Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Senior Minion

Could the Future of Tomorrowland be "Tomorrowland"?

As many of you probably already know, a Tomorrowland film is in the works. Blue Sky Disney Blog had and interesting article yesterday noting an interview with Damon Lindelof, the author of the upcoming film. I found his quote a little disturbing as I found his idea that his kid thinking that PoTC the attraction came from the film being a good thing showed a lack of appreciation for Imagineering. I also found his description of loving Tomorrowland, but thinking it needs a definitive story seems contradictory. If you liked it without a definitive story, why does it need one now? However, I agree with his assertion that filling TL with Star Wars is not a good solution.

Now the new Miceage article out today is implying that Tron is being dropped from the new TL attraction, which is a rumor I've now heard from several sources. Which got me thinking, might the new ride to follow the People Mover tracks be based on a vehicle from the upcoming film? It would be somewhat unusual to green light an attraction based on a film so early in development. But the film does have a few things going for it; great director and star and seemingly a lot of backing already from Disney and it's based on something that's already in the park. They might be willing to go that direction early as it should obviously fit the land well despite the risk that the film may not be a huge hit.

So what do you think? Might the new TL film inspire the new ride for TL and would you be excited or negative about that? What do you think of the quote from the director and what do you think it implies about the film and the possibility for future attractions?

Here's a link to the article on Blue Sky Disney: Blue Sky Disney: Giving Tomorrow A Past...

And here's the quote from Damon Lindelof:
    I’ve always been fascinated by Disneyland and Disney World, and my favorite part of the park was always Tomorrowland. But there’s no story there. Like, if you go into Fantasyland, there’s just story happening all around you everywhere, whether it’s sort of a direct kind of connection to a movie that you know or a fairy tale that you know, and the same with, like, Frontierland, or when you go in the Haunted Mansion. My son, who’s 6, when he went on Pirates of the Caribbean for the first time, Jack Sparrow is a part of that ride. He’s going to see the movies in two years, when he’s old enough, and he’s going to think that the movies were the inspiration for the ride, versus the other way around. I would love to do that for Tomorrowland, you know? I would love to give Tomorrowland a story, because right now, Tomorrowland is kind of being taken over by Star Wars — which is great, but it’s called Tomorrowland. Star Wars is a galaxy a long time ago, far, far away. Star Wars is not about our future.
    And there’s this Neil deGrasse Tyson speech — you can YouTube it — and he gave an eloquent and beautiful talk about how the abandonment of the space program after we landed on the moon is responsible for the fact that we no longer have an optimistic view of our future. I just said, “There’s a movie in there somewhere.” And that was the beginning of me curating this rather fascinating “is it or isn’t it?” Disney history in this kind of Dan Brown, Da Vinci Code way. Like, all these things that I didn’t know about, the history of Tomorrowland in the park, and could that be the basis of something? Even though the movie is not about the park — I will say this exclusively to you, that none of the movie takes place in a Disneyland park. It doesn’t, but that history became the inspiration for this amazing story. I brought Jeff Jensen in, who had come up with all these amazing theories about Lost while it was on, some of which were just so much better than what we were coming up with in the room. I said, “Come in and look at this stuff and talk to me about it,” and then we started coming up with the germs of a really cool story, and then at the same time, I was hanging out with Bird, because we were both in the Bad Robot universe; he was posting Ghost Protocol as we were working on Into Darkness. I kind of got my hooks in him because I started asking him all these questions about Disney, because he worked there for a number of years and was basically trained by a couple of the original Imagineers, and he was like, “Why are you asking me these questions?” and I said, “I’m working on this project regarding Tomorrowland,” and then he was in. And then we went and picked up George Clooney, and we were off to the races.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Minion

Re: Could the Future of Tomorrowland be "Tomorrowland"?

I thought the article was saying that both Tron and Monsters inc are finalized
    The plan to turn the sleepy northern half of DCA’s Hollywood Land into Monstropolis with a thrill-ride Door Coaster as the featured E Ticket attraction is still moving ahead quickly. At the same time, the other new thrill ride using the ride system once planned for a Tron-themed Lightcycle coaster on the PeopleMover track is also finishing up design work. It’s no longer “if” on these two new E Ticket attractions, it’s “when
    I read the blue sky disney article a while ago, and I agree. I found his thoughts on Potc very strange, but then he redeemed himself with his thoughts on the Star Wars tomorrowland invasion lol. Honestly, if its a good film and worthy of an attraction I wouldn't mind, but I don't want it to become Tomorrowland the movie by Damon Lindelof the land

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by imaginashton View Post

The plan to turn the sleepy northern half of DCA’s Hollywood Land into Monstropolis with a thrill-ride Door Coaster as the featured E Ticket attraction is still moving ahead quickly. At the same time, the other new thrill ride using the ride system once planned for a Tron-themed Lightcycle coaster on the PeopleMover track is also finishing up design work. It’s no longer “if” on these two new E Ticket attractions, it’s “when
    Where did you get that quote from?
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    Where did you get that quote from?
    Disneyland Resort Monstrous Summer Plans, Tomorrowland Future, Colorful Christmas 6th paragraph

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by imaginashton View Post

I read the blue sky disney article a while ago, and I agree. I found his thoughts on Potc very strange, but then he redeemed himself with his thoughts on the Star Wars tomorrowland invasion lol. Honestly, if its a good film and worthy of an attraction I wouldn't mind, but I don't want it to become Tomorrowland the movie by Damon Lindelof the land
    Note, the quote says, "The ride system Once Planned for a Tron themed Lightcycle Coaster." It certainly sounds to me like an attraction has been green lighted, but the Tron theme is dead.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Heavy Breather

I would think so. I don't think I've ever seen a bad Brad Bird film.

If its a success, the film might inspire a remodel of the land.

• Senior Minion

Never Mind
    Last edited by Uncle Bob; 05-22-2013 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Misread a Post
    -Walt Disney

• Disneyland History Lover

I'm curious if this new lightcycle ride will have a franchise attached to it. Given Disney's track record as of late, it probably will. But it'll be interesting to see what it is. I found it a bit curious that Al did not elaborate on this. I also wonder what is to become of the Iron Man attraction he spoke of sometime back.

As far as the movie goes, I'm a bit skeptical. As a standalone thing I'm sure it'll be alright (good?), but if their goal is to influence what happens in the park, that doesn't seem like a very sound way to ground a film. In fact, it comes across as a bit egotistical.

If the Tron theme is dropped, why use a picture of a light cycle in the article.It would be misleading. A picture of the empty PM track and RJ platform would have been better. I think the Tron theme is staying, there is already two movies out and a third on the way. Why green light a theme when the movie has not come out yet? You don't know if it will be a success or not.
    Murphy,with that neck, is like E.T. in dragon form

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Note, the quote says, "The ride system Once Planned for a Tron themed Lightcycle Coaster." It certainly sounds to me like an attraction has been green lighted, but the Tron theme is dead.
    Ahhh ok, I totally missed that. Thanks for clarifying

There not doing the Star Wars idea any more. A Disney imagineer told me that they are going retro with Tomorrow Land! They are even putting back in the People mover!!!

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Victoria View Post

As far as the movie goes, I'm a bit skeptical. As a standalone thing I'm sure it'll be alright (good?), but if their goal is to influence what happens in the park, that doesn't seem like a very sound way to ground a film. In fact, it comes across as a bit egotistical.
    The sad thing is that they have been doing this for quite some time (since before the beginning of this century). The film industry and theme park industry are separate entities that can inspire each other but should not be used to do the other's work. I highly doubt that Universal only makes movies to advertise their theme park attractions.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Banned User

I think its the other way around. Disney uses its theme park attractions as advertising and for maintaining the popularity of their films.

• A Happy Haunt

Quote Originally Posted by planodisney View Post
    I think its the other way around. Disney uses its theme park attractions as advertising and for maintaining the popularity of their films.

This is true.
    The parks are interactive advertising

• film975

Imagineers toy with several kinds of ideas all the time. That's the beauty part of the Blue Sky stage used during their creative process. There are tons of ideas that are never brought to fruition. But we'll never know for sure what they've got in store for Tomorrowland until official announcements are made. Which I'm hoping they'll do at the next D23 Expo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast