Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Little Known Disneyland Facts

It has been a while since I read Disneyland Detective by Kendra Trahan, but I pulled it out today in preparation from my upcoming trip and thought I'd share some great tidbits I "rediscovered." I think its about 6-7 years old now, but nonetheless a fantastic read I highly recommend.

-The Main St. music in the morning is upbeat with a fast tempo, and as the day progresses, the music slows down to keep pace with the energy of the guests.
    -Though Walt's apartment isn't open to the public, at City Hall you can get a copy of "Room With A View," by Anne K. Okey, an article that describes the furniture and the apartment.
    -Hidden Mickey: Fortune Teller Esmerelda uses Mickey Mouse cards.
    -On the Partners statue, look for the initials STR on Walt's tie. They stand for Smoke Tree Ranch, a favorite vacation spot in Palm Springs.
    -Disney Clothiers LTD is kept a few degrees cooler than other stores, to encourage guests to buy sweatshirts and warm clothing. CMs call it the "coldest store in the park."
    -There are 3 wooden Indians in the park, and they have been named by cast members. The one on Main St. is Chief Stands A Lot (notice he wears a U.S. coin and his rifle is turned backwards, both symbols of peace.) The one in Frontierland is Chief Leans A Lot. And Chief Waves A Lot can be seen riding his horse from the Mark Twain.
    -The animated Lincoln was built by Disney for the New York World's Fair because, according to Marty Sklar, that "was a chance to experiment with someone else's money."
    -Fritz, Pierre, Michael and Jose introduce over 200 birds, flowers and tikis, including: 54 orchids, 4 tiki poles, 12 Tiki drummers, 24 singing masks, 7 birds of paradise, 8 macaws, 12 toucans, 9 forktail birds, 6 cockatoos, and 20 tropical birds. Guests, who sit on the original chairs for a tahitian restaurant on site (the fountain stage was to be the coffee service station), can request to wake up Jose.
    -The seven original Jungle Cruise boat names were: Congo Queen, Swanee Lady, Amazon Belle, Ganges Gal, Nile Princess, Mekong Maiden, and Irrawaddi Woman. The fleet has since grown to include: Ucataali Una, Hondo Hattie, Orinoco Adventures, Zammbesi Miss, Magdalena Maiden, and Yanngtze Lotus. In 1967 one boat was renamed Kissimmee Kate. It seems like a cute pun, but it is named after the Kissimme River in Florida, a clue to Disney's plans for what would soon be WDW.
    -Before you enter the Indy building, look on the outside of the Mara Temple. Do you see a small wooden bucket on the roof? Nearby made of stone is a copy of the sorcerer's hat Mickey wore in Fantasia.
    -The original cost of Tarzan's Treehouse was $254,900, with $40,000 budgeted for leaves.

Re: Little Known Disneyland Facts

There is a hidden Eeyore on Indy.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

The colours of the tiki room bird hosts feathers are the same as their national flags

• formerly very helpful

There is a light kept on in Walt's apartment as a reminder of him.

• Dead men tell no tales.

You can here the Jungle Cruise gunshots from the Esplanade as well as from the entrance to Main Street

I liked it when they couldn't use the guns for a while for some reason. So Skippers got innovative and at the Hippo pool they'd do something along the lines of this....

They'd tell everyone to get real quiet as they stopped the boat. Saying if they listened, they might hear the baby hippos yell for their mom. The first time I was on it when this happened, the Skipper waited a second and yelled "HEY MA?!?!" Everyone laughed. The second time I rode it and they did this, before the Skipper could yell it out, I was in the back and I turned my head and in my best Stooges Curly voice I yelled out "Hey Ma?!?!" The Skipper went along with it and the crowd laughed.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

• Minion

The gold accents decorating the "it's a small world" facade are based of Imagineer Leota Toomb's jewelry. When designing the facade in the model shop, the designers looked to Leota's fanciful earrings, necklaces, pendents, bracelets, etc. for inspiration.

• We Go On.

Quote Originally Posted by HiddenMickey87 View Post
    -The Main St. music in the morning is upbeat with a fast tempo, and as the day progresses, the music slows down to keep pace with the energy of the guests.
    This one isn't and has never been true for Disneyland, though Jack Wagner's "Morning and Evening" loops debuted with the Magic Kingdom at WDW and two new morning and evening loops were used at Disneyland Paris for a couple of years before switching back to just one. The Magic Kingdom and Disneyland switched to using just one loop (borrowing DLP's morning loop) in the 90s, and just last year they switched loops again to a new one.

• Former Churro Jockey

You beat me to it WDITrent, I was just going to say the same thing. I worked on the popcorn wagon at the hub many, many times during my three years there, and I can assure you, it is the same damn music all day and all night.

There's a lot of fake hidden secrets out there about Disneyland. When I went through park orientation our guide told us that Main Street gets narrower as you get closer to the castle, and in fact if you extended Main Street out all the way, it the sidewalks would meet just past the carousel. This was so that guests arriving would see a nice, long road to the castle when they first walk in, and create a sense of adventure and discovery, but that tired guests going home would see a nice short walk to the park exit. Then someone pointed out that couldn't be true because there are the trolley tracks in the middle of the street and you'd be able to easily tell if the street were getting narrower or wider relative to the tracks. And that was a Disney cast member giving an official park orientation to a group of new hires. So I guess even Disney doesn't know all of their secrets...
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

There have been stray cats at Disneyland for years.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HiddenMickey87 View Post

-Hidden Mickey: Fortune Teller Esmerelda uses Mickey Mouse cards.
    Currently, she has Haunted Mansion cards, though they are getting faded and need to be replaced.

• We Go On.

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    There's a lot of fake hidden secrets out there about Disneyland. When I went through park orientation our guide told us that Main Street gets narrower as you get closer to the castle, and in fact if you extended Main Street out all the way, it the sidewalks would meet just past the carousel. This was so that guests arriving would see a nice, long road to the castle when they first walk in, and create a sense of adventure and discovery, but that tired guests going home would see a nice short walk to the park exit. Then someone pointed out that couldn't be true because there are the trolley tracks in the middle of the street and you'd be able to easily tell if the street were getting narrower or wider relative to the tracks. And that was a Disney cast member giving an official park orientation to a group of new hires. So I guess even Disney doesn't know all of their secrets...
    On my Keys to the Kingdom tour at WDW, the guide told us that the finials on the Haunted Mansion façade are designed to emulate chess pieces, and that Marc Davis, who designed the façade, must have been a huge chess fan because he also created the chess gag in the POTC queue. I didn't mention anything, but Claude Coats designed the WDW Haunted Mansion façade, not Marc Davis, and Coats has denied any of the mansion's connection to chess pieces.

The skull on the head board of potc is a real skull. On Indian jones ride when you see the big ball. The car dosent move back the walls on the side move. There is a hidden Mickey on Big Ben on Peter Pan.

• Former Churro Jockey

Quote Originally Posted by stitchfanocala View Post
    There have been stray cats at Disneyland for years.
    VERY true, and if you ever have a chance to walk though the park when it's closed and empty, they come out in packs. There's several hundred and they were brought in to catch mice because that was a big problem early on for the park. Whenever I worked on the popcorn wagon in Critter Country standing behind the wagon I could see a family of cats with their kittens living under a bridge that was part of the Hungry Bear Restaurant. They do a really good job of staying out of sight from the guests. I can only think of one time that I ever saw a cat in the park when I was there as a guest.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    VERY true, and if you ever have a chance to walk though the park when it's closed and empty, they come out in packs. There's several hundred and they were brought in to catch mice because that was a big problem early on for the park. Whenever I worked on the popcorn wagon in Critter Country standing behind the wagon I could see a family of cats with their kittens living under a bridge that was part of the Hungry Bear Restaurant. They do a really good job of staying out of sight from the guests. I can only think of one time that I ever saw a cat in the park when I was there as a guest.
    Yep, I remember reading that from the Mouse Tales book.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast