Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 98
  1. #16

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    328

    Re: Little Known Disneyland Facts

    Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    You beat me to it WDITrent, I was just going to say the same thing. I worked on the popcorn wagon at the hub many, many times during my three years there, and I can assure you, it is the same damn music all day and all night.

    There's a lot of fake hidden secrets out there about Disneyland. When I went through park orientation our guide told us that Main Street gets narrower as you get closer to the castle, and in fact if you extended Main Street out all the way, it the sidewalks would meet just past the carousel. This was so that guests arriving would see a nice, long road to the castle when they first walk in, and create a sense of adventure and discovery, but that tired guests going home would see a nice short walk to the park exit. Then someone pointed out that couldn't be true because there are the trolley tracks in the middle of the street and you'd be able to easily tell if the street were getting narrower or wider relative to the tracks. And that was a Disney cast member giving an official park orientation to a group of new hires. So I guess even Disney doesn't know all of their secrets...
    The book addresses the myth that the streets get narrower.. But interesting to note that the loops thing isn't true.. I guess it all depends who you talk to about these tidbits. DL is so constantly evolving and so many people are involved, I'm sure there's lots to go around.

  2. #17

    • formerly very helpful
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    My new house in Southern California
    Posts
    5,227

    Re: Little Known Disneyland Facts

    Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    You beat me to it WDITrent, I was just going to say the same thing. I worked on the popcorn wagon at the hub many, many times during my three years there, and I can assure you, it is the same damn music all day and all night.

    There's a lot of fake hidden secrets out there about Disneyland. When I went through park orientation our guide told us that Main Street gets narrower as you get closer to the castle, and in fact if you extended Main Street out all the way, it the sidewalks would meet just past the carousel. This was so that guests arriving would see a nice, long road to the castle when they first walk in, and create a sense of adventure and discovery, but that tired guests going home would see a nice short walk to the park exit. Then someone pointed out that couldn't be true because there are the trolley tracks in the middle of the street and you'd be able to easily tell if the street were getting narrower or wider relative to the tracks. And that was a Disney cast member giving an official park orientation to a group of new hires. So I guess even Disney doesn't know all of their secrets...
    I had been told that it wasn't that the street got narrower, but the forced perspective was designed in such a way that the street would look longer from the train station looking to the castle, than it would from the castle looking to the train station.

    Now I just don't know what to believe.

  3. #18

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    83

    Re: Little Known Disneyland Facts

    Absolutely love Easter Eggs in the parks. So many really neat ones everywhere.

    My favourite is in the Main St. station and in many of the other stations you can hear a telegraph beeping, this supposedly translates the first few sentences of Walt's opening day speech.

    There's thousands on a website I found before my March Disneyland trip. It's an older website that probably hasn't been updated for 5 years or so:

    hiddenmickeys.org/Disneyland/Secrets.html

    So many it gives me a headache to read for so long, so interesting too, but some are a little irrelevant for how long ago they've been posted. Many are true and very interesting to scope out.

  4. #19

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    83

    Re: Little Known Disneyland Facts

    Quote Originally Posted by stitchfanocala View Post
    There have been stray cats at Disneyland for years.
    Definitely saw one twice in a row in March in DCA in the dirt hill behind Grizzly River Run. It was the same cat but still, so fun to see.

  5. #20

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ocala, FL
    Posts
    869

    Re: Little Known Disneyland Facts

    I still remember the days LONG before Splash Mountain, the walk towards Country Bear Jamboree had a tall cliff mountain (two or three stories high) with cave on top and the sounds of a snoring bear coming from it. That was Rufus. He got relocated to the back of Tom Sawyers Island at one point.

    Hey we should make a kind of continuity game of this, the kind that we usually see on this site. How about it? Anyone come up with an old little known fact about Disneyland in a particular area or spot, and the next person follows that up with another one somewhere nearby. Let's see how many we can link up around the park? If you are all game, then the next person come up with one somewhere around TSI or Frontierland.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

  6. #21

    • враг народа
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    14,210
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Little Known Disneyland Facts

    Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    I had been told that it wasn't that the street got narrower, but the forced perspective was designed in such a way that the street would look longer from the train station looking to the castle, than it would from the castle looking to the train station.

    Now I just don't know what to believe.
    That's not true either. If you search there are plenty of threads on it.

    The survey market near the Castle is also not the original center.

  7. #22

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    328

    Re: Little Known Disneyland Facts

    -New Orleans Square is several stories high, and as a result, the boarding area for POTC is on the equivalent of the 3rd floor. What's underneath? The lower level of the attraction, along with offices, the main kitchen for this park for the park, and "the DEC" (the Disney Employee Cafeteria). The entrance to this area can be found to the immediate left of the NOS Railroad Station, just before the restrooms.
    -The tiny pieces embedded into the pavement of Main Street (often mistaken for discarded chewing gum) are sensors that guide parade floats and ensure they hit their marks.
    -Of the 18 teacups on Mad Tea Party, the plain lavendar one spins the fastest.
    -The passport sitting in the glass case along the back wall of Mickey's house is stamped with the names of 5 places (Anaheim, Orlando, Hong Kong, Paris & Tokyo), each a city where a Disney park is located. The date of the stamp is the same as the date that the property officially opened. Among the books lining the shelves of Minnie's house is one in the kithen that's entitled, "Elvis. What Happened?"
    -$10,000: price paid by the Fujishige family in 1954, for the 56 acres of strawberry fields across from Disneyland
    $99.9 million: price paid by Disneyland, in the late 1990s, to the Fujishige family for 52.5 of those acres

  8. #23

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ocala, FL
    Posts
    869

    Re: Little Known Disneyland Facts

    Quote Originally Posted by HiddenMickey87 View Post
    -the main kitchen for this park for the park, and "the DEC" (the Disney Employee Cafeteria). The entrance to this area can be found to the immediate left of the NOS Railroad Station, just before the restrooms.
    Typo there? And the DEC, the Disney Employee Cafeteria, that is not the only one in Disneyland. It is one of two and called West Side if I remember correctly from when I was a Cast Member. The more popular one and more busier of the two is the one backstage between Main Street and Tomorrowland, across from First Aid and Space Mountain. East Side is a large cafeteria and probably the well known more of the two. West Side is convenient for CM's working in that area of the park & vise versa. The best place I remember about East Side was the pizza. Usually around the quality of Red Rockets if not better. I don't remember much about West Side. I only went there about 2 or 3 times, but I remember it being quiet.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

  9. #24

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    222

    Re: Little Known Disneyland Facts

    Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    I had been told that it wasn't that the street got narrower, but the forced perspective was designed in such a way that the street would look longer from the train station looking to the castle, than it would from the castle looking to the train station.

    Now I just don't know what to believe.
    There are other ways to force perspective in the 3-dimensional world than converging lines.

  10. #25

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    28

    Re: Little Known Disneyland Facts

    It is a law in Anaheim for structures 200 feet and above to have flashing lights on the roof. In order for it not to interfere with the design, Disney built the Tower of Terror to be 199 feet.


  11. #26

    • враг народа
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    14,210
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Little Known Disneyland Facts

    Quote Originally Posted by Witeldram View Post
    It is a law in Anaheim for structures 200 feet and above to have flashing lights on the roof. In order for it not to interfere with the design, Disney built the Tower of Terror to be 199 feet.
    This is a Federal Aviation Administration regulation but only the Hollywood Tower Hotel in Florida is 199' tall. The other towers are 183' tall.

  12. #27

    • Disneyland 20 year APH
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brea, Ca
    Posts
    1,060

    Re: Little Known Disneyland Facts

    Name:  IMG_1676 - Copy.JPG
Views: 666
Size:  199.9 KB
    This fountain on East Center Street was from the original 1955 park build. Its right next to the lockers by the cone stand. When you get closed to the brick work you will see several different styles of bricks on the wall. It was nicked name the "Test Wall" because of the that reason. Over the years someone got creative and placed this fountain in the middle of it. And if they build the back alley project the wall will be slated to go.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

  13. #28

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    328

    Re: Little Known Disneyland Facts

    Quote Originally Posted by stitchfanocala View Post
    Typo there? And the DEC, the Disney Employee Cafeteria, that is not the only one in Disneyland. It is one of two and called West Side if I remember correctly from when I was a Cast Member. The more popular one and more busier of the two is the one backstage between Main Street and Tomorrowland, across from First Aid and Space Mountain. East Side is a large cafeteria and probably the well known more of the two. West Side is convenient for CM's working in that area of the park & vise versa. The best place I remember about East Side was the pizza. Usually around the quality of Red Rockets if not better. I don't remember much about West Side. I only went there about 2 or 3 times, but I remember it being quiet.
    Yes, I meant "part of the park."

    Is the other CM cafeteria you are referring to called the Inn Between?

  14. #29

    • Mostly Harmless.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Somewhere in Idaho...
    Posts
    1,825

    Re: Little Known Disneyland Facts

    The forced perspective on Main Street gives the illusion that your wallet has more money to burn than it actually contains.
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

  15. #30

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Santa Clarita, California, United States
    Posts
    2,571

    Re: Little Known Disneyland Facts

    During my Disney University training in 1978, we were told that despite Walt's policy of using of first names on worktime, that there were 3 or 4 official "Mister"s in Disneyland: Mr. Toad, Mr. Smee and Mr. Lincoln. For the life of me, I can't think of the 4th Mister in Disneyland, if there is one.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [News] Little Known Disneyland Facts
    By BoygunaSurf in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-25-2011, 10:08 PM
  2. [Fun] Little-Known and Well-Known Facts/Myths about Disneyland
    By Kablary in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 170
    Last Post: 01-07-2010, 04:38 PM
  3. 50 Little Known Facts About Disneyland (Satire)
    By Eisnerland in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-16-2005, 05:46 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •