Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• California Adventurer...

Red Face What is with the Space queue?

The exterior, that is. It's so oddly put together.

First you walk all the way down the long alleyway and up a ramp. Than you go along the outside portion and there's this giant open courtyard in which the line surrounds. I don't really understand why it was built this way, or at least renovated to look like this. It seems like a giant waste of space with the current layout. Could anyone with more knowledge of past SM ride refurbs explain why it's currently set up the way it is?

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Re: What is with the Space queue?

That's the roof to the theatre below which shows Captain EO. It's not strong enough to support the weight of a crowd of people standing on top of it. It has always been an open empty space. And that's why you see CMs freaking out sometimes when guests wander into that area.

Plus the speedramp used to remove the walk back underneath and the ramp up to the roof.
    I believe I chose the life of a tomb raider, because
    I'm addicted to the excitement that comes when life hangs in the balance.
    Famous last words.

Not sure, but the inside used to have an open area where you could actually see the ride, now its a big wall in the main room where the loading dock is (that used to be open to see inside). Also The People Mover used to go through that part. It was pretty cool. I like it better now with the audio, but it was kind of cool back then as well. Im sure someone with more expertise can elaborate on this.

The original queue was the long indoor portion that you walk through after the Fastpass checkpoint. The ride was built before the days of Fastpass. Since that indoor portion doesn't have room for two different queues, they moved the standby queue outside. This is the same thing that happened with Indy's indoor queue.

It turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Standing in these indoor queues to both those attractions are horrible affairs. They were stuffy, dark and horribly claustrophobic. On busy days, the smell of all the sweaty people was intolerable, and if the ride unexpectedly broke down you'd basically be stuck with no information and no way out. I have nightmares from the old days of being trapped in the indoor portion of both those queues.

Nowadays you can just treat them as a walk-through portion of the attraction, and the wait is much better, with the sunshine, fresh air and people activity.

• Senior Minion

Yeah, it has gone through several changes that have left it kind of strange. Originally there was a speed ramp which went up to the second level near the big stone ball out front. The was no roof over what's now the theater and there was an outdoor theater venue. First the theater was enclosed. The speed ramp wasn't taken out until the 90's. Then they made the changes for FP and changed the queue bit more on the inside during the 2005 renovation. The viewing windows into the ride were in the second indoor hallway before the loading station room and I still miss those. The rockets had orange glow in the dark stickers on the sides and looked really cool whizzing by.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Banned User

Blog Entries

In the future, things will be laid out in an unpredictable fashion.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    That's actually probably a more realistic view of the future then the returning to the cohesive aesthetics of the land in the past. I don't mean that we should have poorly laid out queues or in some kind of pessimistic way. I just mean I think that the mid-century vision of building brand new cities is an outdated concept. The reality is that our cities in the future are going to be our current cities modernized. I'd actually love to see a TL that felt more realistic where there is futuristic architecture mixed with classical, modern and post-modern styles. This would represent a much more realistic contemporary view of the city of the future and become a place that would feel like a real place again.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

I saw a picture on mouse wait or instagram when Space first opened and there were plenty of people in the middle area.

If the area is unstable the should consider a small renovation and use the space.

Also I miss when you could hear and see the ride going by as you were in the inner queue.

• ...and the Flowers Croon

Quote Originally Posted by Cjedwards44 View Post
    Also I miss when you could hear and see the ride going by as you were in the inner queue.
    Me too! It was awesome to see the rockets whiz by and hear all the screams. Frustrating, though, because you weren't really close to the front of the line yet, but it felt like you should be.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    That is largely what has happened. Disneyland is old, small and everything new has been squeezed in. It's has a tree fort design.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Funny story - Tokyo's still has the speedramp. The bulk of the queue is held in a very tight area under the speedramp so that Fastpass can bypass the standby queue. Once you go up the speedramp, it's a familiar walk into the mountain and into the launch bay.
    I believe I chose the life of a tomb raider, because
    I'm addicted to the excitement that comes when life hangs in the balance.
    Famous last words.

• The doctor is in

I hate the standby queue for Space Mountain so I choose to never use it.
    I wish Frozen would have never been made.

• Banned User

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    That is largely what has happened. Disneyland is old, small and everything new has been squeezed in. It's has a tree fort design.
    Ahh, but what a fascinating, imaginative and lovingly crafted tree fort, one that's never been improved upon despite several good efforts.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Cjedwards44 View Post
    I saw a picture on mouse wait or instagram when Space first opened and there were plenty of people in the middle area.

If the area is unstable the should consider a small renovation and use the space.

That's impossible. When Space first opened the theater was an outdoor theater with no roof. The roof wasn't added until they started showing 3D movies in there. I can't remember if it was for Captain EO or if it was for Magic Journeys before that.

They could strengthen the roof if they wanted to. But that would mean either installing support columns inside the theatre or tearing off the roof and reinforcing the walls and then putting on a new roof. Either way its a lot cheaper just to have the queue sit on top of the more supported periphery of the theater.

And I also miss being able to see the inside of the ride from the indoor queue area.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast