Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• Banned User

Re: Could a "Disneyland" be built today?

Taggart: The example of Fantawild is nice, but what's Disney's excuse with its own Studios park and Animal Kingdom? Nothing original here. I used the word Zombie-like and I stand by it. While I don't dispute that major US design companies are doing the most high profile projects and the US has the expertise and talent, the client dictates what they want, which influences the design aesthetic. I expect the technology and contractors are locally based.

China is doing unique things with theme parks. You have to look at the Macau area and see how they attempt something better. It takes time, money, and experience. China will learn from its mistakes and it is likely Disney will do the same. Look at the original Hong Kong Disneyland. What a moronic mistake of a first Disney Park in China. Certainly it is being fixed. Hong Kong is now not borrowing from Disney in its new entertainment centers.
    Last edited by StevenW; 05-30-2013 at 09:52 AM.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    I didn't say another Dinseyland isn't possible, I'm saying to be a new Disneyland today, it can't just be another copy of Disneyland. Another Disneyland is possible, but to create a new Disneyland you'd have to be as original and bold as Walt and his original Imagineers.
    Exactly right. A "Disneyland" built today would need to be for 2013 what the original Disneyland was for 1955 -- as innovate, original and imaginative compared to what else exists today as the original Disneyland was compared to what else existed in 1955.

I think we all tend to forget, from our perspective as frequent visitors, how revolutionary Disneyland was for its time. We forget that everyone was talking about it and everyone wanted to visit it, from kids in Kansas to kings of foreign countries. We forget that it wasn't just popular, it wasn't just in the news, it was a worldwide phenomenon.

Achieving the same phenomenon for our time that Walt and WED did for their time is what would define "building a Disneyland today."
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 05-30-2013 at 12:23 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Disneyland Dreamin'

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Achieving the same phenomenon for our time that Walt and WED did for their time is what would define "building a Disneyland today."
    This is exactly the thought behind the question. Can the phenomenon happen again and what would it look like?

I have seen some theories from new IP's to video games and virtual reality a la Westworld or DreamPark as a basis for a new experience. I think it can and will be done again. We are just not there yet.

I was looking at the theme park in Spain -- Alhama de Murcia, I think it is, which sounds completely generic except for having a Star Trek franchise. It doesn't sound like any place I'd want to visit...

What Walt did wasn't just a mouse or a cartoon or a theme park -- it was all of it, all together. Has there ever been anyone like him?
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

• Co-Host of USWP

Quote Originally Posted by Beeper View Post
    Yes. I'd compare it to IOA in Florida. This park was in the works beginning in 1991 and opened in 1999. Over $2 billion was invested. It's an amazing park and 14 years later the Spiderman ride is still state of the art. But any new theme park would need to raise the bar, like IOA did. When Disneyland was new, beach boardwalk parks were his competition and Walt did it better. Any new park would have to do it better, smarter and more awesome that what's already here. It takes money and determination and the ability to disregard what something costs to make it they way they want it to be. Disney's name was on the door and he called the shots. Can anyone in the entertainment industry do that today?
    Having just freshly come from there, I'd have to agree completely. The attention to detail in IOA is nothing short of phenomenal. I was blown away at just how immersive the experience was. Not to mention, with the coming addition of Diagon Alley IOA will soon become dominated again by Potter fever!

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SaabR View Post
    I have seen some theories from new IP's to video games and virtual reality a la Westworld or DreamPark as a basis for a new experience. I think it can and will be done again. We are just not there yet.
    I really like the Westworld concept (without the Yul Brenner deathbot). The idea of a completely immersive experience instead of a series of rides would be a "nextGen" advance that could make it a phenomenon like Disneyland was in its time. It would have to be extremely well done, would take an amzing tech advance and R&D team, and investors with ample funds. Impossible? probably not. Improbable? I'd say so right now.

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

• Self Congratulative

Ok, so the question was originally asked "will another Disneyland ever be built again?"

If you're speaking of an immersive theme park experience that has revolutionary technology and stories as its basis, then yes, many have already been built and many more are currently in development. Singapore, China, Russia, all have examples of this. It probably won't happen in the US again for a while because... well, there aren't any cheap orange groves next to metropolitan cities anymore.

If you're speaking of a world-phenomenon destination that is so entirely different than anything people have seen, so much so that it becomes a new genre in its on right, then you have to change your frame of reference. It's not going to be a theme park! Because, by your very own definitions, theme parks have already been done, and no amount of innovation, technology, media, will ever change the fact that at its core, a new theme park would be the evolution of a precedent.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Exactly right. A "Disneyland" built today would need to be for 2013 what the original Disneyland was for 1955 -- as innovate, original and imaginative compared to what else exists today as the original Disneyland was compared to what else existed in 1955.

I think we all tend to forget, from our perspective as frequent visitors, how revolutionary Disneyland was for its time. We forget that everyone was talking about it and everyone wanted to visit it, from kids in Kansas to kings of foreign countries. We forget that it wasn't just popular, it wasn't just in the news, it was a worldwide phenomenon.

While that is all quite true, I believe that the original question actually referred to building a Disneyland equivalent to our current one. If Disneyland was totally destroyed (tornado, flood, earthquake, fire, etc.), would Disney be able (or willing) to rebuild the park to it's current state?

Of course we all want cutting edge attractions, and I believe if they did rebuild it, they would incorporate as many improvements as they could as long as it doesn't cost them. But I fear that they would take many shortcuts and the result would not be to the level of the existing park.

• Disneyland Dreamin'

Quote Originally Posted by DLFan1995 View Post
    While that is all quite true, I believe that the original question actually referred to building a Disneyland equivalent to our current one. If Disneyland was totally destroyed (tornado, flood, earthquake, fire, etc.), would Disney be able (or willing) to rebuild the park to it's current state?

Of course we all want cutting edge attractions, and I believe if they did rebuild it, they would incorporate as many improvements as they could as long as it doesn't cost them. But I fear that they would take many shortcuts and the result would not be to the level of the existing park.
    Actually Mr Wiggins had it right. A new experience or phenomenon for our time. Exactly what he said. You bring up a good point though. Would Disney resurrect the original? I think no. They would HAVE to come up with something revolutionary.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234