Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: How long is it till we see metal detectors in the Disneyland Resort?

I think their bag check is good enough at the moment, and they do a very good job from what I've experienced.

Heck, one day my uncle had a Kershaw knife that he carries with him wherever he goes, and they saw the clip hanging out of his pocket, and made us go all the way back to our hotel (the Anabella) and drop it off. Not letting us in because of a pocket knife was a little over kill, but they're doing their job pretty good.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    Disneyland doesn't have a no-bags line?
    Disneyland does not have a separate line for people with no bags. Every one goes through the same security lines. If you don't have a bag, they look to see if you have a purse or fanny pack and if you don't, they let you go through. You still have to wait in line with everyone else though.

Metal detectors would slow down Disneyland's security big time. There are so many things that set off metal detectors. They would then have to pull the person aside, set down their stuff, and check every pocket, purse, and nook and cranny until they found the object. If someone wanted to sneak something into Disneyland, they would still find a way to do it, just like people are still sneaking stuff onto airplanes like they do at the airport. Crime will always happen.

• Sock Puppet

The Happiest Detectors on Earth!!

• Singing Drinker

FWIW, Universal Hollywood doesn't have "no bag" either. There's a little more space and they usually wave people around someone who's getting a deeper bagcheck, but there's still not (in my experience several times over the last year) a specific line.

I've been surprised in the past that they don't at least have wands out for spot metal checks. They're fairly sensitive - every year at the Haunt I have to prove that my belt buckle is indeed a belt buckle - and fast.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    The current security checks do absolutely NOTHING and are terribly inconsistent. They provide a false sense of security. Checking bags means nothing when you can pretty much carry anything on your person.

Six Flags parks have had metal detectors for over a decade. I've visited parks in CA, GA, NJ, IL, MD and TX during that time and have never had an issue or felt unsafe in any of those parks. They are much more strict on what you can bring into the parks than Disney is.

Knott's has used metal detectors for Haunt since at least the 90's.

I have no problem if Disney wants to start using them and get a consistent security staff. It's the only way the parks are going to be more secure. They will never be 100% but it will help.
    Of course nothing will ever be 100% secure. But metal detectors sure would have prevented the guy from bringing a gun into DAK.

I actually think the metal detector parks are quicker to get into than most Disney bag checks if I'm being 100% honest. It causes parks and the security staff to be consistent which just isn't the case at Disney.
    These.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• I'm from Canada eh!

I agree with the Metal Detectors. The gun issue at DAK shows how easy it would be for someone to sneak in a do some real damage.

• Disneyland History Lover

I have a feeling they're at least considering it. I wouldn't prefer it, and I'm not one who likes being harassed in the name of extra security (though one could argue that it's more of a chore going thru Disney's security check than other parks with metal detectors). I don't think Disney wants to give a sense of danger by having metal detectors, as that would be many people's first impression of the parks. But if it happened at some point, I don't think I would be too surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    FWIW, Universal Hollywood doesn't have "no bag" either. There's a little more space and they usually wave people around someone who's getting a deeper bagcheck, but there's still not (in my experience several times over the last year) a specific line.

I've been surprised in the past that they don't at least have wands out for spot metal checks. They're fairly sensitive - every year at the Haunt I have to prove that my belt buckle is indeed a belt buckle - and fast.
    Universal Studios Hollywood does have a no bag line, I've used it many times.

• The doctor is in

It's Disneyland, people. Not the airport. I think putting in metal detectors because a 22-year old employee set off a dry ice bomb and a concealed carrier let a gun fall out of their pocket is a bit overkill.
    I wish Frozen would have never been made.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Metal detectors aren't going to stop people from using materials available inside the park (the dry ice bomb).

And since it seems people easily get weapons, including guns, through security at airports and many other places, I doubt Disney would be an exception. Six Flags has never run a tight shift on any visit i have had to any of their parks. Before walking through i take out my keys and phone, then lift up my shirt to show my belt buckle. The detector goes off and I'm waved through. The larger demographic to which Disney caters would also increase the number of people who cannot pass through the metal detectors.

•   
    • Minion

I am normally not in favor of "security theater" that is ineffective, but on the other hand, metal detectors couldn't hurt. They do have them at a lot of other tourist attractions and venues in a lot of major cities. There's no security measure that can stop everything but something like a metal detector and bag x-ray can certainly hinder someone who wants to bring in a weapon.

There's evidence that in at least one case, the presence of metal detectors and bag x-rays stopped a violent act, which would have almost certainly resulted in a large loss of life, at a tourist attraction in Los Angeles - the suspect openly admitted he did not attack those places because of the security.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• -

Quote Originally Posted by Zeth View Post
    Not letting us in because of a pocket knife was a little over kill, but they're doing their job pretty good.
    It's not overkill when airplanes can be taken down with box cutters. The security people don't know you and have no idea what your intent was with that knife once you got in the gate. This was a good call on their part and not overkill.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlawwhiskey View Post
    Metal detectors would slow down Disneyland's security big time. There are so many things that set off metal detectors. They would then have to pull the person aside, set down their stuff, and check every pocket, purse, and nook and cranny until they found the object.
    Yes, they would pull that person aside, but they wouldn't stop the rest of the line. While the person who set it off is getting a more thorough search the people after him/her are moving through. This would have little to no affect on the rest of the line.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlawwhiskey View Post
    If someone wanted to sneak something into Disneyland, they would still find a way to do it, just like people are still sneaking stuff onto airplanes like they do at the airport. Crime will always happen.
    And construction helmets won't protect against an I-beam hitting your head from six stories up. Does that mean they shouldn't be worn to prevent injuries they can protect against?

While there are things detectors can't prevent, that is not an excuse to not use them to catch things that can be picked up by them or as a general deterrent, which they definitely will be.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• Yeah...I'm cool

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post

We've go u​niversal all the time,they've had a no bag line for a while.
    spunky likes to suck that 3rd nipple(why am I your sig line........freak)! - Posted by my good friend Samsma

I always assumed the reason they had a bag check, but no metal detector is that they were looking for bombs or bomb making materials or even larger weapons as opposed to the type of weapon you could hide on your person. I hate to even discuss this because it's such an awful thought to even hypothesize about, but if someone wanted to sneak in a handgun to create terror, they could do more harm at a mall or even a grocery store. Yes, Disneyland can get incredibly crowded, but that actually would work against them in this kind of attack. Someone in the crowd would likely take down the attacker. Plus of course, Disneyland has ample trained security around, certainly far more than a shopping mall or a grocery store.

It just seems that the risk of either a terrorist or a deranged individual attacking with a handgun would be no more at the park than it would be at your place of work, your grocery store, a shopping center, or any other place you visit on a typical day.

I'm not really sure how I feel about the idea of having metal detectors to get into the park. On the one hand, I think one more safety precaution certainly couldn't hurt. On the other hand, I can imagine the delays with the detectors going off and people being pulled to the side and wanded and then the outrage when inevitably some elderly woman is forced to lift her shirt or someone says they were touched inappropriately. Does the amount of risk really justify all of this? I really don't know.

But I do know that we all need to avoid the trap of irrational fear and keep things in perspective. All of us have a much, much, much greater chance of being injured or killed on our drive to work every day than we do from any criminal or terrorist attack.
    Last edited by Steveman; 05-31-2013 at 01:17 AM.

• Co-Host of USWP

IMO, Metal detectors actually detract from people taking so much un-needed stuff into the parks. People take so much crap into Disney parks that you just don't see at other parks. Hopefully Metal detectors would cause the park to implement a no-bags line as well.
    I agree with this. I can see metal detectors being a good thing, not a bad thing. However....only if I don't have to take my belt off!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast