Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Candlelight 2013 Returns to Normal

Okay so how many times did they show it last year?

Personally, I'm looking forward to getting the chance to see the East Coast version at Epcot this year, after seeing it many times at the Disneyland Resort. But the CP is one of many holiday celebrations I'm looking forward to.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

• Disney Fan 4 Life

They did the show what, 20 days at 2 performances a day last year. Seemed like a lot and at the time it was speculated that they were looking to turn it into a paid for experience this year, along with most of the holiday items (parade, fireworks, etc). I really hope that turns out to be wrong.

We had Kurt Rusell as the narrator last year with our first Christmas visit as a family. It was very moving and beautiful. To be honest we were surprised at how religious they went with it (considering it is Disney) and found it really was worth the time and energy it took to attend. It also didn't hurt that we were seated just below the podium and had an up close and personal viewing of Rusell during the reading.
    Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy.

“To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.” - Walt Disney, Disneyland Opening Day Speech 1955

View my new Budget Disney Blog here: http://budgetdisneylandresort.blogspot.com/

I still remember the year that I went to see it and Louis Gossett Jr was supposed to be the narrator but became ill with a bad case of food poisoning. Fortunately they had Marie Osmand on property doing her doll signing and she filled in, both days.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

Fantastic news! Though this performance has always been a tradition for my family last years Candlelight was a logistical nightmare! For many nights cast members of all ranks were not completely informed about lining-up, how to get tickets, show times and even the celebrity etc. Perhaps those cast members were just temporary employees? Anyways, we are looking forward to enjoying the Candlelight this year.

• Buena Vista St. & Red Car

Thank goodness! Last year was an absolute nightmare anywhere near Main Street during that time. My family takes an annual trip every Christmas season and our experience trying to get to Carnation Cafe for our dinner reservations was a unanimous consensus as one of our worst experiences ever at DL.

• Candlelight Caroler

Glad to hear so many fond memories of the event. It's been a part of my life on and off since 1998, so as long as it sticks around I'm good. Funny enough, I'm not a show or parade person in the park normally, but it's easy to get caught up in Candlelight, no matter who you are or what you believe. Love it.

Honestly, I think they beat a dead horse last year by showing the ceremony SO MUCH! 20 nights with 2 performances each night was overkill, I would've done at most a one week run (7 days, 1 performance on weekdays and 2 performances on weekends with the more popular hosts for the weekend). But glad to see it will only be two days and it's gone. It isn't as amazing if everyone gets to experience it. It just becomes another entertainment offering that plugs up Main Street.

Even with the traffic nightmare that it causes on Main Street, doesn't multiple nights & multiple views give many people many chances to view it, as well as multiple choirs the chance to perform? Because I can't imagine them using the same couple sets of choirs for every single performance across a few weeks.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by stitchfanocala View Post
    Even with the traffic nightmare that it causes on Main Street, doesn't multiple nights & multiple views give many people many chances to view it, as well as multiple choirs the chance to perform? Because I can't imagine them using the same couple sets of choirs for every single performance across a few weeks.
    IIRC that was actually one of the negative issues that arose last year - the CM volunteer choir was now supposed to "volunteer" for 20 nights instead of two. I don't know how they worked that out...
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Fireworks Finatic!

Hopefully this is not another sign of the private Christmas parties coming.. Hard to have 20 straight nights of Candlelight if the park closes early for a private party..

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by AaronInCal View Post
    Hopefully this is not another sign of the private Christmas parties coming.. Hard to have 20 straight nights of Candlelight if the park closes early for a private party..
    I wouldn't be surprised if that's exactly what it's about.

"Here you leave today
    and enter the world of
    upcharges, upcharges,
    and more upcharges."

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• #bringevilback

Quote Originally Posted by AaronInCal View Post
    Unless that was part of the party. I'm thinking with the news of it just being two nights then we won't see a ticketed party this year.

Thanks for sharing the letter.

Many years ago, Dick Van Dyke was invited to be a guest at King Island Amusement Park in Cincinnati Ohio. The park talked to me about doing strolling magic for the banquet Dick would be attending. The person in charge of the banquet said they had heard many great things about me and had seen me performing on T. V. They said we need to ask you one question,

Did you know Dick Vandyke is into "real magic"? Can you handle someone at that level?
    I said I believe I can.

The thing that got me was their statement that they knew he was into "real magic". Has anyone else heard anything like that?

• ..but you can call me Pam

Why not compromise and do two weekends with four shows each weekend? That way more people can see it, but it's not overkill.

Quote Originally Posted by 7.17.55 View Post
    Why not compromise and do two weekends with four shows each weekend? That way more people can see it, but it's not overkill.
    Ask the Epcot cast members that question. And see what kind of a response you get.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast