Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Staying on property vs. off property

Hotel Menage is fun, the pool and hot tub go all night, perfect when you've been on your feet until 1 am.

• Disney Fan 4 Life

We always stay off property, preferring to use the funds elsewhere. We have a 6 year old that we have never felt unsafe with going to and from the resort. We have stayed multiple times at HoJo's, Comfort Inn, Candy Cane Inn, and others. I have stayed a few times at the Grand while the hubby has been to the Disneyland Hotel. The best part of staying at the Grand was the ease of hitting the hotel in the middle of the day and being in the "thick" of things. But the room there was not better than several off property hotels we have been to. If price is a consideration, than you will find several off property hotels/motels that offer good accommodations at a decent price. If you worried about getting too and fro from the parks, try the Candy Cane Inn. They have their own free shuttle to the parks, tend to be very lenient with parking before and after checking in, as well as a continental breakfast. But the Hojo's is a nice property, especially with children (their little pirate water park is so much fun for kids). Comfort Inn on Manchester (around the corner from HoJo's) has a really great breakfast, small pool and is close to a shuttle drop off if your tempted to not walk at the end of the day or the beginning. (the shuttle is right in front of the HoJo's) These are but a small sampling of the options off property, but they are many and varied, depending on your price point and what you need in your accommodations.
    “Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.”

• the rockawho?

maybe i should clarify my words a bit....near disneyland isnt safe (surrounding area), but within the tourist area is generally safe depending what side of disneyland you are on.......only problem within the tourist area is prostitution and bed bugs....

you may not see it, but it is going on.....several hotels and motels had their run in with prostitution...some crack down on it and others look the other way...apd has been trying to crack down on it for years...it is a growing problem

it is always a good idea to be aware of your surroundings

and of course every city has a gang problem...but with recent issues with gangs and the apd...it is always be safe then sorry especially since gangs surround the disneyland area....

i have the statistics on bed bugs that i need to look for, i have it in a paper file somewhere, but city of anaheim was one of the top 5 or 10 cities in california that had a high rate of bed bugs...i got these statistics from the city inspectors that inspect hotels/motels for bed bugs....it makes sense since anaheim is one of the top tourist cities in california

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    I've been going to Disneyland, and walking through this part of Anaheim for more than 40 years. Although it makes sense in any city to keep your eyes open and not walk alone, I have NEVER experienced any unsafe situation walking near the resorts, or felt threatened in any way. While the things EvilROcketeer mentioned may very well occur, to say that they are major or even common problems is more than a bit of an over statement. If you're really concerned, a quick phone call to the Anaheim police department could easily get you the statistics on the crimes in the area. I think you'll find that actual violent crimes are rather rare there.
    a quick phone call to apd wont do anything.....a recent article in the oc register stated that anaheim pd failed to report declining statistics in solving violent crimes to the city council and residents of city of anaheim

it drastically dropped from 73% to 43% in solving violent crimes in the past 5 years....(73% has been noted that it could had been partially inflated)

city council were unaware of the current situation...if they are not willing to tell city council, then im sure they wouldnt be telling tourists about the crime rate

Quote Originally Posted by The International View Post
    Are you guys kidding? The area around Disneyland is incredibly safe for a number of reasons. You don't need to be worried about your family's safety. For one, who makes up the population of the area around Disneyland? Yes, that's right, it's tourists, and they're not going to rob you.
    Prove me wrong if you must but I'd appreciate links to actual, you know, crimes that really occurred instead of just vague "it's dangerous" rhetoric.

any tourist area is a target area for crime...even if the majority of the patrons are tourists...

unfortunately, i cant release the crime statistics on gangs and the map showing the locations of the gangs near disneyland...

some crime statistics that were released in april

• Solved rape cases dropped from 77% in '98-'02 to 42% in the past five years.
    • At least 480 rape cases remain unsolved since 2002.
    • Since 2002, APD's budget has ballooned 60%.
    • Between 2002-2009 staffing levels grew, but crime-solving rates still dropped 30%.
    • APD never reported the declining statistics to the city council nor residents.
    • Most of the violent crime occurs in Anaheim proper (West of the 57 freeway).

prostitution ring at motel 6 on disney way

2 arrested over prostitution ring near Disneyland | UTSanDiego.com

• The doctor is in

There are a lot of homeless people who camp out on bus benches as you get closer to the freeway ramps on Harbor. If you get nervous by this sort of thing it's probably not a good idea to stay in the hotels on that side of the entrance. I passed the same 3-4 homeless people sleeping on the bus bench every night. They never seem to bother people but most people seem to be pretty cautious.
    Merrily on our way to nowhere at all.

