Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Sock Puppet

Re: Mickey's Not-So-Magical Map ...Ugh!

Quote Originally Posted by k_peek_2000 View Post
    Then it fails as a stage show. The whole point of Broadway is to take you out of reality. Aladdin thrives at doing that. There's no justification for a mediocre show.
    Magical Map is on par with just about everything that theater has had in the past. NOTHING in that theater has ever blown you away like Disneys nighttime spectaculars. These stage shows are there to entertain you, but they are not designed to be grand spectacles.

Who said it doesn't take you out of reality? Just because its not this grandiose show doesn't mean it doesn't transport you out of reality. The Fantasyland dark rides are not huge spectacles like Indiana Jones or RSR but they still take you out of reality, right? Same concept here.

Quote Originally Posted by NineteenTwenty8 View Post
    Magical Map is on par with just about everything that theater has had in the past. NOTHING in that theater has ever blown you away like Disneys nighttime spectaculars. These stage shows are there to entertain you, but they are not designed to be grand spectacles.
    He didn't say they were suppose to be as grand as the nighttime shows but this is not on par with Pocahontas or Beauty and the Beast, or even the very similar One Man's Dream.

One Man's Dream used a quarter the technology and was a vastly more entertaining, cohesive, and better designed show.

Quote Originally Posted by Rave View Post
    He didn't say they were suppose to be as grand as the nighttime shows but this is not on par with Pocahontas or Beauty and the Beast, or even the very similar One Man's Dream.

One Man's Dream used a quarter the technology and was a vastly more entertaining, cohesive, and better designed show.
    Oh yes, One Man's Dream was far better than MMM. For one, it didn't have a storyline, because the show itself didn't need one. They relied heavily (and only) on amazing talent by the music, dancing, costumes and set designs. And the fact that each musical number they did in that show flowed so smoothly onto the next number. OMD was pure entertainment without the use of over-the-top technology.

For me, using state-of-the-art technology works for nighttime shows like Fantasmic! and World of Color. At the Fantasyland Theatre, it's the cast of dancers and singers that should be the focus...not the use of a huge LED screen! And if you're gonna have a storyline to it, make it work and make it flow smoothly into each musical act.

Having seen many shows at the fantasyland theater I have to say this one is very unique and different. I think kids now are more entertained by technology and the map provides just that. It was great seeing "Pocahontas" back on stage after many years, growing up watching shows there like the "spirit of Pocahontas" and "animazement" really bring back childhood memories for me and those were great shows. There are a couple of things I would change, for one put ariel in the "under the sea" number, and stitch or LILO in "Hawaiian roller coaster ride" number. Also have the dancers change costumes, adding a hula skirt or underwater flair could make it more entertaining to look at the dancers. Also during the finale bring out all the characters, of a way of saying goodbye to the audience. Other than that the show is good, just needs a few tweaks which I'm sure will be changed soon. Bruce healey who did the music for fantasmic and many other shows and parades at disneyland did the score to this show. The show will also be changing in time, that's why at the end mickey says "let the journey continue" so we will see new musical numbers in the near future.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by NineteenTwenty8 View Post

Who said it doesn't take you out of reality? Just because its not this grandiose show doesn't mean it doesn't transport you out of reality. The Fantasyland dark rides are not huge spectacles like Indiana Jones or RSR but they still take you out of reality, right? Same concept here.
    I would say Aladdin is pretty spectacular, that certainly blew me away the first time I saw it. Mickey and the Magical Map does not.

I totally agree with others that the use of the same costumes in all the numbers was completely ridiculous -These costumes had a Hunchback of Notre Dame look and except for the opening number were out of place in all the other numbers especially in Under The Sea - Seriously what were the creators of the show thinking!!!!!! It made the production seem cheap and amaturish-I thought Animazement and One Mans Dream were MUCH BETTER shows with all the elaborate costumes and sets in addition to the fabulous dancers and singers - The map is innovative but the show is blah compared to the previously mentioned shows -Also the puppet portion of the Under the Sea number is dumb -I could have done a much better job - I hope the creators are listening and will change costumes for each number -That would add alot more excitement to the show!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandFan1997 View Post
    Bruce healey who did the music for fantasmic and many other shows and parades at disneyland did the score to this show. The show will also be changing in time, that's why at the end mickey says "let the journey continue" so we will see new musical numbers in the near future.
    This seems to be a new trend. "The show doesn't need to be that good because it will change out scenes over time" I rather take a really great show for five years then a sub-par one that is constantly changing.

• Disney Fan 4 Life

Quote Originally Posted by Rave View Post
    This seems to be a new trend. "The show doesn't need to be that good because it will change out scenes over time" I rather take a really great show for five years then a sub-par one that is constantly changing.
    Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy.

“To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.” - Walt Disney, Disneyland Opening Day Speech 1955

View my new Budget Disney Blog here: http://budgetdisneylandresort.blogspot.com/

• Minion

I think they will get rid of this show in the near future. I think Snow White only showed for 3 years

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Here's an "interesting" view of the show from the far left side seats. I ask you, those having already seen the show and those who have seen it on youtube from a middle seat view... how visually different the show is now and how the screens come into play by this viewing angle.

I actually like it from the side because I see more performance than screen.

Your thoughts?
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• Disney Fan 4 Life

I think your picture shows that the "map" will only show properly dead on and anyone in off center seats have things slightly skewed. Seems like this tech could have been done so that is looked good from all view points.
    Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy.

“To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.” - Walt Disney, Disneyland Opening Day Speech 1955

View my new Budget Disney Blog here: http://budgetdisneylandresort.blogspot.com/

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by DannyLand View Post
    I think they will get rid of this show in the near future. I think Snow White only showed for 3 years
    Snow White was corny indeed but it was a fun kind of corn.

This was okay but the concept of a show which is merely a series of Disney musical numbers and no real story loses its muster when it's been a hundred times. I was enjoying it at first when the show looked like it was developing a story but when I realized it was acting as nothing more than segways, that was when the disappointment kicked in.

To be fair, it is using Disney songs that haven't been heard a hundred times before in the parks. The only "done to death" song in that show was "Under the Sea".

• Banned User

Sorry, I disagree with the reviews here. Some scenes did take me out of reality. The show was well done. Compared with other Fantasyland productions, it is just as good, not better or worse. If you expect Broadway quality, then they need to remove the tent and build an indoor theater like DCA's Hyperion Theater.

I did have a problem with the way the Magical Map was portrayed. With the music that suggested Harry Potter style wizardry, I expected the map to be interactive and Mickey will explore the map, but he mainly interacted with the dot and tried to paint it. This is very tedious and not engaging.

(A funny thing happened on Sunday's show. A technical problem happened on the first show and Mickey didn't go into the trap door. They had to stop for a few minutes and restarted the show.)

The wow moment was in the end where Tatiana sang "Dig a Little Deeper". The other wow moment was the 3 princesses (Pocohontas, Mulan, and Rapunzel). There should be more, but it was good enough.

The "Under The Sea" section was fine, but it didn't feature Ariel. The highlight was the guys in the bubbles. Another technical glitch. One guy could not pop his bubble.

• Evil is Sexy

Quote Originally Posted by StevenW View Post
    The wow moment was in the end where Tatiana sang "Dig a Little Deeper". The other wow moment was the 3 princesses (Pocohontas, Mulan, and Rapunzel). There should be more, but it was good enough.
    Psst.. Tiana.
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

I saw the show at a cast member preview and for the most part, I do like it. Way better than animazement, I could not stand that show. I like the backstory and having mickey mouse once again being a little on the bad side. But the theatre guy in me wants to tweak things evert so slightly. First, get ride of the guys in the bubbles, they come of awkward, couldn't they have brought out something more colorful and useful. Also the sebestian puppet looks like a spider that was flattened. I think a better puppet could be built and used, although the puppeteer I had in my show was a pretty amazing vocalist. I really like the choice with adding mulan and pocahantas in the show, they are not used enough in the parks in my opinion. But with the hawiian roller coaster ride, I was so sad when stitch did not appear, instead we have more dancing with minimal spinning on metal surfboards which could be used more, but bring in stitch, please. I did not mind the ink dot as a character, i thought it was kind of cute, kind of reminds me of doing something similar with world of color that was cut from that show.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast