Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

My review of Club 33 – third time’s the . . . charm?

Dinner on 5/18 was going to be the third time we dined in Club 33. We’ve dined once for dinner (just me & DH); one for lunch (with me, DH & DS13) and this dinner was going to be the first time DS19 was going to join us. Our reservation was for 8pm.

After parking at GCA, having drinks at 1901 and walking over to DL, we arrived in New Orleans Square about 7:30 - half an hour early. There were a lot of people around the entrance to the Blue Bayou, even some who were sitting on the ground in front of the Club 33 door. We browsed a few shops, walked around a bit and rang the bell at about 7:50. The hostess came out; and said due to capacity she would seat us at our reservation time & could we please wait. She came back promptly at 8pm and let us in. We took a family picture in front of the elevator; and DH walked up the stairs and I took the elevator with the kids.

We were seated at a table in a corner with access to two of the French doors that opened to the balcony. The table was set so perfect with the big charger plate with a gold 33 in the middle and a fancy schmancy folded napkin. Our server was Alistair was wonderful (until we ordered dessert, which I’ll explain later). I ordered the Vintner 5 course dinner (duck, calamari with lobster bisque, short ribs, cheese and a pear cake dessert-without the wine pairings); DH got Chateaubriand; DS13 got the hangar steak and DS19 got the crab-stuffed lobster.

Club 33 Place Setting

The restaurant was busy and nearly every table was occupied. Now that I’ve been here a few times, I’ve noticed that people do get loud here – they’re having wine, or their favorite beverage, many are celebrating special occasions like birthdays and anniversaries and people are happy. One louder table near us was a party of 5 and they were laughing about trips to Mexico and what happened there stayed there.

Our food was wonderful. DS19 said the crab with his lobster was amazing. My second course came with what I thought was a soup – the menu mentioned calamari and lobster bisque; but what I got was about 6 pieces of calamari, and a bit of bisque that you could pour over or use as a dipping sauce. It was good but I thought the menu, or the waiter, could have explained it better. Also, when we ordered dessert, that’s when we learned that the courses on the Vintner 5 course menu could be ordered separately. Our server Alistair should have said that when he was explaining the menu before we ordered.

When Fantasmic started, I did go outside but it was hard to see. The kids did make one trip outside and took pics of each other. We had two of the French doors to use to get out on the balcony, so it was easy access.

There are chairs and settees near the service bar area and when I made a trip to the ladies room I noticed about 6 – 8 people milling about, some seated, some standing, all with cocktails. I guess they were waiting for a table to be ready. I always thought the bar could only serve those who were seated for dinner but clearly, this group was having drinks before dinner.

By the time our dessert was served it was closer to 10 pm and the dining room was clearing out and bussers were clearing dishes and re-setting tables. And here’s where the evening got weird. A busser came to our table and began to clear our dessert dishes; and his back was to the loud party of 5 mentioned earlier but my back was to the French doors and I had a full view of what happened next.

One of the people at the party of 5 table stood up, turned around, left their table, walked to a table that had been re-set, picked up one of the big charger plates with the gold 33 in the middle with one hand, picked up the fancy napkin and put it where the plate had been with the other hand, and walked back to her seat with the plate.

Yep, she stole it.

Just like that.

I was dumbfounded. Stunned. Flabbergasted. Astounded that someone would DARE to steal something at Club 33, let alone this GIANT PIECE OF CHINA. All I could say was OMG that woman just took that plate.

Now, the busser was still picking up our dessert dishes. The culprit had evidently waited until he passed their table, then made her move while his back was to their table. He heard what I said, and said to me Did you just say you saw a guest take something?

I said yes, that woman at that table has one of your charger plates on her lap. By now the others at the table were giggling and one of them said Now you’ve got yourself a souvenir. The busser must have heard them.

He said Do you mean our under plates? I said yes, the big one you take away when you bring the appetizer. (I call it a charger. I have a set of inexpensive gold ones from Costco, and the box they came in said set of 8 chargers. So that’s what I call them.) He asked me which seat the culprit was at, and left with our dishes.

By now DS13 was just apoplectic that this woman had stole the plate; and wanted me to confront the culprit and I said no, I’m not going to do that; someone who works here knows what the issue is and they can choose how to respond. I thought I gave him an appropriate response. No way was I going to confront anyone! But I was furious. Club 33 is a nice pace! I had no idea if these people were members, or guests of members. Regardless, why would you steal anything from Club 33, let alone a huge decorative plate? If you’re a member, you risk getting kicked out. If you’re a guest, you risk getting your host kicked out! Plus, you risk getting caught and arrested for theft. They give you the ink pen when you sign, and you can take all the bathroom paper towels, swizzle sticks and chocolates they bring with your bill that you want, plus there’s merchandise to buy for souvenirs. From reading these message boards, Disney does not mess around with shoplifters or people who steal. They have a lock-up on site at DL and will call the Anaheim PD and have you arrested. This woman was crazy, inebriated, or both.

Then, the culprit left her table with the plate; and when she came back, she was with one of the men who had been at her table. I hadn’t noticed him leave the table; and he was carrying a gift bag – as if they had celebrated a birthday, and someone had brought a present in their own gift bag. It was large and easily could have held the stolen plate. Somehow, they had likely (allegedly?) transferred the plate to the gift bag. She picked up her handbag and they all quickly left their table.

Our server Alistair came with our bill and said I understand you’ve seen some excitement tonight! I said yes I have. Good - our busser had already spread the word. A few minutes later, a hostess CM came over and asked me what I saw and I repeated what I said to the busser. Good -if they want my statement, then they are doing something. We paid our bill; lingered a bit and then left our table. Other than this crazy woman stealing china, it had been a lovely evening.

As we walked past the bar, the party of 5 was grouped around a CM near the harpsichord who was speaking about the instrument. The hostess who had spoken to me was standing nearby; and there were other CMs milling about. It appeared they were trying to stall these people. We stopped to buy something from the merchandise display case; and DS13 and DS19 left to ride the Haunted Mansion. They told us later when they walked past the hostess downstairs, she was on the telephone and they heard her ask for Security Dispatch. After we purchased our items and exited, there was a security CM downstairs with the hostess. Good. Somehow there will be consequences for these people. Oh, how I wish I knew what happened after we left!!!

Anybody work at Club 33?
    Last edited by Beeper; 05-22-2013 at 09:04 PM.

• Selfie Expert

Re: My review of Club 33 – third time’s the . . . charm?

Wow!! It's unbelieveable what people will do these days. Complete disrespect.

I'm glad you had an otherwise enjoyable meal it sounds like!

I must say, I do wish they would sell the plates as souvenirs. I would love to have one hanging in my home!

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Minion

My understanding, it was a rough weekend at the Club. The theft you witnessed, on Sunday, inebriated guests broke windows.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• i believe in faeries.

that is infuriating. dining at 33 is a privilege, which most people (without connections) will never be able to do. i wouldn't even think about swiping a fork at denny's, much less club 33! i'm glad you said something.

• Familymemories

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    My understanding, it was a rough weekend at the Club. The theft you witnessed, on Sunday, inebriated guests broke windows.
    Don't these people realize that having a club 33 membership is a privilege ?? My husband and I would love to have the opportunity to get a membership. We don't have the finances to even fill out the application. All those people should lose their memberships. That's just my opinion.
    Vintage Jewelry Converted Into Wearable Pieces Visit My Etsy Shop3 Kid Crop Shop

• Annual Passholder

Family-
    More likely than not they were guests of members, not members. Hopefully the members who made the reservations will get a talking to. Behavior like this is why its so hard for non-members to get in. Most members don't want to take a chance on someone they don't personally know. Thankfully I know a member, but they won't make reservations for any of my friends or family to dine unless I'm there too. They have a no friends of friends policy because its not worth risking their membership.

• Annual Passholder

Beeper-
    Kudos to you for reporting it, but not confronting them. Too many people wouldn't get involved these days.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by familymemories View Post
    Don't these people realize that having a club 33 membership is a privilege ?? My husband and I would love to have the opportunity to get a membership. We don't have the finances to even fill out the application. All those people should lose their memberships. That's just my opinion.
    I agree with AdamG2. These were not members. They were guests of members. So, when someone makes their first post on Mice Chat a request to go to the club, this should be the first thing they are shown. Why should a member risk their membership over something like this.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Disney Fan 4 Life

I cannot imagine stealing from anyplace, much less Club 33. You can take pictures of anything for a souvenir. From the sound if it, the person who stole got what they had coming.

I know my husband and I hope to one day have the ability to at least partake once in the amazing experience that one can have there. I have to admit to a little jealousy that the OP has managed to have that good luck 3 times!
    Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy.

“To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.” - Walt Disney, Disneyland Opening Day Speech 1955

View my new Budget Disney Blog here: http://budgetdisneylandresort.blogspot.com/

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Not surprising. When I was a kid and went to Club 33 it was an exclusive class act. Now that everyone and their grandmother knows about the place people consider it just another dining establishment. An alternative to eating at the Pizza Port. You all have no clue what it was like back in the day.

Thanks for the great Review!

I agree also about dress code too, but there's a balance. I'm not going to disneyland in a full suit and tie because that's just weird, and if you're enjoying the park; you can't expect ppl to bring a full suit and tie to change. For myself I at least get a polo or nice dress shirt on when I go. (no jeans, though I've never seen anyone kicked out for it)

You know in all honesty, I've been to the club a couple of times. I freaked the hell out the first time I went. However, can we please just agree the food is extremely uninspired? It's straight off a catering menu of sorts. Soup to start, with an entree of fish chicken or steak. Going to the club is about the history, but the food isn't OMG BEST FOOD EVER! food. It's not bad, but it's nothing special. Napa Rose and other restaurants around have better menus.

If you have the chance to dine there, I strongly encourage going for Sunday brunch, the buffet is amazingly stacked with foods and desserts. I've been there for dinner, but the view blocks Fantasmic and Fireworks (big fantasmic fan)

I certainly hope that if they are members their membership is revoked (and one of the party could be members; money doesn't buy class) or that if they were "guests" the member who sponsored them had their guest privileges suspended for a time. People like this are the ones who spoil it for everyone else.

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

There also should be a way to go after people on E-Bay for fencing stolen goods. I have seen stuff on there from time to time that you know Club 33 didn't give them in a goodie bag on their way out.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• Chief Troublemaker

Just unbelievable! Wow. Kudos to OP for reporting it and to the C33 staff for handling it in such a way as to not disrupt other diners or allow the 'perp' to create a scene!

When the '2 crazy girls' went back in February, we were in full-on 'pinky-extended' Sunday Dinner manners mode. We were fully aware that we were being afforded a rare privilege by our sponsor, and that our sponsor was placing an unbelievable amount of trust in us by allowing us to dine without him/her, since our mutual schedules didn't permit our sponsor to dine with us. We fully understood that our sponsor's reputation and possibly their membership was squarely on the line. I can remember thinking at the time that no-one would ever disrespect C33 or their sponsor by being on anything less than their best behavior! Wow, guess I was wrong!

And the sad part is that now, even if they wanted to, no member will ever want to trust any one again. And there will be people, responsible people, who will miss out on a once in a lifetime opportunity just because of the actions of a few stupid, ignorant people!
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Disney "Colorful"

That is just unfortunate, myself and my husband were graciously allowed to dine their last year for our wedding anniversary. We dressed up as business casual and were on our best behavior, would not dream doing anything that would negatively affect the member who allowed us to place a reservation at Club 33. I could not imagine stealing anything or even getting drunk and breaking a window (even if by accident!).

Wow, I would not be surprised if new restrictions come in play for guest of member’s reservation.

Web-hosting: 3dxhosting.com | Blog: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr | Facebook: Cakvala

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast