Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What happened to the Main Street Station's 10 Cent Music Machine...Thing?

After looking through MiceChat one last time before logging out for the night, I remember I had a photo I took last Sunday whilst in the park with the intention of asking about it later and forgot about it until now.

Right where the trash can is right across from the 10 cent scales was a music machine that ate up dimes and played a song. It has a glass window so you could see the various instruments playing inside. I'm not sure if I missed a thread post or an article or something, but where is the machine? Is it under refurbishment? Is it gone for good? Did it go before the station's refurbishment or after? Can someone shed some light on the subject? I would of asked one of the conductors, but my stay at the park was extremely short and I didn't have time because I was getting something else at the time.

Thanks for the help guys.

Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

• Hide and Seek with Anna

Re: What happened to the Main Street Station's 10 Cent Music Machine...Thing?

Never knew there was a machine there.

I don't know what happened to it, and I don't even remember seeing it in person.

But I do remember that the Orchestrion was featured on the Disney parks blog last year: Restoring a Piece of Disneyland History: The Main Street Arcade Orchestrion « Disney Parks Blog

It was supposed to be back after the refurbishment of the arcade/candy store.

• Senior Minion

Hopefully it's out for refurbishment, and not just... out.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Disney/WWE/Anime fan

weird..all I know of is the old Organ that sits between Penny Arcade and candy palace..
    its just not usuable anymore

• Minion

It's back today. The wood has been refinished and the brass polished. Unfortunately, I don't have a dime on me or I would be playing out now.

• Minion

The price went up, it's now 25 cents.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ron W View Post
    The price went up, it's now 25 cents.
    *sigh* Use the excuse of "refurbishment" to kick up the prices....

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    *sigh* Use the excuse of "refurbishment" to kick up the prices....
    I find it as a precaution. Countries have started annexing their pennies and some people talk about doing the same with dimes. So in case that happens the quarter will be there to back the up...you know that would pose as an interesting question. "What would happen to the penny and dime operated machines if the USA rids of the penny and dime?

Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

• Johnny and Me!

Hopefully the extra $ will be used to keep it maintained...it was sounding tired last time I was there.

For those of you who have never seen it in person, here is a video from last year:

Nelson-Wiggen Style 6 Orchestrion | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

And here is some info about the machine:

http://www.bandorganmusic.com/Hathaw...e/nel_wig6.htm

• Minion

IMG_5258 by socal_ron, on Flickr

Even though the price has increased, I bet more people have quarters than dimes, therefore more people will probably be able to enjoy it. I kind of find it hard to believe that they did that to get more money. I doubt these things brought in any substantial amount of money to begin with.

It could have been possible that the mechanism broke and they couldn't find ten cent mechanism for it or they just figured that people are used to putting quarters into these things that it wouldn't really matter.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Minion

• Minion

IMG_5565 by socal_ron, on Flickr

IMG_5566 by socal_ron, on Flickr

IMG_5567 by socal_ron, on Flickr

IMG_5568 by socal_ron, on Flickr

IMG_5569 by socal_ron, on Flickr

• "I Break Things"

Fun CM Story time; It sits right across from the Lead office. An old friend used to work Trains. He used to love that machine. It sounded great, and it annoyed the Lead team. Usually he'd put in a couple dimes right before he'd catch a train. The machine always made a ton of noise and the Lead would always come running out knowing it was him.

Anyhow he got stuck with station duty and was putting a few dimes in to pass the time. The Lead, knowing it was him, unplugged the machine. So my friend got smart about it. He plugged it in before his break. On his break he got a roll of Dimes (that's 50 dimes for anyone not old enough to remember). When he came back he handed a dime to any kid coming through the turnstyle and directed them to the machine! He said it was the best $5 he'd ever spent!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast