Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Re: How long is it till we see metal detectors in the Disneyland Resort?

Quote Originally Posted by spacyglitz1 View Post
    In a recent trip, I had my band aid's confiscated (yes...i wrote that right...band aid's), while my friend got through with pepper spray she forgot she had in her bag. There is clearly no standardization in how bags are checked, and if there is, most checkers don't follow it.
    And this is the problem. The inconsistency. As I said, I'm not really 100% in favor of metal detectors but they WOULD cause the park to have consistency across the board when it comes to what gets in and what doesn't.

As far as the band aids ... that's a bit ridiculous.

• "I Break Things"

I think the no bag line at Universal brings up a good point that many are missing... just because it works flawlessly at one park doesn't mean it will translate well to another one;

Case in point; Disney HAD a no bag line. It failed... miserably... because of a combination of language barriers and a lack of common sense. I'm not sure how many international visitors Universal or Six Flags receives but I'm willing to say less than Disney. I do know the overall rough attendance that each park receives and that is less than Disney. My point is that on a large scale metal detector deployment would be a massive wrench in an already dysfunctional machine. It works on a small scale (again example being no bag line) but it falls apart when deployed en mass.

I agree that the bag checks are little more than an illusion.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Bag checks are the public face of security, but I suspect the behind-the-scenes security is much more consistent. And they're watching. You can tell if someone's up to no good. Behavioral profiling (but not profiling on race or how you're dressed).
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

The band aid thing is just bizarre. I wonder if the CM just made that up on the spot. I guess I just haven't visited often enough in recent times to realize how bad the bag checks are. They always seemed relatively proficient when I've been there. It shouldn't be that hard to get them trained properly and have consistent rules and execution. But I guess CM training hasn't been their strong suit lately.

• Big red truck

Quote Originally Posted by whoever View Post
    Carrying concealed weapons for all intents and purposes (unless you are a celebrity) is already illegal in CA.
    This is not the case, CCW is legal in California, obtaining one is dependent on the county you live in as a California resident. California is a mix of Shall Issue and May issue counties. That being said, there are reciprocity issues, a CA permit is valid in AZ, but not vice versa, probably due to the handgun roster that CA has.

The bag checks are fine IMO, even if its security theater, the troublemakers are likely driven away by Disneys higher prices. Six Flags Magic Mountain have more guest issues from my experience in that regard than Disneyland.

Even with a concealed carry permit, private property owners don't have to let you carry it onsite. Or rather, they can bar you from coming while carrying.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Circle of Ancients

For those of you who think metal detectors would cause long lines at Disneyland ... this is the set up at Magic Mountain. Yesterday they were training new security staff and every line was open. There was no wait even though the entry plaza was relatively packed. This is 10 minutes prior to the park opening.

If it's good enough for Six Flags right?

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    For those of you who think metal detectors would cause long lines at Disneyland ... this is the set up at Magic Mountain. Yesterday they were training new security staff and every line was open. There was no wait even though the entry plaza was relatively packed. This is 10 minutes prior to the park opening.

Not trying to be rude but I have to stress that you're talking about a different crowd level and a different crowd dynamic (MM being teens and young adults, DL being families with small children). For example how does the metal detectors react with strollers? Do they have a no bag line? Can it accommodate more then 1 person through the detector at a time? Can a kid go through it with a parent? How are wheelchairs handled? Is it multi-lingual for non-English speaking tourists?

I'm not saying it can't work. If it was mandated they'd make it work. BUT... the security bag check was mandated and look how well that works when it comes to crowds... Case in point the defunct "no bag line".
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Minion

^^ they also have the handheld wands which is done after the main ones.

I think DLR is aimed towards everyone, not just kids/families. GRAD NITE is over ran by teens. DCA sells alcoholic drinks in every direction of the park for the 21+.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post

Seriously, you are going to compare a theme park that gets less than 3 million visitors a year to Disneyland? Disneyland gets over 17.5 million visitors a year, huge difference. The reason there are no lines at the entrance gate of Magic Mountain in your photo has to do with the difference in the number of guests between Six Flags Magic Mountain and Disneyland, you are talking under 10,000 a day at Six Flags Magic Mountain and around 50,000 a day, roughly 45,000 a day at Disneyland. Six Flags Magic Mountain couldn't handle the crowds that Disneyland handles because they can't control security with the small crowds they have now. To even compare their entrance plaza to Disney's is like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

• Circle of Ancients

Addressing the comments above:

For example how does the metal detectors react with strollers? Just like at DL, they will look through the strollers. They are wide enough to accommodate strollers and most wheel chairs.

Do they have a no bag line? Yes. Even though Disneyland does not.

Can it accommodate more then 1 person through the detector at a time? No, except with a small child.

Can a kid go through it with a parent? Yes

How are wheelchairs handled? Same as strollers.

Is it multi-lingual for non-English speaking tourists? All theme parks are, SFMM is no different.

The reason there are no lines at the entrance gate of Magic Mountain in your photo has to do with the difference in the number of guests between Six Flags Magic Mountain and Disneyland, you are talking under 10,000 a day at Six Flags Magic Mountain and around 50,000 a day, roughly 45,000 a day at Disneyland. Again, this was at park opening. While the pure numbers are different on a day-in-day-out basis, SFMM at opening can be just as crazy as Disneyland.

And it's really not that different as I stated above. SFMM does also have 2 parks that enter in the same area that are closer together than Disneyland and DCA.

If you look at the number of entrances here, this is about 15 (plus there are another 8-10 around the corner that they use on very busy days. I've seen Disneyland get by with 3 or 6 lines. Very rarely do you even see all 3 bag check tents open on the DtD side. IF Disneyland committed to having Metal Detectors don't you think they could do it better than Magic Mountain? That's my point. People keep stating that metal detectors at Disneyland would make the lines take forever. I just don't think that's the case.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    I think the no bag line at Universal brings up a good point that many are missing... just because it works flawlessly at one park doesn't mean it will translate well to another one;

Case in point; Disney HAD a no bag line. It failed... miserably... because of a combination of language barriers and a lack of common sense. I'm not sure how many international visitors Universal or Six Flags receives but I'm willing to say less than Disney. I do know the overall rough attendance that each park receives and that is less than Disney. My point is that on a large scale metal detector deployment would be a massive wrench in an already dysfunctional machine. It works on a small scale (again example being no bag line) but it falls apart when deployed en mass.

I agree that the bag checks are little more than an illusion.
    How do you explain the no bag lines working at WDW then? Who have a huge international visitor base as well..
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

I haven't been to Six Flags since I was a kid, but I've been to plenty of airports. It boils down to, what could a metal detector catch that bag check wouldn't? Stuff hidden on your person, like a hand gun or knife. So, if you're really worried about handguns coming into the park, metal detectors would definitely be worthwhile. If they really could be implemented without causing longer lines and hassle then it's a no brainer. Better safe than sorry, and Disney can afford it. I just can't see that happening though, with all the false alarms and pulling people to the side to wand. And of course you have to include all the little kids in this process, so imagine them being pulled over and wanded and searched. Just not sure it's worth it.

ok...First off the bag checks at DLR are conducted by front gate CMs not security. Yes they do sometimes happen upon things that are not allowed ie pocket knives band aids etc.
    Really what they are supposed to be looking for is glass containers and food. When this started it was security Theater but also a way for Disney to stem the flow of outside food and beverages into the park. Obviously this didn't work real well. But glass containers are still a big No-No. There is very little oversite of the bag check Cms some of them are thorough some not so. The real security happens when you pass through the turnstiles. There is always at least 2-3 undercover Security officers in the "lobby" area. Occasionally there will be Security Suits at the bag check but often not. Metal detectors are coming to DLR probably pretty soon. they will be Disneyfied of course but soon we will all get used to it. The "no bag line" was cut off because people with bags went in the no bag line because it would be empty and they couldn't understand why they had to wait in the full line when the line next to it was empty. After several arguments and a couple of real security problems the no bag line went on it's way. So the next time your in that line thinking well at least we are secure...Remember this line has nohing to do with Disney security. Want the lines to be shorter quit carrying all that unneeded stuff in with you. Also just an aside DLR is one of the most secure places in the country, things that would turn your hair white happen hourly but the speed and control the security teams show means most of us never know it happened. Also the "icebomb" scare was not an isolated instance. up until that day it happened alot. It was a common initiation for new cart vendors or prank to be played on the next shift. So fear not you are safer in DLR than your local church. Im not sure but i don't believe that the tickets at MM, USH etc contain your name and a picture and have to show an Id to get one .this is another security plus.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

I doubt it will happen... Disney World changed their Mickey from turning red to blue when things went wrong at the entrance just because red was deemed too.... negative or offensive... I feel like Metal Detectors would give off the same impression.

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast