20,000 Leagues Under The Sea...

With the remake of 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea coming to theaters in 2014/15.... should Disneyland re-brand the Finding Nemo submarines with the 20,000 Leagues theme?
    Last edited by Korboko; 05-20-2013 at 09:31 PM.

• Senior Minion

Re: 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea...

No, I don't think so. I'd rather see the existing ride either remodeled completely to be more futuristic or removed. I don't think 20,000 Leagues fits Tomorrowland much better then Finding Nemo does. Just because they put it in at WDW doesn't mean it really fits.

With Nemo, they could have bade it better by creating a new story which made Nemo grown-up so it felt set in the future. Or they could have used Nemo to tell us about the Oceans and the importance of protecting them in the future. Unfortunately, they didn't do anything interesting.

But the real question is, would Disney do so? Nemo probably sells more merchandise than 20,000 Leagues will, so, probably not.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Disneyland 19 year APH

I think that would be a yes. I would not want to see a major rip out of Nemo but you could married those ideas together. I do love seeing a pov of the original ride, how much it compares to the current attraction. I think that it would be great to maybe focus on more futuristic themes will sticking with Nemo and gang as your guide.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    I don't think 20,000 Leagues fits Tomorrowland much better then Finding Nemo does. Just because they put it in at WDW doesn't mean it really fits.
    It wasn't in Tomorrowland at Disney World. Their subs were in Fantasyland.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• formerly very helpful

As much as I'd prefer 20,000 Leagues to Nemo, I'd really hate to see them start changing attractions more than they already do, simply because a new movie is out. So my answer to this would actually be no. However, if Imagineering came up with a better attraction that would be more enjoyable than what they have there now, then by all means, go for it.

• No Disassemble!

It may just be a rumor but I thought that the subs & Autopia were going to be ripped out to make room for new attractions?

I would however like to see a walk through attraction (like the one in DL Paris) in Anaheim.
    Many Bothans died to bring you these fastpasses.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

I just don't see why they can't reinvent the original concept which is loosely based on the movie but not directly tied. Focus on the exploration aspect and unknown sea creatures of the ocean.

Much as I hate saying this, I think it's time for them to stop being cheap and just make new full fledged submarines that have better viewing ports, more space, and possibly additional special effects/movement capability. That may be impossible though because of their modifications which included converting the majority of the attraction to dry boxes, there's a width limitation.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 05-21-2013 at 08:51 AM.

I like Nemo and I really doubt they will make any real changes to it over the next decade or so. But, here is my crazy blue sky suggestion. Change half the ride to 20,000 Leagues. Maybe they would have force head phones on you but that's the only problem I see.
    "Nice work, pal"

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
    I like Nemo and I really doubt they will make any real changes to it over the next decade or so. But, here is my crazy blue sky suggestion. Change half the ride to 20,000 Leagues. Maybe they would have force head phones on you but that's the only problem I see.
    No thanks. I can't guarantee how often those headphones would be cleaned.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Mrs. J. Depp

I think Disney should get in the business of doing revolving rides/attractions. Outfitting a certain ride to be changed or with a quick overlay rather than permanently instating a ride like the subs to be focused on ONE particular thing without room for any inexpensive or drastic change. This could work on several ride types and they've already done this on Pirates, Pirates Lair, and HMH. But the key to this would be to actually have 2 separate attractions in one and easily be able to switch them out. I've given it serious thought because I've seen how quickly a new ride will "tank" and people will already want something new.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Down Pluto!

As much as it pains me to say so - Yes. Yes I would. If it was a return to an adventure-based attraction rather than just reliving a film.

But that is nearly impossible for Disney to do these days...

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• The Steampunk Dread Baron

Maybe they could rework the old audio from the WDW version using the new Captain Nemo as narrator

The fountain of youth really is in Florida... thats why they built Walt Disney World where they did.

• Mrs. J. Depp

See I'd love if they could bring back retro attractions as a limited time deal or something. It's hard to say what will last and what will not these days.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Mashup time: The Seas With Captain Nemo and Friends

The subs are low capacity and extremely expensive. This is one of my all-time favorite Disneyland rides. I'm a scuba diver today in-part due to the magic that this ride created for me when I was young. 20,000 leagues is also one of my all-time favorite adventure movies. Would I like to see the subs rethemed? Sure, but the cost would be astronomical. Most people don't realize but keeping all that fresh water clean is like taking care of 100 swimming pools - read very expensive. So ultimately I just want to keep my subs in the park. They're the only ones in the world like them. Don't like the narrow spaces onboard? Cut back on the churros and ice-cream! I wanna keep my subs! I miss the subs the way they were too - would rather see them in their original navy grey paint scheme.