Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Re: Rude Guest at Haunted Mansion

Quote Originally Posted by OliviaVonDrake View Post
    I just took a look at the "Main Street Elite" tumblr... pretty creepy if you ask me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeth View Post
    I agree, I also just took a look at the tumblr. It does seem a bit creepy...
    Really? I just see Disney fans. No different to me than the "goth kids" I've seen in pictures taken in the park.

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

Quote Originally Posted by Wall to Wall Creep View Post
    You could always think of it this way...

That's how they enjoy Disneyland.

Sure, they impede on your enjoyment. If you had it your way, you'd be impeding on their enjoyment. Who has a greater importance of enjoyment?

Here's the solution: ride it again later and roll the dice on which group of 30 people you'll be stuck with. Or ride it first thing in the morning, or at night. Either of those times, you'll be the only one there.
    There are times when the crowds at DL are more unruly than others. Perhaps we should discuss our findings here to derive some guidelines for when to go with more polite crowds. Not 100% perfect but all we can do now is to try to go when the probability of unruliness is less. I can start by saying that the blocked out days tend to be better. Just my opiniion based on ad hoc observations.

Does anyone else have observations? I'll bet that rainy days are more tame.

Quote Originally Posted by mksgrist View Post
    I might have an answer....but not a solution. It boils down to a current problem we have in society... Lack of courtesy and consideration for others! It's grown rampant in our country! We seem to live in a time where people think, "It's all about me!" and who cares about anybody else. Others are NOT even considered. I'm sure we've all been in the HM a zillion times and know the script by heart. BUT, what about that youngster who's never been on the ride? Shouldn't he/she have a right to experience that ride it's it's original form? What about those from out of state or even from out of the country? They might of saved their money for years just to go to Disneyland... Should their experience be tarnished because a bunch of "Self important" twits think it's fun to add THEIR OWN twist or dialog? Think about it.....

Well SAID best yet

They are all really cool people. Down to earth! They all love Disney. Just another way of having a club. EFFE!!

• Observer

ive been in the stretching room with that group.... they are rowdy

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by johnlawwhiskey View Post
    Baby's do cry, that's true. But coming from someone who did in home child care starting at age 11, taught preschool, and taught Sunday School, the parent do make the difference. I have been at Pizza Port, sitting at a table next to infant twins who were quiet the entire time (three months old) and I have been sitting at a table next to six and seven months old who scream for forty five minutes. The parents are the determining factor. There are parents that come prepared for their child with crayons, foods the child will eat, change their child in advance of a meal, etc. And then there are the parents who don't give a rats what their child does and let their child scream for 45 minutes straight while they ignore their child, talk to the rest of their family, and talk on their cell phone as if the child was not there.

Parents have different levels of personal responsibility based on the type of parent they are. There are some parents who are attentive to their child all the time and then there are parents who ignore their children. You see this all the time at Disneyland and DCA. We were in line for Toy Story Mania one day and there was a parent in line with her five year old daughter, they were playing rock, paper, scissors, tic tac toe, eating granola bars, and drinking juice. Then there was a parent when we were in line for Winnie The Pooh who was on the cell phone, and her three year old took off, literally. I watched the child take off, and I told the mom, she said "I'm on the phone" and ignored it. I kept an eye on the child. The child got out of line, went into the Winnie The Pooh gift shop, came out, and was over on the side where Eeyore is watching the costume characters. The mom gets off her cell phone and then freaks out about where is her daughter, and I tell her where her daughter is, and she goes over and picks up her daughter, brings the daughter back to line, and gets right back on the cell phone, the daughter takes off again. We got on the ride, so I don't know if she ever officially lost her kid, or if she was just too involved with whatever couldn't wait on her cell phone.
    I don't disagree - I think I called out bad parents in my original post.

One of the places I worked when I was younger was a theater. We would have parents who would come in and do absolutely nothing when their kids talked, screamed, cried or otherwise were disruptive during the performance. We would always send the ushers to remove them - no warnings; out into the lounge until the kid shut up - and they would always be defensive and totally bewildered. And then on the other end of the spectrum we would have parents who would bring in kids who had obviously been prepared in advance for the experience, who sat with their hands folded in their laps for the whole show and saved their questions for intermission. It's parenting, there, and perhaps sensitivity of what your own kid is able to handle.

However, when I hear a crying kid in the stretching room, I do know that the baby isn't doing out of any thought of inconsideration to others - it's not even conscious of that yet. I might seriously question why a parent would think the Haunted Mansion would be appropriate for their infant and think that is bad parenting - but it's not a lapse of manners on the infant's part, the way it is when the adults don't mind their manners in the HM.
    Last edited by Malina; 05-30-2013 at 05:27 PM.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Here's my idea...

What if you got a random spiel for the Stretching Room, like, say, 8 different spiels so that you had to listen to see what would happen. Like Tower of Terror or Indy having random elements... People who scream would never know which special one they got!

But I like people who sing Pirates -- I bet I could make words come up on my smart device and sing along.
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

I have to admit that I didn't even know there was a recorded scream in the stretching room after the reveal until I got my AP four years ago. I am a local (live about 80 minutes away) and was pretty much an annual visitor to the park since I was a little kid (hell, my dad and his family went there opening month; I just uploaded some of the footage on YouTube).

But since I can remember people have been reciting dialogue and screaming after the reveal--so much so that I didn't remember the recorded scream. Now that I go about twice a month instead of once a year, I will get a group that is less interactive and you can hear it.

To me, this is kind of like attending a showing of Rocky Horror Picture Show. We might want to have everyone sit down and shut up, but the reality is the people have taken this particular attraction and made it inter an interactive experience. I'm okay with it--and I don't even do it.

• Cunning infiltrator

The best way to experience the Haunted Mansion again is to ride the attraction at near midnight when the park is closing or always at night when Fantasmic! is performing, then there would be no rowdy guests and/or unruly teenagers.

For all your Furry/Anthro needs!
    http://www.second-ed.com/

Highly recommended Furry/Anthro list:
    http://belfrycomics.net/
    http://furaffinity.net/

Quote Originally Posted by loungefly97 View Post
    To me, this is kind of like attending a showing of Rocky Horror Picture Show. We might want to have everyone sit down and shut up, but the reality is the people have taken this particular attraction and made it inter an interactive experience.
    I think I have a solution. Perhaps at certain times of the year, there could be two lines. One line for those who are experiencing the ride for the first time (or want to experience it that way) and another for those who want to "sing-along". The CMs could pull from the lines depending on demand or if this is just a Limited Time Magic type of opportunity one of the stretching rooms could be reserved for enhanced Guest participation.

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

I don't mind people reciting the whole ghost host spiel (as long as it's not overly obnoxious). It's the darn blood curling screams when the lights go out that annoys the *BLEEPING* heck out of me! I didn't decide to go on the HM to get my eardrums blown out!

• Cunning infiltrator

Yeah and don't forget some guests shouting stupid things like "Who touched my butt! and/or "Who groped me!?" Forcing everyone to laugh their a** off during the scene! It bothers me to no end! I wanted to cover my ears but I didn't want to!

For all your Furry/Anthro needs!
    http://www.second-ed.com/

Highly recommended Furry/Anthro list:
    http://belfrycomics.net/
    http://furaffinity.net/

• Seeker of Fun

Again, common decency and manners thrown out the window.
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ltfan View Post
    I think I have a solution. Perhaps at certain times of the year, there could be two lines. One line for those who are experiencing the ride for the first time (or want to experience it that way) and another for those who want to "sing-along". The CMs could pull from the lines depending on demand or if this is just a Limited Time Magic type of opportunity one of the stretching rooms could be reserved for enhanced Guest participation.
    This is a really good idea. I know I'd be willing to wait longer for a "silent" stretching room. Since they have two they could always alternate singing vs. non singing with every run...
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• I'm a Lutheran

Solutions...

1. Get to the Mansion as soon as the park opens (grab fastpasses for Indy on the way) and be first in line. Or get on just before midnight or during any of the nighttime entertainment shows, excluding parades, simply because people still populate the Mansion's area during them.

2. Go during Haunted Mansion Holiday. Is it the original Stretching Room? No. Can you hear the dialogue? Yes. Well, at least 95% of the time. Because there is a dramatic soundtrack and the narration is significantly louder, rarely do people talk during the holiday stretch scene. The only thing annoying here is the constant squeaking of one of the walls as it moves.

3. Tell everyone to shut up loudly haha. Be careful with your language though. Don't resort to the level of rudeness around you.

4. Bring in your iPod and play the ride soundtrack on full blast on your headphones. Kind of the same experience if you put it in sync! Then just stop the audio really quick to hear the cast member! Then put it back on!

5. Well... I know this probably won't happen, but if Imagineers were to give our beloved HM the same audio treatment that Walt Disney World's HM received in 2007 (minus the new graveyard ghost vocals), the Stretching Room would not only be much louder and far more intimidating, it would get the attention of countless AP holders and hardcore fans who know of the major remodel. Naturally, the rude teenage/exchange program/grammar-middle school groups come in during the summer and would scream their heads off, but during the rest of the year (minus the holidays) the Stretching Room would be just fine.

6. File a complaint to the park. I mean, honestly there's really nothing that can be done to shut everyone up. Even if they post a rule that says "NO TALKING, SCREAMING, OR NOISE," people would still disobey it. As a member of the generation known for being inconsiderate and lazy, I'm very ashamed and apologetic for our behavior. It's unacceptable. I'm always quiet in the Stretching Room and have always been respectful of my surroundings. I wish my peers were the same.

Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast