know TSMM is there, but it doesn't add any kinetic energy to the Pier so it doesn't help the theme at all.

The Knott's Boardwalk has a LOT of great energy, lots of moving parts and it's very exciting. A definite improvement.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345