Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

• DL Vistor Since 1968

Re: Staying on property vs. off property

I never stay onsite. The value just isn't there for me. Of all of the offsite hotels I've stayed at, the Candy Cane Inn is the best.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RosevilleDisfan View Post
    I have stayed both on property and off property many times. My personal opinion is that, in general, I don't feel the DLR hotels offer enough benefits to overcome the high price compared to some of the higher quality off site properties. I personally enjoy the HOJO in a tower room facing the park. The location is as close as onsite property(five minute walk to front gate) These rooms are larger than a DH room have better views of the Fireworks than any other hotel on or off and the beds are super comfy and has a fun pool area. Having said all of that, I think that every few years it is nice to stay on property for a special occasion, like an anniversary, birthday etc.
    I would also like to address some of the posts that seem to be trying to say that the resort area is crime ridden. I have been going to DL for over 35 years, the last 20 as an adult. I have never felt unsafe around the parks. I have walked the entire perimeter of the Resort several times at night and in the early morning by myself and pushing a stroller for some exercise. Yes, I have encountered homeless people along the route a couple of times but they keep to themselves. The City of Anaheim is like any other city and tourists should always be aware of your surroundings but to say that there is a significant crime problem around DL is silly. I think that most of us can think of parts of our hometowns or other cities(Stockton) that are much more dangerous than the area around DLR.
    Funny you should mention Stockton. Driving home to LA one summer night, I was tired and picked STOCKTON to pull off the road for the night. I was attracted to the plethora of motel signs in the sky near the freeway. Didn't care where I slept, in 6 hours I was leaving again and just wanted a bed and a shower.

Early the next morning, I found my car had been broken into (right outside the room in the parking lot) and gone was the only thing to steal: a dark black ski jacket that was on the floor of the passenger side (blending into the dark, how could that have been seen???)

Oh and a little back pack of the dog's treats and toys.

So, yeah, after that I have sworn off Stockton.

I won't even stop for gas in Stockton.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Funny you should mention Stockton. Driving home to LA one summer night, I was tired and picked STOCKTON to pull off the road for the night. I was attracted to the plethora of motel signs in the sky near the freeway. Didn't care where I slept, in 6 hours I was leaving again and just wanted a bed and a shower.

I'm sorry to say that I won't even stop for gas in Stockton.

Early the next morning, I found my car had been broken into (right outside the room in the parking lot) and gone was the only thing to steal: a dark black ski jacket that was on the floor of the passenger side (blending into the dark, how could that have been seen???)

Oh and a little back pack of the dog's treats and toys.

So, yeah, after that I have sworn off Stockton.

I would always love to be able to stay on Disney property but, since all the new remodels, it's near impossible for our family even at the PP. So we have done both, on property and good neighbor. I have a list of those directly across the street and my first 2 options are Best Western Park Place,it is directly across the street from the entrance, in my opinion it is the closest. You do have to pay for parking, but you do get a (free) continental breakfast and the room have been remodeled, nice and clean and the rates are better than HoJo. However our second choice is HoJo, they have nice clean rooms, multiple pools/kids water park area and free parking, however it is further away, no free continental breakfast and now more expensive than Park Place. My advice if it is make it or break it for the trip, stay across the street and enjoy spending time in the park and $$ for souvenirs/food.

• Nor Cal AP'er

I always stay off-site, for the prices of a few nights stay in the DL Hotels is usually my budget for my entire trip, Ive stayed at the Hojo (when they had the retro-rates) and its a very nice place AND they don't charge for parking either (like some places do across the park hotels do) Ive also stayed the Maingate Econo-Lodge over by I5,its a nice little place and its really inexpensive (with AAA discount)

But if Im driving down then I stay over by my usual place down by Knott's and since Ive been a loyal customer I never pay more than 50.00 a night and there is no extra fee's like occupancy,tourism tax etc like they charge around the parks!

I can't justify paying allot for a place I'm only gonna to sleep and shower in,the hundreds I save can be spent on stuff and food.
    I am a Annual Pass Holder and I'm better than you! lol!

I am glad to read these posts! I have always stayed on property at WDW this is our first trip to DL and I decided to stay off property just because it didn't seem as necessary as WDW. I actually did Travelocity "Top Secret" hotels and I got the Holiday Inn and Suites that is next to Downtown Disney for 81 a night and they gave me 10% off all of our park tickets! I guess I'll find out if it was a good decision in October

I used to be somebody who thought staying on-property was a MUST! The Disneyland Hotel was our main choice - no second thoughts. At the last D23 convention we stayed at the Tropicana (we went with Disney vets who had always stayed there)... and we absolutely LOVED it! SUPER close to the parks (way closer than the Disneyland Hotel...!) mini fridge and microwave in every room so we could save money on breakfast each day, and really comfortable beds! Also - I am somebody who is scared to go to the corner store at night (IN MY OWN NEIGHBORHOOD!!!) and I NEVER felt unsafe walking to and from the parks late at night when we stayed at the Tropicana.

For me - the property hotels offer the "immersive" experience, but are probably not worth the money. Its great to be able to enter DCA through the Grand California gate - but seeing as how Disneyland was usually our morning choice and DCA closes earlier than Disneyland, we rarely used this feature. You can enjoy all of the beautiful parts of the hotel, without being a guest... take a mid-day break and go hang out in the lobby and eat at the Story Teller's Cafe!

I would take the money you save from staying in an off-site hotel and put it towards something special in the parks (reservations for the Fantasmic dessert package would be my suggestion.... BEST THING EVER!!!)

• Selfie Expert

We almost always stay off property at the Anabella. It's nice, clean, and an easy walk. This past February, we stayed at GCH. We only booked our stay there because we saved over 50% off the normal price, making it affordable, and since we were going for Dapper Day we were going to be wearing not-so-park-friendly attire and wanted the convenience factor for breaks and attire changes. The room was honestly no better than the rooms I've had at the Anabella, so I didn't feel like I had any kind of theming. The lobby is beautiful, but that's available to the public so not really anything I gain by paying for a stay there.

That being said, I've booked the GCH for our next visit in September, but it's for the exact same reasons as last time.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

More wonderful advice. I keep swinging back and forth. I think the ultimate decision will be based on if this vacation ends up being a "pure Disney" experience or a destination vacation with other parks included. A Disney only will probably mean we splurge on a Disney hotel. A multi-park experience will probably see us at an off property hotel.

(I hear some of you now... "There are other parks?!?)

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fiveisaparty View Post
    I am glad to read these posts! I have always stayed on property at WDW this is our first trip to DL and I decided to stay off property just because it didn't seem as necessary as WDW. I actually did Travelocity "Top Secret" hotels and I got the Holiday Inn and Suites that is next to Downtown Disney for 81 a night and they gave me 10% off all of our park tickets! I guess I'll find out if it was a good decision in October
    Welcome to MiceChat, and have an excellent trip! It's always fun to get a FIRST TIME trip report from a WDW veteran.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RosevilleDisfan View Post
    I won't even stop for gas in Stockton.

Wow. I wonder how many people driving down from NorCal or Oregon etc. think Stockton is a safe place to stay overnight, and then worry when they get to Anaheim.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Attic Haunt View Post
    More wonderful advice. I keep swinging back and forth. I think the ultimate decision will be based on if this vacation ends up being a "pure Disney" experience or a destination vacation with other parks included. A Disney only will probably mean we splurge on a Disney hotel. A multi-park experience will probably see us at an off property hotel.

(I hear some of you now... "There are other parks?!?)
    That totally makes sense! I recall someone up north telling me they had never been to LA, just "Anaheim". I asked them why, they said that LA frightened them and even though they'd never been, they didn't want to explore it.

So there are different kinds of people and "one size fits all" isn't going to work here.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post

Wow. I wonder how many people driving down from NorCal or Oregon etc. think Stockton is a safe place to stay overnight, and then worry when they get to Anaheim.
    I not only buy gas in Stockton, I live there and have for over 30 years. I'm in no hurry to move.
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.
    2014 so far: 5751 miles, 319,000 feet

I now just stay at the Hyatt and take the shuttle over. During the recession, I stayed on property, but the room smelled of mildew. DL Hotel cost me $150 a night then. I had to change rooms a couple of times to find one less bad. Now, I just can't justify the price. You end up paying too much for too little value. One night at a DL hotel is like an entire week at a national park.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345