Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Sock Puppet

Re: Will You Be Dissappointed if Nothing is Announced for DLR at D23?

I'll be disappointed if nothing is announced for DL and DCA, I'm hoping we get more info about DLs 60th and hopefully an announcement of a new attraction for either or both parks.

• Banned User

There is no way they are going to unveil and map of a revamped TL. That is something that is now rumored to be years away and not beginning construction until after the 60th, if it happens. Also, we definitely don't know that Monsters for DCA and Tron for DL is going to be announced. I guess its possible, but I think highly unlikely. Other than on here, there hasn't been a single whisper about this from any other source. Not that it might not end up happening someday, but if its that hush, hush at this point, then I gotta think its a long, long way from being announced. Almost always,no, actually always, there are rumors from multiple sources before something major gets announced. That isn't the case with Monsters or Tron.

• Sock Puppet

I have major doubts about Tron, why would Disney build a ride based on Tron when they just spent billions to acquire Marvel and Star Wars?I think it's far far far more likely that Tomorrowlands next ride will be based on Star Wars or Marvel.

I know Al blogged that Tron will be next, but all other sources are saying Marvel and Star Wars. I guess time will tell, but my money is on those and not Tron. With Disney, follow the money, and the money is with Marvel/StarWars.

• Banned User

I totally agree, however, I still have in the back of my head that they MIGHT be saving Marvel and Star Wars for a 3rd gate. All signs point to the fact that there is nothing taking place within Disney walls concerning a 3rd park for Anaheim, but I think they will eventually do something large to counter Potter. Could be a 3rd gate, or could be Marvel attraction and Star Wars miniland. Will be very interesting.
    I think they actually don't know WHAT to do right now, and this is why we wont see anything announced at D23. The cancelled Ironman for Innoventions and I think maybe they are still trying to figure out what exactly is the future of the DLR.

I think Marvel and Star Wars should be use for the third park. I would hate it if TL became Marvel Land or Star Wars Land.

Wasn't Cars Land announced in 2007, began construction in 2009 and opened in 2012. If Al's article is true, Monsters would begin construction first (my guess 2014) and open in 2016, after the 60th. TL/Tron starts preliminary work would start before the 60th and then the main construction afterward, in 2016. My guess opening in 2018/19. It took Cars Land 5 years from announcement to opening, why not TL/Tron.

quote from May 21 article
    But either of these two projects are far enough along that they could be announced at the Parks & Resorts keynote address at D23 Expo in August, with a few key artist renderings and models on display in the Imagineering Pavilion on the exhibit hall floor.

So I can see an announcement at D23 for the 60th, Monsters, TL/Tron and some other projects.
    Murphy,with that neck, is like E.T. in dragon form

Quote Originally Posted by themur View Post
    Well since D23 covers the entire company I will not be surprised if we get more WDI details about Shanghai attractions and probably the new Ratatouille attraction in Paris.

The China park is a huge undertaking and frankly I am fine waiting a bit for DL if WDI can leverage off the R&D that is being partially paid by another entity!

As someone mentioned above, they were disappointed about the much of the "new" they had was leaked prematurely. It wouldn't surprise me if they try to take a page out of the Apple playbook and try to keep the lid on an announcement or two.

While the WDI portion of D23 didn't have any big reveals last time, they did have key Imagineers there manning the "booth" I got to spend a long time talking with the two principal designers responsible for Buena Vista Street. Wouldn't trade that for anything! Made the whole event worth it.
    I think that this year's event will be light again on the Parks & Resorts presentations. But, you are right about having access to the Imagineers. I think that will always be a saving grace. It's rare to actually get an opportunity to chat up Imagineers.

As for "new" being leaked, I think they will REALLY need some real "new" this year or the whole D23 Expo may just fade away. They cannot afford to have people disappointed two consecutive expos in a row. As for leaks, if they do have some real "new" to show, then they should leak some aspects if just to get people through the doors. But pity them if they hype the leaks but fail to deliver any real "new".

Of course, for me, it will need to be more than something "new" just being announced. I want to actually SEE something new at the Expo. I don't want to be spending my money just to hear something that could be just as "announced" on their web site.

• Co-Host of USWP

Quote Originally Posted by NineteenTwenty8 View Post
    I have major doubts about Tron, why would Disney build a ride based on Tron when they just spent billions to acquire Marvel and Star Wars?I think it's far far far more likely that Tomorrowlands next ride will be based on Star Wars or Marvel.

I know Al blogged that Tron will be next, but all other sources are saying Marvel and Star Wars. I guess time will tell, but my money is on those and not Tron. With Disney, follow the money, and the money is with Marvel/StarWars.
    True, but Tron was a financial success (when you take foreign receipts into mind) and I know they are still planning on a sequel. This is an already existing property that I think Disney is going to want to develop somehow. With Marvel there are issues surrounding character licensing, not sure what would be free to do an not do. Star Wars I believe may see its own gate somewhere, not necessarily here in the US.

Personally I'd rather see Tron. I am one of those few people who actually really liked Tron and I also think it fits TL better than either Marvel or Star Wars.

• Artistic integrity

My hunch, the company is still procrastinating/can't-make-up-their-mind on what it wants to do, where Tomorrowland is concerned. Same for Frontierland.

So, for the meantime, I think their focus will be on more fleshed out details on Shanghai DL, which they have been holding back on. So little is known about a project that is official. So, my guess is, that will be the main focus for "theme park" stuff at that convention. They expect that park to open late 2015. That's 2 and years away. My guess is - this is the time to officially reveal the full attraction line-up for opening day.

And perhaps they will show details of the Ratatouille ride for Walt Disney Studios Paris.

Between those two things - and other divisions of the company, on projects coming up in the next year - My hunch is, that will complete their roster of events.

If they make any announcement for the DLR, I will be shocked. I'm not counting on it, though.

The way I look at it - they've been procrastinating with Tomorrowland, going back and forth, from one plan to another. Changing their minds, like a game of musical chairs. Tomorrowland renovation rumors have been going on for 10 years. They probably are thinking - What's another year or two on top of that "10"? No big deal to them.

And when a plan is approved - I think we won't know, till the day areas are walled off, and demolition begins. I'm placing bets, the day after 60th anniversary is over - Early Jan 2016.

But if by strange miracle, they decide they want a new Tomorrowland ready for DL's 60th - They are going to have to start soon. They got 2 years, and 1+ months to July 17, 2015.

To do Tomorrowland properly, though, they need to go into an aggressive "attack" mode ... pretty similar to what Universal Creative are doing in Florida, for the coming "Diagon Alley", which will be finished one year from now.

But with the Disney Co's track record - The D23 event will probably focus elsewhere, and not "coming" DLR projects.

I think they'll want to promote Shanghai DL.

And - as far as Star Wars attractions/land is concerned - My hunch, will not infiltrate Tomorrowland. My hunch, Disney will not mess with one of DL's original 5 lands.

If any "Star Wars" talk happens at all, at the D23 event ... maybe a few details about Episode VII? Just a guess.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• film975

I don't blame Disney for wanting to take a break from construction of anything new for a while at the Disneyland Resort. They just spent the last six years redoing the California Adventure. And they did a fantastic job with it. Again, we'll just have to wait and see if they announce anything at D23 Expo.

If they made the Monstropolis coaster like Rock 'n' Roller coaster in Hollywood Land, I'd be all for it. That area of the park really needs a new E-ticket ride. I also wouldn't mind a Marvel attraction in the Innoventions building and a TRON Lightcycle one on the old PeopleMover tracks. I think that's a logical place for it since they used to have a TRON ride through in the old speed tunnel part of the ride.

• Co-Host of USWP

Quote Originally Posted by film975 View Post
    I don't blame Disney for wanting to take a break from construction of anything new for a while at the Disneyland Resort. They just spent the last six years redoing the California Adventure. And they did a fantastic job with it. Again, we'll just have to wait and see if they announce anything at D23 Expo.
    I really hope they do not take a break from new construction. To keep themselves fresh and relevant they need to update TL and bring it some new, fresh things, IMHO.

If they made the Monstropolis coaster like Rock 'n' Roller coaster in Hollywood Land, I'd be all for it. That area of the park really needs a new E-ticket ride. I also wouldn't mind a Marvel attraction in the Innoventions building and a TRON Lightcycle one on the old PeopleMover tracks. I think that's a logical place for it since they used to have a TRON ride through in the old speed tunnel part of the ride.
    Couldn't agree with this more! Bring on the exciting new rides!

• Nutty about Disney parks

I don't think the Monsters Inc coaster should be like Rock N Roller coaster since DCA already has a signature loop coaster in the park.

I will only be okay with a Monsters Inc coaster there at this point if they plan on taking out the Monsters Inc dark ride but I cannot accept that entire area being turned into another Pixar-themed Land. If the Magic Kingdom found it necessary to tear out a Snow White dark ride for a Snow White roller coaster then it's only fair that the Monsters Inc dark ride be torn out for a Monsters Inc roller coaster. The extra space in that area can fit one or two more attractions that can fit the Hollywood theme...perhaps a Muppets dark ride to compensate the foreseeable closing of MuppetVision.

• Unhelpful User

Quote Originally Posted by planodisney View Post
    Im realy starting to get the feeling that nothing is going to be announced for DL or DCA for D23. There realy is nothing out there in the way of solid rumors as far as serious projects for the resort. WDW will obviously have Avatarland, The New DTD and probably Seven Dwarf Mine. We are only a little over 2 months from D23 and I just think there would be more whispers of strong rumors out there if something was realy on the table.
    Now, the real issue is that if nothing is announced, then more than likely 2014 will come and go without construction beginning on any attraction. Meaning that there wouldn't be a single new attraction of any significance at the DLR before 2017. That's 4 years from now. Do you think DLR can continue their current upswing if they don't add anything of significance for 4 years? I know there have been some rumors on here about Monstropolis and Tron, but there isn't the slightest peep about it from ANYONE else, which usually isn't the case. I realy think the focus has shifted to other resorts, and WDW will just keep pumping out new attractions, hotels and entertainment options while DL gets kinda left in the cold for a while.
    Who knows, maybe the fact that there realy isn't much SOLID buzz about anything for Anaheim means they are planning something MAJOR for the end of the decade.
    With today's update now I really know there won't be any big announcement for the DLR

Please announce plans for a new Tron ride *fingers crossed* probably won't happen though

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123