Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Driving from Tracy to DLR. *updAte*

Well I read on here I should use the 210 to 57 I believe it said. Do you think that is still the best route to take. How long after I go by magic mountain should I look for this 210 route. I wanna be there by 7 am to buy my tickets from tropicana and head over to the park. Tropicana says I can buy my tickets there in the am.
    Last edited by Danski; 05-27-2013 at 04:46 AM. Reason: Update

Re: Driving from Tracy to DLR. best route

Google it. If its by magic mountain( six flags) stay on the 5. It's a straight away.

•   
    • Minion

i'm assuming you mean tracy ca. I am from tracy as well I only take 210/57 if there is a ton a traffic on 5. sometimes i also go 210/605/91/5. what i do is I check Google maps as I approach it. 210 kind of goes around but can be faster if LA traffic is insane. The traffic always tells me which way to go between the three routes I mentioned above.

Yes I am in Tracy. I love it here. I will be leaving at around 12 am. I read some posts that say its pretty much always busy on 5 so I was thinking it might be best to use the 210 route. Is the 210 right near magic mountain? Gonna get a map here in a few as I run out for last minute stuff ( kids hair detangler etc lol ).

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Danski View Post
    Yes I am in Tracy. I love it here. I will be leaving at around 12 am. I read some posts that say its pretty much always busy on 5 so I was thinking it might be best to use the 210 route. Is the 210 right near magic mountain? Gonna get a map here in a few as I run out for last minute stuff ( kids hair detangler etc lol ).
    if you leave at midnight you should hit LA at a reasonable hour to use 5.If you have a smart phone stop around magic mountain to check the traffic patterns ahead of you. 210 is right after santa clarita. I am not sure how fast you drive or how many stops you will take but if I left at midnight i would hit magic mountain in 4-5 hours at that time in the morning it's pretty mellow on 5.

• Chief Troublemaker

Hi! I travel from Sacramento and always just stay on I5 when going to DL. My old home town is where the 210 & 57 connect so I'm familiar with both routes. A lot depends on WHEN you think you'll be hitting the area. If it's during AM commute time you'll hit as much traffic on the 210 heading to Glendale/Pasadena, then again heavy traffic on the 57 heading to DL as you will on I5 thru downtown LA. Same thing with the evening commute hours going the other way. We've usually made a little better time just sticking to I5, barring any major traffic incident.

The 210 splits off from I5 about 5-7 miles after Magic Mtn (I'm pretty sure, but check maps). FYI, as familiar as I am with that trip, for some reason I find that the 210 exit always surprises me & I always have to get over real fast to make the offramp!!! Maybe it's just me, but keep your eyes peeled once you pass Magic Mtn if you decide to go that route.
    Last edited by Stormy; 05-26-2013 at 11:30 AM.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

Hi! I live in Turlock now, but I'm from Tracy.

I would stick with I-5. I'm not a fan of 5 north of the Grapevine (I prefer 99), but once you get over the hill, I think it's the fastest and easiest way.

• Minion

We are in Modesto, and leaving at that hour (well we left at 1am) we made it in under 5 hours. You should be ok just coming straight down 5.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

5 All the way...I drive to So Cal a LOT and have found it almost always better or a wash just to rough it through I5 even in rush hour.

Unless there is an accident, construction, or some other unusual delay, I have yet to find an "alternate" that was not just as long as waiting it out.

If you are leaving at midnight, you will hit the LA basin at 5-6a...straight shot, no question.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ParkHopper1 View Post
    5 All the way...I drive to So Cal a LOT and have found it almost always better or a wash just to rough it through I5 even in rush hour.
    I will disagree. A year ago, my sister and I were both driving down and hit Santa Clarita at 615p on a Thurs night. I took 210, she took the 5. No accidents, just bad traffic. The 210 had rough traffic the last 8 miles from the 605, but I still beat her by 45 mins. We were checked in, luggage put away, and having dinner at Mimi's before she arrived. We drive it at least once a month. Unless we hit Santa Clarita after 8pm and before 6am, and I can see little to no red on Sigalert, we will go the 210 route. Worst case scenario, the 210 might cost me 15 mins if I was wrong about the 5 at the time.
    Last edited by Malcon10t; 05-26-2013 at 03:01 PM.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Wow this is getting to be a tough decision. I am for the 210 but the wife says at least we won't get lost on the 5. I really wanna make a good decision that lets me avoid a traffic jam. It is a holiday and I am leaving really early so maybe 5 won't be so packed but I just don't want to risk a big traffic snarl.

• Minion

If you leave at midnight-1am, take the 5 all the way.

•   
    • Minion

yep because you are leaving at midnight id say on i-5

Ok decision made. Looks like its 5 all the way. I will post times when I arrive. Thank you all so much.

•   
    • Minion

Ok decision made. Looks like its 5 all the way. I will post times when I arrive. Thank you all so much.

and don't forget to take lots of pics and post a trip report when you return

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast