Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Chief Troublemaker

Re: Staying on property vs. off property

As long as I can afford to stay on property (preferably at the Grand) I will. Period. The conveniences and the total immersion is worth it to me. It may cost more, but is worth every penny. The theming, close walking distance, package delivery, the personal safety factor, and above all, that 'Disney' touch in customer service. A word of caution though; for those of you who are thinking of a 'one night splurge' in conjunction with your offsite stay, be careful because you may just find that you NEVER want to stay offsite again. That's what happened to DH & I a few years ago when we spent a 'last night' at the Grand, and what happened to my BFF when she & I went in February for our '2 crazy girls trip'! She'd never stayed onsite, fretted about the cost when we booked our stay, and shouted 'Now I get it!' after the first night!
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by whoever View Post
    Never had occasion to. If it is as bad as EvilRocketeer makes it sound then seems like a good idea though.
    I've been going to Disneyland, and walking through this part of Anaheim for more than 40 years. Although it makes sense in any city to keep your eyes open and not walk alone, I have NEVER experienced any unsafe situation walking near the resorts, or felt threatened in any way. While the things EvilROcketeer mentioned may very well occur, to say that they are major or even common problems is more than a bit of an over statement. If you're really concerned, a quick phone call to the Anaheim police department could easily get you the statistics on the crimes in the area. I think you'll find that actual violent crimes are rather rare there.

• Yearning for Disneyland

I stayed at the Carousel Inn a few months ago and the location is fantastic. Literally right across the street from the gate; much closer than the Disneyland Hotel and waaay closer than the Paradise Pier Hotel. We always felt safe and it's so close that walking to the hotel at the dead of night was fine. Rooms were nice and staff accommodating. We REALLY appreciated the close location when we showed up for our reservation at Ariel's Grotto only to discover that my mom had left her meal vouchers at the hotel and I had to sprint all the way there and back to get them. Still only took me about twenty minutes, tops.

...and just a little bit of pixie dust!
    http://www.spareoom.net

Crime can happen anywhere. Just because you're in a certain part of town or neighborhood doesn't make you free of danger.

We tend to stay off property due to the fact of the traffic jams surrounding the park. It's also cost efficient for the both of us. We do have a rental car to get us around if we want to venture out to LA county or other random places.

• Genopeid

“Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning. ”

The couple that was attacked flagged down a random mini bus. I have been walking the streets of Disney for years. All times of day and night I have never seen the gangs here (homeless yes). Bad things can happen, but that can happen anywhere. No need to scare people. Use your good judgement. Stay with the crowds. If you need public transportation, go by ESPN zone to the Taxi area. Or call a cab. Its the same as visiting Oakland or S.F. Use your good judgement, and plan ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by whoever View Post
    Never had occasion to. If it is as bad as EvilRocketeer makes it sound then seems like a good idea though.
    It's not bad AT ALL. I have walked to the parks early in the morning and back late at night and have never seen prostitutes, a homeless person or gangs. Aside froma few isolated incidents the area immeidately surrounding Disneyland is fine, it's outside that radius that it's like any other town as far a gangs go.

And again, even the "on property" hotels are actually outside Disneyland and aren't any safer, especially Disneyland Hotel and Paradise Pier which are quite a hike.

• a wind to shake the stars

Are you guys kidding? The area around Disneyland is incredibly safe for a number of reasons. You don't need to be worried about your family's safety. For one, who makes up the population of the area around Disneyland? Yes, that's right, it's tourists, and they're not going to rob you. Beyond that Anaheim PD is going to make sure to keep that area very safe because Disney sure as heck doesn't want its paying customers inconvenienced with crime.

Seriously, I'd say that your chances of getting robbed by another guest are higher than they are getting mugged in/around the Disneyland area. Prove me wrong if you must but I'd appreciate links to actual, you know, crimes that really occurred instead of just vague "it's dangerous" rhetoric.

Anyway, that said, stay offsite. I stayed at the Tropicana Inn last trip and it was really a pretty nice hotel for about $120 a night. It was also incredibly close to the parks, maybe as close as you can get, and the convenience is great. It took about 20 minutes, round trip, to go back to the hotel which is as good as it gets. I don't have a family so we mostly used the room for sleeping, showering, and getting ready.

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    To be honest, I think it makes a lot more difference in Walt Disney World in Florida than it does here in California. You will pay a lot less at a non-Disney hotel. If you get a hotel right across the street, or around the corner on Katella, you really won't have a long walk. In some cases, you'll have a shorter walk than the Disneyland Hotel or the Paradise Pier Hotel. You'll also have cheaper choices for breakfast.
    While the amenities may be nicer - and prettier at the Disney hotels, if you don't plan on spending much time at the hotel except for sleeping, I'd stay off property.

Exactly, WDW is a whole other experience and we stayed on-site for both of our visits. I can't see doing it any other way to be honest but I know that there are those that would beg to differ. For Disneyland, as a local I have stayed once at each of the 3 resort hotels just to experience them each once and 2 of the 3 were at very resonable AP rates a few years ago and significantly lower than what you can get today. If I were planning a multi-day trip there is no way I would pay to stay in DL hotels multiple days. That's one of the big problems with DL...there isn't a true value resort option like WDW. Value here is a non DL hotel.

Just for fun, I looked at the second week in June for Paradise Pier, 2 nights is $780 (Park View)
    2 Nights at PP at a non peak week in September is $480.
    Both of these are mid week. You will likely get much, much better rates anywhere offsite.
    Last edited by stevek; 05-28-2013 at 03:00 PM.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The International View Post
    Are you guys kidding? The area around Disneyland is incredibly safe for a number of reasons. You don't need to be worried about your family's safety.
    Having an additional level of Disney security on property makes zero difference, they are unarmed. As far as I know Disney doesn't have armed police officers on property, but the offsite hotels probably have cruisers pass by.

• ...and the Flowers Croon

Quote Originally Posted by The International View Post
    Are you guys kidding? The area around Beyond that Anaheim PD is going to make sure to keep that area very safe because Disney sure as heck doesn't want its paying customers inconvenienced with crime.
    Bingo. Neither the city of Anaheim nor DLR benefit if the tourists fall victim to crime. Crime creates a bad reputation and can literally tank a tourist area (I lived in San Francisco for many years, and witnessed this first-hand).

Safe on Harbor? I sure think so.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBirdsSingWords View Post
    Bingo. Neither the city of Anaheim nor DLR benefit if the tourists fall victim to crime. Crime creates a bad reputation and can literally tank a tourist area (I lived in San Francisco for many years, and witnessed this first-hand).

Safe on Harbor? I sure think so.
    I worked in or around downtown Anaheim from 1992-2006 and while there were isolated incidents around our office, I never felt scared or worried about the areas I was in...especially in the Harbor Blvd area around Disneyland. It's all about being aware of your surroundings. Would I go too far east or west on Katella? No, but I would feel very safe with my family in the general Disneyland area on Harbor Blvd/Katella/Ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    A word of caution though; for those of you who are thinking of a 'one night splurge' in conjunction with your offsite stay, be careful because you may just find that you NEVER want to stay offsite again. That's what happened to DH & I a few years ago when we spent a 'last night' at the Grand, and what happened to my BFF when she & I went in February for our '2 crazy girls trip'! She'd never stayed onsite, fretted about the cost when we booked our stay, and shouted 'Now I get it!' after the first night!
    I never WANT to stay offsite because the DLR hotels are nicer overall than the good neighbor hotels and I like being in the Disney bubble during my stay. That's why we will likely never stay offsite at WDW. That being said, DLR resorts are not what some may consider affordable so there are very good and safe options in the area.

I asked a similar question on the other DL message board and got similar answers to what you've been given. We live in San Diego County, and have gone up to DL many times. We've stayed (years ago) at a couple of the now-razed-and-under-DCA-blacktop motels, the Jolly Roger, the Best Western Stovall's, and Tratel/CC Camperland (RV park on South Harbor Blvd, though we haven't stayed there in 36 years!).

We looked into two nights at the Disneyland Hotel -- well over $375/night for each room regular rate, though I managed to get them down about $100 to $275/night military rate.

Talking with our family members, we decided to give another hotel a try for our late-July trip this summer. Candy Cane Inn was recommended to me by a friend who has an AP and comes up 3 or 4 times a year.

Donna
    1967, 1973, 1977 - DLR (RV parks)
    1980-1984 - DLR (multiple single days or at now-defunct motels)
    1994 - DLR (off-site hotel)
    2007 - DLR (single day)
    2008, 2009 - DLR (BW Stovall's)
    2012 - WDW (PopC)
    2013 - DLR (Candy Cane Inn)

We rarely stay onsite in Anaheim. We find the rooms to be nicely themed, but cramped and overpriced. Lately we have been staying further out on Harbor blvd. and parking at the Toy Story lot. The bus from there is quick and easy.
    " Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed"
    G.K Chesterson

I grew up in OC, and I've never had a problem in the areas around Disneyland. I recommend Alpine Inn (it's owned by relatives) or Hotel Menage (my friends work there!).

My best score ever!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast