Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Disneyland Hotel Articles: Crazy for Building Disneyland Hotel

Just found my third source article referencing that Jack Wrather was crazy for building the Disneyland Hotel in 1955. Have a look....

First, a 1961 newspaper article:

Now a close-up of the last paragraph:

Next, a 1959 memo addressed to architect William Pereira who, by the way, designed the original Disneyland Hotel in late 1954.

And lastly, a 1978 newspaper article:

I think it can be said that like Walt Disney, Jack Wrather was indeed a risk taker. Additionally, they both had a vision like no others on what the people wanted and executed on their dreams and plans.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Disneyland Hotel Articles: Crazy for Building Disneyland Hotel

You do a really good job of acting as Jack Wrather's publicist

Do you have some connection to the family? Or did you work for the man?

I'll bet Wrather was crazy like a fox.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    You do a really good job of acting as Jack Wrather's publicist

Do you have some connection to the family? Or did you work for the man?
    No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. No relation though I am happy to say, I do call the members of his family as friends. They have been very supportive of me in my research. I would have to say, the highlight of my endeavors was when I saw this below....it was the result of almost two years of lobbying.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

It seemed like you have special access to the Wrather vault. I know our members appreciate your contributions as much as I do, and I had to find out... how does he do it!

It seemed like you have special access to the Wrather vault. I know our members appreciate your contributions as much as I do, and I had to find out... how does he do it!
    As a matter of fact, I did have access to a storage vault a few years back. It's true. I have only just begun to share contents. You will all be interested in knowing, I now know how to edit videos so watch for more footage. The vault has thus far yielded over 1200 new (old) photos, 17 films and over 500 documents...and counting. One of the films contained Disneyland opening day footage in absolutely amazing Kodak color and it featured Walt Disney while delivering his dedication speech.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Whenever you dig something up, you generate a lot of interest, and I like how you spread them out from time to time. You might consider writing one of the lead articles for the MiceAge part of the site, just an idea.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by oldhotelguy View Post
    As a matter of fact, I did have access to a storage vault a few years back. It's true. I have only just begun to share contents. You will all be interested in knowing, I now know how to edit videos so watch for more footage. The vault has thus far yielded over 1200 new (old) photos, 17 films and over 500 documents...and counting. One of the films contained Disneyland opening day footage in absolutely amazing Kodak color and it featured Walt Disney while delivering his dedication speech.
    Always love your contributions! can't wait for you to process more of your research
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Senior Minion

I think it can be said that like Walt Disney, Jack Wrather was indeed a risk taker. Additionally, they both had a vision like no others on what the people wanted and executed on their dreams and plans.
    Exactly right. And for the millions of guests who experienced Disneyland and the Disneyland Hotel in the years when Walt and Jack were in charge, there was no doubt that the personality of those men came through in everything their companies did.

Thanks again for another excellent thread, Don. Your work is documenting more than the careers of two men and the companies they founded, it is capturing a culture, a time, a sensibility and a soul that is, sadly, largely gone from the country today.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Thanks again for another excellent thread, Don. Your work is documenting more than the careers of two men and the companies they founded, it is capturing a culture, a time, a sensibility and a soul that is, sadly, largely gone from the country today.
    I concur with you 100%. I really enjoy doing this. Sure do hope the readers like it.

Whenever you dig something up, you generate a lot of interest, and I like how you spread them out from time to time. You might consider writing one of the lead articles for the MiceAge part of the site, just an idea.
    All they have to do is ask me!!

Something completely non-related to this post whatsoever but should be fun. I just did a huge update to my blog on Jack Wrather's 50th birthday party celebrated (partly) at the Disneyland Hotel. I am posting a picture below that has architect William Pereira in it (light suit/dark tie). I am sure you all know, William Pereira was the original architect for the Disneyland Hotel, may have even mentioned it above....maybe there is some relevance to this picture? There is another gentleman in the picture on the far left next to a pole in an orange shirt. For your 25 point bonus question, what is the identity of that gentleman? Hope you can all see him....

• Elk Grove Chris

No clue on who that is on the far left, but love your posts!
    They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night. ~Edgar Allan Poe

• Senior Minion

There is another gentleman in the picture on the far left next to a pole in an orange shirt. For your 25 point bonus question, what is the identity of that gentleman?
    Well... I cheated. I enlarged, desaturated and sharpened the image in Photoshop. I was able to tell that the gent isn't wearing an orange shirt -- the color is from the red-orange card in the floral centerpiece in front of him (there's an identical one near William Pereira). He's wearing a dark jacket with a white shirt; I can see his cuffs and cufflinks. He appears to have light or blonde hair. But even with my tech cheats, I still can't tell who he is.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Well... I cheated. I enlarged, desaturated and sharpened the image in Photoshop. I was able to tell that the gent isn't wearing an orange shirt -- the color is from the red-orange card in the floral centerpiece in front of him (there's an identical one near William Pereira). He's wearing a dark jacket with a white shirt; I can see his cuffs and cufflinks. He appears to have light or blonde hair. But even with my tech cheats, I still can't tell who he is.

I have to say, it's not an easy question. You would have to be a real Disneyland Hotel history expert to know. Anybody want a clue?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast