Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Re: Rude Guest at Haunted Mansion

If I am allowed to be quite honest here, I am not sure what to be more surprised about. The fact that people would talk so loudly and rudely, ruining the experience for others or the lengths some would go to shut them up/make them go away, sometimes even going beyond what I think is really necessary and even putting blame on those who do not deserve it entirely.

Total Tender Rides: 20
    Total Lilly Belle Rides: 9
    Total Dapper Days Attended: 2
    Total Mark Twain Wheelhouse Rides: 5

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORDDU: It's possible to feel like a kid and still not be obnoxious to those around you. When out in public, everyone needs to realize that they have to edit themselves or else things end up being--exactly like what so many are complaining about. If your desire to be yourself is more important to you than being considerate of others, then you can lay no claim to being polite, considerate or empathetic towards others.
    Very well said!
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Hello Dolly.

ORDDU: It's possible to feel like a kid and still not be obnoxious to those around you. When out in public, everyone needs to realize that they have to edit themselves or else things end up being--exactly like what so many are complaining about. If your desire to be yourself is more important to you than being considerate of others, then you can lay no claim to being polite, considerate or empathetic towards others.
    The problem with that is, apparently with their being proof on this page already, is that most people are not even aware of being "rude" to others. If you expect everyone around you to cater to your needs and expectations, then you aren't being polite either.

That's why I don't let people ruin my experience because I think it's obvious to tell whether someone really is trying to be rude or just not aware. Maybe the one being annoyed is rude as well as they seen to pick up on common human traits to disrupt their experience instead of taking life as it is and enjoying a rare-experience for many.

If you are truly annoyed by something, you will say something. Or you're supporting that annoying person because he will continue to be annoying. Holding it in just sounds like that individual is irritated by something that's not going their way, yet in a public themepark.

Quote Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
    If I am allowed to be quite honest here, I am not sure what to be more surprised about. The fact that people would talk so loudly and rudely, ruining the experience for others or the lengths some would go to shut them up/make them go away, sometimes even going beyond what I think is really necessary and even putting blame on those who do not deserve it entirely.
    exactly! It seems the slight chance you are human, with explosive excitement or love for certain attractions by repeating lines, some will just use that moment to jump on you. I simply think some forget what it's like to see any Disney park as a rare-experience.

I myself don't like when things don't go my way on rides, but I do actually understand why people are doing what they are doing and that this isn't MY ride. Like I said, if it's not malicious I'm not going to let it ruin my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by cromag View Post
    Thats awesome. If more people would simply speak up against this behavior while its happening and call them out on how rude they are, the less it would happen.
    ^
    yes! simple solution... speak up! but while speaking up don't turn into what annoys you.
    Last edited by BlAcKoUt510; 05-29-2013 at 04:29 PM.

• Disney Fan 4 Life

Quote Originally Posted by SunsetLament View Post
    Disney should an include a letter with the renewed annual passes specifically requesting people stop behaving this way. They won't, but they should.
    I think assuming that this is the AP segment is a bit prejudicial. The multiple AP holders I know would never do that. Rude is rude, no matter what they used to get in. Unless every single person you ever saw as rude on this ride had their AP out to be seen, than one can never know how the rude person paid to get in.
    Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy.

“To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.” - Walt Disney, Disneyland Opening Day Speech 1955

View my new Budget Disney Blog here: http://budgetdisneylandresort.blogspot.com/

• A Happy Haunt

So here I say... Lighten up. People enjoy themselves different than you. Big deal. A little volume is their way of having a good time, yours is stoic silence... It's all good.
    We shouldn't be so petty to have such conversations. We are all there to enjoy ourselves, in our own way.

i am not annoyed by those who recite the script, and frankly, if that is what it takes to get your fun all messed up, maybe it's time for a dole whip.

now that's what annoys me, one dole whip counter!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Darkwingdolt View Post
    So here I say... Lighten up. People enjoy themselves different than you. Big deal. A little volume is their way of having a good time, yours is stoic silence... It's all good.
    We shouldn't be so petty to have such conversations. We are all there to enjoy ourselves, in our own way.

i am not annoyed by those who recite the script, and frankly, if that is what it takes to get your fun all messed up, maybe it's time for a dole whip.

now that's what annoys me, one dole whip counter!
    But the issue is not "little volume." It is people screaming obnoxiously or cussing at the top their lungs to get attention from the crowd that is the main source of the frustration.

It is just plain rude; but, in all fairness you really cannot control this sort of behavior. I agree with going to HM at a different time or letting that obnoxious group pass and onto a more "mature" group to take their place.

At least one other Dole Whip counter somewhere please! If they are willing to put in a "Starbucks"; I am sure they can carve out a nitch for one!

It totally gets on my nerves when they start making scary noises. They end up making kids cry.

• Hello Dolly.

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    But the issue is not "little volume." It is people screaming obnoxiously or cussing at the top their lungs to get attention from the crowd that is the main source of the frustration.
    I agree that is a problem but do really that many guest do that? or I must be more relaxed at parks than I thought. Certainly people who recite lines aren't yelling them out. I feel like there must be some situations where the annoyed is just annoyed by anything. I might hear a scream or two in the HM, but that always happens usually for a second or two. Many people even laugh, but I can see (not specifically towards anyone) many people not joining in on the laugh bing the ones who are always annoyed and pestered through-out the parks these days in age due to their own preferences on how a park should be appreciated. I want a quiet ride on HM, but I'm one in a million and I know I'm not going to get it all the time so I'll just enjoy it anyways.

There's a clear line between what's actually rude and what a guest wants everyone to do, just depends on the situation I guess. I'm glad I haven't had to experience too many rude guest I guess, though the ones I have I let them know politely and didn't allow it to ruin anything. I'm just hoping people are not getting upset off the little things that are not going their way. Everyone is just... different, at least I know I'm respectful to the guests and park and won't let them turn me into something hateful.

Quote Originally Posted by BlAcKoUt510 View Post
    I agree that is a problem but do really that many guest do that? or I must be more relaxed at parks than I thought. Certainly people who recite lines aren't yelling them out. I feel like there must be some situations where the annoyed is just annoyed by anything. I might hear a scream or two in the HM, but that always happens usually for a second or two. Many people even laugh, but I can see (not specifically towards anyone) many people not joining in on the laugh bing the ones who are always annoyed and pestered through-out the parks these days in age due to their own preferences on how a park should be appreciated. I want a quiet ride on HM, but I'm one in a million and I know I'm not going to get it all the time so I'll just enjoy it anyways.

There's a clear line between what's actually rude and what a guest wants everyone to do, just depends on the situation I guess. I'm glad I haven't had to experience too many rude guest I guess, though the ones I have I let them know politely and didn't allow it to ruin anything. I'm just hoping people are not getting upset off the little things that are not going their way. Everyone is just... different, at least I know I'm respectful to the guests and park and won't let them turn me into something hateful.
    I was going to say pretty much the same thing. I go on HM at a minimum of twice per visit, and often 3 or 4 times, and I've never had this experience. From the descriptions I've read here, it sounds horribly annoying and like something that would really tick me off. But I've never encountered that myself. Maybe it's because I just don't visit as often as others or always try to visit on less crowded days. Or maybe I have experienced this, and I just didn't notice or think it was that bad? Not really sure.
    Last edited by Steveman; 05-29-2013 at 06:44 PM.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BlAcKoUt510 View Post

No, usually just a few (unless it is Grad Nite). However, whether it is one or twenty doing it, whether it is once or every time, it is always considered rude to other guests who just want to enjoy the experience. I am totally fine with a bit of chatting amongst family members, but when it elevates to loud commentary, loud screaming, or loud cussing, they are clearly being rude to others. This topic is not just limited to the Haunted Mansion, of course. On Star Tours, my younger brother always has to yell a comment after every line C3PO says on the ride, and this is irritating because I want to appreciate the attraction without someone's loud commentary. Save that for after the ride on the bench or on the internet, and not during an experience that someone may have waited a long time for. Selflessness is what people in our society need.
    Last edited by frollofan; 05-29-2013 at 06:59 PM.

• Minion

normally I just hear a baby crying cus it's dark and scary.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Acpisme View Post
    I think assuming that this is the AP segment is a bit prejudicial. The multiple AP holders I know would never do that. Rude is rude, no matter what they used to get in. Unless every single person you ever saw as rude on this ride had their AP out to be seen, than one can never know how the rude person paid to get in.
    This. 100%!!! Many APs I know consider themselves "guardians" of the park and try to take care of it, and that includes minding their manners.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

•   
    • Minion

This. Tenfold.

I guess I feel about this the way I do about people who have to sing along loudly at concerts to the point of drowning out the singer: I am there to hear the professional entertainment, not the off-key fans.

And Ordu really said this perfectly. None of us is an island and when we're out in public, enjoying a shared experience, our behavior does affect others. None of us are going to be perfect but we can be mindful. And it's entirely possible to enjoy the HM without ruining it for everyone else.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Neither maturity or consideration are the products of age. I have witnessed rude behavior on the attraction by all age groups. Some were probably AP's. Others were not. That does not matter.

This reminds me of a small speech given by the musician Stephen Stills at one of his concerts many decades ago. It was given before he began an acoustic set & I remember it quite well. (It has been sanitized for this family forum and is paraphrased but very close to his exact words.)

" I appreciate how some of you like to sing and dance to my songs. The guy behind you didn't pay a lot of money to hear you sing off key & shake your ***. He paid a lot of money to hear me sing & shake my ***. So sit down & shut...up."

In a similar manner, other guests have not paid to hear your version of the Ghost Host. The narrative is an integral part of the attraction. Denying another the possibility of enjoying the entire attraction is simply selfish. There are plenty of places in the park to scream to your heart's content and act as childish as one could possibly desire and nobody would care. You could scream through the entire ride at BTMRR, with no problem from anyone. The HM is just not one of those attractions.
    Skiddley Whiffers is a cruel mistress; cold and unforgiving.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast