Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Disneyland Hotel Articles: Crazy for Building Disneyland Hotel

The other gentleman in the picture is William Perira's former business partner Charles Luckman. I know they split up in 1958 but I am not sure if there were hard feelings or they remained friends. They are sitting at separate tables. Pasted below is the announcement to Jack Wrather about the impending split.

Hey Big Don!!! I truly love your hotel updates. Have you thought about offering your book on Kindle? Can't wait for your next update. Say hi to Laurie and the kids from me and Tami.

Scott

By the way, while in Southern California, my wife and I attended the exhibit "Overdrive" at the Getty Research Institute off of the 405. What a fabulous exhibition and if you like the works of William Pereira, you will love this exhibit. Fascinating displays of a very dynamic period (1940-1990) in LA's history.

•   

Great documentation in your article. I was wondering if you might have come across any documents on how one of the HMS Queen Mary's propellers ended up at the Disneyland Hotel and where it went to? I don't believe they re-installed it on the ship in Long Beach. I know at one time Walt took his family on a sailing trip aboard the larger sister ship HMS Queen Elizabeth, which years later around 1968 was docked off the Florida coast at the Port Everglades much like the Queen Mary, to be operated as a floating hotel and tourist destination. This was just after Walt's death and during the time Walt Disney World was becoming a reality with land purchasing under way. Her adventure here did not quite work out and after a few years went on to sail again to a fiery ending in Hong Kong, where Disney also built a Disneyland years later. Would be interesting to read more about how the Wrather's became involved with the Queen Mary and their thoughts on it. The highly successful Tokyo Disney Seas, also has it's 1912 SS Columbia, which is much like the Queen Mary which would have been in in the Disney Long Beach project, had it gone through. I remember reading about a group of Japanese business men who wanted to buy the Queen Mary and float her to Japan, but too much of her hull supports had been removed for such a trip. Could this have been for TDS?
    Last edited by DisWedWay; 05-29-2013 at 03:58 PM. Reason: additions

Quote Originally Posted by DisWedWay View Post
    Great documentation in your article. I was wondering if you might have come across any documents on how one of the HMS Queen Mary's propellers ended up at the Disneyland Hotel and where it went to? I don't believe they re-installed it on the ship in Long Beach. I know at one time Walt took his family on a sailing trip aboard the larger sister ship HMS Queen Elizabeth, which years later around 1968 was docked off the Florida coast at the Port Everglades much like the Queen Mary, to be operated as a floating hotel and tourist destination. This was just after Walt's death and during the time Walt Disney World was becoming a reality with land purchasing under way. Her adventure here did not quite work out and after a few years went on to sail again to a fiery ending in Hong Kong, where Disney also built a Disneyland years later. Would be interesting to read more about how the Wrather's became involved with the Queen Mary and their thoughts on it. The highly successful Tokyo Disney Seas, also has it's 1912 SS Columbia, which is much like the Queen Mary which would have been in in the Disney Long Beach project, had it gone through. I remember reading about a group of Japanese business men who wanted to buy the Queen Mary and float her to Japan, but too much of her hull supports had been removed for such a trip. Could this have been for TDS?
    I did find some recent material on the Queen Mary. Let me dig it up and see what I have. I know that at first, Jack Wrather was interested in the restaurant on the Queen Mary but let me get more details.

•   

Back in the Wrather Days of operation, my brothers band used to play in the beautiful Art Deco bar called the Observation Bar at the stern of the Queen Mary, where a lot of the 1st Class passengers would light up a cigar over a fine glass of brandy back in it's day. Great spot for his band to perform and it was a must to have one of their martinis. I see Jack and his wife had taken many trips on the Queen Mary as Walt's family had done on the Queen Elizabeth. They say this sparked his interest in her.

Here is an interesting picture for you. It's the Wrathers on the Queen Mary standing in front of a picture of the Wrathers on the Queen Mary from some time previous.

Here are some of the earliest articles I have on the Wrathers involvement with the Queen Mary. I also have some from the 80's when they were developing several projects in Long Beach.

•   

Thank you very much for the items on the Queen Mary. The earlier and later photos of the Wrathers on board were supportive of their love for the ship. Interesting Disney is coming out with it's Lone Ranger and Tonto movie, and the Wrathers had once owned that TV property. I saw mention of a monorail to be installed at the Queen Mary docks but don't remember that being done? During the Disney years my friend used to book a room on the Queen Mary and take his collapsible fishing pole and fish out his porthole. It was great to see the Queen at night, back in WW 11 period for the Disney movie Pearl Harbor. I guess it was too expensive to paint her in her Gray Ghost camouflage paint for the movie, which had been done around 1939-40. Let me know if you find out anything on the propeller.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12