• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Question What exactly happens during an evacuation inside of Space Mountain now?

So I was at Disneyland yesterday covering several of the special/new offerings at the resort. My boyfriend and I got fastpasses for Space Mountain.

Not long after starting our descent through the main show building, I could hear a semi-far-away announcement voice and I knew there was some sort of breakdown. This kept continuing on, but our rocket continued it's ride. I kept bracing myself for a sudden stop, but it wasn't happening. Finally we got to the photo location (I think we were at brake 14?) and we stopped. I could finally hear the announcement more clearly and we were told to remain seated and wait for a cast member to assist us.We were sitting in the dark for a short period with the disorienting lights (spooky!) until someone came on the PA and warned us that they would be turning the lights on. We saw that there was a rocket in front of us several feet away. The CMs arrived, went through their motions to unlock the rocket from it's position and then run it back into continuing back to the loading station, and then they did the same thing with our rocket.

What surprised me was the fact that they instantly loaded our rocket with the next group pf guests, even though the ride was still broken down and even though they had announced over the ride's PA to people waiting in line that it would be broken down for an unknown period of time.

I figure someone that is a member of this board knows something of the new protocol. I am only guessing this, but I wonder if they essentially force all of the rockets in the main room to finish their journey now. I know they can't really unload people in the main building anymore (or at least that is my understanding). But - why did they automatically load the rocket I was in with guests waiting? Wouldn't they need to reset the attraction by sending all of the rockets through empty? And does anyone know how many rockets can run down the track in the main show building?

I suppose it's not really that important that I know, but with all of the changes implemented, I am admittedly curious.

• Light up the HALO!

Re: What exactly happens during an evacuation inside of Space Mountain now?

I saw the same exact thing last December. A cascade occurred and CMs continued to load rockets while the lights were on. I think they have done it this way for a long time and CMs only evacuate guest when the breakdown is not caused by a break zone intrusion or something that can be easily reset.

I believe Space Mountain can have five or six rockets inside the show building at a time.
    As we say to the animals, that's the end of the lion.

RACE THROUGH THE UNIVERSE, CAREEN THROUGH THE STARS.

Space Mountain

In Jan we stopped in the middle of the ride. When we got back to the queue they said we could get off or go again. We went again. No one new got on but a few got off.

• Hot FIRE!

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
    So I was at Disneyland yesterday covering several of the special/new offerings at the resort. My boyfriend and I got fastpasses for Space Mountain.

Not long after starting our descent through the main show building, I could hear a semi-far-away announcement voice and I knew there was some sort of breakdown. This kept continuing on, but our rocket continued it's ride. I kept bracing myself for a sudden stop, but it wasn't happening. Finally we got to the photo location (I think we were at brake 14?) and we stopped. I could finally hear the announcement more clearly and we were told to remain seated and wait for a cast member to assist us.We were sitting in the dark for a short period with the disorienting lights (spooky!) until someone came on the PA and warned us that they would be turning the lights on. We saw that there was a rocket in front of us several feet away. The CMs arrived, went through their motions to unlock the rocket from it's position and then run it back into continuing back to the loading station, and then they did the same thing with our rocket.

What surprised me was the fact that they instantly loaded our rocket with the next group pf guests, even though the ride was still broken down and even though they had announced over the ride's PA to people waiting in line that it would be broken down for an unknown period of time.

I figure someone that is a member of this board knows something of the new protocol. I am only guessing this, but I wonder if they essentially force all of the rockets in the main room to finish their journey now. I know they can't really unload people in the main building anymore (or at least that is my understanding). But - why did they automatically load the rocket I was in with guests waiting? Wouldn't they need to reset the attraction by sending all of the rockets through empty? And does anyone know how many rockets can run down the track in the main show building?

I suppose it's not really that important that I know, but with all of the changes implemented, I am admittedly curious.
    Nothing changed as far I know regarding a downtime via a RCS (Ride Cascade Stop). Rockets don't need to be sent through empty but usually it's the rockets in zone 15 and 14 (the long stretch where your picture is taken) that are emptied out of guests. they're loaded or not loaded depending on how many rockets are stuck in the show building part. the capacity needs to go down to 6 rockets in order to reset the mountain because there's 6 spots in the station. 6 is usually how many are inside at a time while there CAN be (but shouldn't be) 6 parked in the station area (4-5 max is what happens).

Your rocket was loaded because it was probably going to be the 1st rocket to dispatch once the ride was fixed and ready to start again. Any rocket in zone 13 and back can stay seated and re-ride since they didn't technically finish the ride. this is the norm for a cascade...now for an E-Stop, it's a whole other story...but that's for another thread!

...As I see it