• the rockawho?

Near the harbor and the 91 freeway exit is la Palma park.

A ton of homeless people use this park as a shelter and live there. Some are safe and extremely nice

And there have been a few bad ones that are violent, drunk or on drugs and other horrible things. Always be cautious. Sometimes these type of people are easy to spot.

edit: the crown plaza anaheim resort which is located up harbor blvd had a run in with prostitution as well....in 2009, a prostitute was murdered in her hotel room...

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012/...te-in-anaheim/

i strongly recommend researching the hotel or motel you plan on staying at....a thorough search will go a long way....
    Last edited by EvilRocketeer; 05-28-2013 at 10:46 PM.

• Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Thank you all for the very comprehensive answers. I believe we will likely stay off property. True, it will be our once-in-a-lifetime visit to DL (we live in North Central Ohio) but I'd rather spend the money on the experience than on a room we will likely spend minimal time inhabiting. I will definitely heed the warnings and give my hotel choices due dilligence. Many thanks for the specific hotel names... they will be my first look-ups.

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

Once in a lifetime? Stay at the Grand Californian.

A little more $$$, but it's worth it. It's nice, plus it is convenient Don't want to walk around wet all day? Kill an hour and go change. That's a little more difficult to do staying elsewhere.

Beyond the "Disney Experience" there is little benefit to the two other hotels on the property... but the GC is way too convenient not to.

• Minion

I've stayed both off and on property. My vote goes to off property.

Not only are the onsite hotels completely overpriced, the benefits one receives aren't enough for the prices paid. Not to mention, some of the offsite hotels are closer. They're significantly cheaper and nice. Some of them have Disney-themed suites. Offsite is the way to go.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Minion

every year my family and I stay at the GCH for a few nights and absolutely love it. It's a gorgeous hotel, it's convenient, and the perks really do add up.
    Honestly, it's the difference between a trip to a theme park and a true vacation. Staying off-property you won't want to spend time in the room, you'll be doing the parks nonstop...staying on-site (or GCH anyway) allows you to walk back whenever you want to play in the pool, nap, etc especially when the parks get busier and hotter (we are also always sure to book a villa for the extra space and kitchen).
    Also, I never once set foot in the 'real world' during these vacations. Usually our trips to California are pretty long, but DL is always the grand finale because it means done with driving, walking on roads, or seeing anything BUT the Disney magic.

Stay on-site, GCH if possible, and you won't regret it. Villas are the way to go but any place in that gorgeous hotel will make you very happy

• Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

So I accessed my good friend Google Maps - Satellite view. Can you enter and exit the GCH from Downtown Disney? It looks like you can. If that is so, that means about 2/3 of your walk to and from the room would be in the hotel proper and about 1/3 through Downtown Disney to get to the gate. Interesting...

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

• Disneyland Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by Attic Haunt View Post
    So I accessed my good friend Google Maps - Satellite view. Can you enter and exit the GCH from Downtown Disney? It looks like you can. If that is so, that means about 2/3 of your walk to and from the room would be in the hotel proper and about 1/3 through Downtown Disney to get to the gate. Interesting...
    Yes. It is down by Sephora in DTD. I wish they would open up the closer exit by the disney store, but its never been opened that I've seen.

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    every year my family and I stay at the GCH for a few nights and absolutely love it. It's a gorgeous hotel, it's convenient, and the perks really do add up.
    Honestly, it's the difference between a trip to a theme park and a true vacation. Staying off-property you won't want to spend time in the room, you'll be doing the parks nonstop...staying on-site (or GCH anyway) allows you to walk back whenever you want to play in the pool, nap, etc especially when the parks get busier and hotter (we are also always sure to book a villa for the extra space and kitchen).
    Also, I never once set foot in the 'real world' during these vacations. Usually our trips to California are pretty long, but DL is always the grand finale because it means done with driving, walking on roads, or seeing anything BUT the Disney magic.

Stay on-site, GCH if possible, and you won't regret it. Villas are the way to go but any place in that gorgeous hotel will make you very happy
    Even when I am in a Disney hotel my main priority is spending time in the parks. Each time I have stayed onsite I have been in my room only to shower and sleep. That's the case for a majority of guests.
    Merrily on our way to nowhere at all.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by EvilRocketeer View Post
    Anaheim isnt safe near the disneyland area....

there are many gangs nearby....the jeffrey street gang, AVLS, Boys from the Hood, Westwside Anaheim, SSK and Calle Vermont are the local gangs that surround disneyland...

one of the worst gang rapes happened at a hotel right across the street from disneyland....the hotel just shut down a 2 months ago and will become a hyatt (zabys motor lodge)

another ongoing problem is the prostitution.....there are a lot of prostitutes trying to make a quick buck off Harbor Blvd....

most important for hotel guests.....learn the signs of bed bugs....anaheim hotels, motels, inns etc etc has a high rate of bed bug reports....

has anyone experience or seen any of these problems on their trips?
    I have not experienced any of the above. I am quite diligent about safety, and while I have seen the prostitution issues near the convention centers, I have not seen them on Harbor near Disneyland itself. I frequently walk the area between the Hilton adn Disneyland, and Residence Inn Maingate and Disneyland, and have never been concerned for my safety.

As far as the Zaby's comment, can you tell us when this was? I have gone back quite a bit in the police reports, and find no mention of anything like this. Time frame? BTW - I did find a lot of breaking into autos at Zaby's.

Over the past 30 days, I found 34 incidents reported to the police. This includes a DUI on Harbor near between Katella and Disney Way. 14 incidents were on Disney property (4 at DLH, 3 at GCH, 3 at PPH, 3 at the parking structure, and a shoplifting in DTD.) There were also a few "Defrauding the inn keeper" at nearby hotels. The reports for gang violence were further away.

Bed bugs - Never had a problem in 20 years. (Average 2 trips a year the first 10 years, now at one a month.)

Oh, and the few assault cases that came up were assault on a spouse for all but 1.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Attic Haunt View Post
    Thank you all for the very comprehensive answers. I believe we will likely stay off property. True, it will be our once-in-a-lifetime visit to DL (we live in North Central Ohio) but I'd rather spend the money on the experience than on a room we will likely spend minimal time inhabiting. I will definitely heed the warnings and give my hotel choices due dilligence. Many thanks for the specific hotel names... they will be my first look-ups.
    I'll say, if you stay off property, near the parks, it will be SAFE. Don't give that another thought, although if you walk back to your hotel late at night, be alert, that is all. As you should be anywhere late at night.

That said, I live in Southern California, and would enjoy the Grand Californian or Disneyland Hotel as destinations of their own. That's to say, I'd hang out there the whole time if I paid for a room - it's a really relaxing place, restaurants, swimming pools...

But that's because I've seen everything in the parks before. If you want my advice, if you're not going to be ordering cocktails by the pool, don't waste the money on the room.

• the rockawho?

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post

As far as the Zaby's comment, can you tell us when this was? I have gone back quite a bit in the police reports, and find no mention of anything like this. Time frame? BTW - I did find a lot of breaking into autos at Zaby's.

it happened in 2006.. rival gangs were involved.....

At least 10 arrested after gang-rape in Anaheim hotel | gang, retana, schroeder - News - The Orange County Register

a couple of months ago...a woman jumped from a second story balcony to escape a sexual assault by a man she met online...happen at the clarion anaheim hotel

Woman Jumps From Anaheim Hotel Balcony To Escape Sexual Assault « CBS Los Angeles

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast