• Former Churro Jockey

overhauling Disneyland

So I don't think this will actually happen, but as new attractions are built, it becomes more and more apparent the difference in quality between something like Radiator Springs Racers and a classic attraction like the Jungle Cruise or the Haunted Mansion. The animatronics, the sound system or even how smooth the ride is very apparent, even though Pirates and Mansion are still two of the most popular rides. So I'd really love to see Disney completely overhaul every single ride at Disneyland and install the most brand new up-to-date animatronics, sound system, lighting, ride system, etc. I realize that a recording from the 1960's (like the narration from the Haunted Mansion) might sound pretty bad on a modern surround sound system, so even though I would miss it, I would even be in favor of them re-recording the music and narration using modern technology. I don't know how long it would take Disney to complete the whole park, or whether they would do it ride-by-ride or land-by-land, but I imagine it would involve several years with very significant sections of the park closed no matter how they did it. I'm sure it would be contravention, as any change that Disney makes to a ride always is, but I think that there would be a significant majority who would be in favor of modernizing the current attractions, and even the minority who is opposed to it would be won over if Disney did a good enough job. I think it would be too expensive and too time-consuming for Disney to ever actually do, but I think it sure would be awesome!
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Re: overhauling Disneyland

WDWs HM has an all new sound system and many sources say the original '60s narration sounds fantastic. I would like to see some plussing of the DLR HM but not by sacrificing the charm of the original ghosts. For example, I would NOT like to see the Hitchiking Ghosts changed as they are at WDW. New sound system, improving the existing Constance/Attic Bride projection, perhaps even more expressive and updated AAs in the graveyard scene (same characters, better AA). A refreshing of the classic, not an entire remake.

I hesitate to comment on changes/upgrades to other attactions, as I am not as familiar with them...

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    I realize that a recording from the 1960's (like the narration from the Haunted Mansion) might sound pretty bad on a modern surround sound system, so even though I would miss it, I would even be in favor of them re-recording the music and narration using modern technology.
    The older soundtracks can be remastered to sound great on a modern sound system. Rerecording the soundtrack to Pirates or Haunted Mansion would be akin to having Justin Bieber record Sgt. Pepper.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

I am less concerned with the bigger E-Tickets since they do get attention and updates. What I think needs to happen are updates to the smaller rides like in Fantasyland. Years ago 'Alice' got some video animation that really added to the experience and Snow White more recently got the new video projections too. We need some of that love for Peter Pan, Pinocchio and Toad as well.

• Senior Minion

I don't trust Disney to "upgrade" those attractions. I'd rather see them not touched unless it's to take out some Jack Sparrows from Pirates. I don't even agree with the premise, those rides are all still vastly better then RSR without the technology.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

There is a certain "patina" with the experience on a classic original ride that may not be able to be duplicated easily. I agree with those who think "if it ain't broke" ....

However, I do understand that the rides to need to stay clean, crisp and modernized only to a point. I think they did a great job with Fantasyland and so if it were to happen, I think land by land is the only way...

If they do any revamping or whatever; can it be done for the better and not worse? Prime example is the recent "upgrade" on the Bobsleds at Matterhorn. I take a Motrin before I get on the ride! @_@

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    I don't trust Disney to "upgrade" those attractions. I'd rather see them not touched unless it's to take out some Jack Sparrows from Pirates. I don't even agree with the premise, those rides are all still vastly better then RSR without the technology.
    Since the Fantasyland dark rides are already based on movies, I don't think we need to worry about them. Updated animatronics and special effects will be great to enhance these rides and make them feel more they're coming to life.

Jungle Cruise is a mixed bag. I know some feel that having static animatronics add to the corny feel of the ride but a part of me would like to see the animal animatronics updated with more believability.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

But, but...I thought disney purism welcomes change as long as its good change. Kidding, but all jokes aside I'd really want HM nearly re built from scratch. I'd like to see Pirates level of detail. No corner left unthemed. Make Leottas room look like an actual room. Same for the loading area. Have the hallways smaller and closer too real life scale. Make the bride creepy and silent again, make the attic actually scary, upgrade the ballroom dancers look like they are really dancing, and make the pop up ghosts actually look real and come at you more. IMO HM dropped the momentum that POTC left off with.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Pinrar View Post
    But, but...I thought disney purism welcomes change as long as its good change. Kidding, but all jokes aside I'd really want HM nearly re built from scratch. I'd like to see Pirates level of detail. No corner left unthemed. Make Leottas room look like an actual room. Same for the loading area. Have the hallways smaller and closer too real life scale. Make the bride creepy and silent again, make the attic actually scary, upgrade the ballroom dancers look like they are really dancing, and make the pop up ghosts actually look real and come at you more. IMO HM dropped the momentum that POTC left off with.
    Wait a sec. There's no need to start from scratch. Disney should just improve on what is already established. They could update it like they did to WDW's in 07 and make the sound and lighting crisper. Also, I agree that Leota's room should become an actual room like in Disneyland Paris Phantom Manor.

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    Wait a sec. There's no need to start from scratch. They could update it like they did to WDW's in 07 and make the sound and lighting crisper. Also, I agree that Leota's room should become an actual room like in Disneyland Paris Phantom Manor.
    Yeah that is what I meant. I was thinking rebuild the interiors. Should have specified.
    In the quest for quality, I have no problem with the characters footing the bill.

• Minion

I don't think I like that idea very much.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land