Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

• Pilot EdForceOne

Re: How long is it till we see metal detectors in the Disneyland Resort?

Quote Originally Posted by dzny13 View Post
    ok...First off the bag checks at DLR are conducted by front gate CMs not security. Yes they do sometimes happen upon things that are not allowed ie pocket knives band aids etc.
    Really what they are supposed to be looking for is glass containers and food. When this started it was security Theater but also a way for Disney to stem the flow of outside food and beverages into the park. Obviously this didn't work real well. But glass containers are still a big No-No. There is very little oversite of the bag check Cms some of them are thorough some not so. The real security happens when you pass through the turnstiles. There is always at least 2-3 undercover Security officers in the "lobby" area. Occasionally there will be Security Suits at the bag check but often not. Metal detectors are coming to DLR probably pretty soon. they will be Disneyfied of course but soon we will all get used to it. The "no bag line" was cut off because people with bags went in the no bag line because it would be empty and they couldn't understand why they had to wait in the full line when the line next to it was empty. After several arguments and a couple of real security problems the no bag line went on it's way. So the next time your in that line thinking well at least we are secure...Remember this line has nohing to do with Disney security. Want the lines to be shorter quit carrying all that unneeded stuff in with you. Also just an aside DLR is one of the most secure places in the country, things that would turn your hair white happen hourly but the speed and control the security teams show means most of us never know it happened. Also the "icebomb" scare was not an isolated instance. up until that day it happened alot. It was a common initiation for new cart vendors or prank to be played on the next shift. So fear not you are safer in DLR than your local church. Im not sure but i don't believe that the tickets at MM, USH etc contain your name and a picture and have to show an Id to get one .this is another security plus.
    The screening people wear the white shirt and blue pants of the security CMs - same as the 'uniformed' security CMs in the park.

And to my knowledge, there has never been a 'no bag' line at DLR.

Third, there is no real 'line' for no bag at WDW. What they do is allow you to move between the tents where they check you if you have no bag. A simple CM stands there and stops anyone who tries to go that path if they have a bag. It works every day, at every park.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Circle of Ancients

^ Disneyland had a no bags line for about a week I want to say 4-5 years ago. It didn't last long. So much for the "quality" of visitors to Disneyland if they couldn't figure out how a no bags line works.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    ^ Disneyland had a no bags line for about a week I want to say 4-5 years ago. It didn't last long. So much for the "quality" of visitors to Disneyland if they couldn't figure out how a no bags line works.
    1 week? What an effort...
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post

As for Malls, etc, well that's a different thing altogether. Although when you go to other countries you will see security, armed security ... EVERYWHERE. When I was working in the Philippines there was armed security and metal detectors at every mall, hotel, office building, etc.

You support this?

• Ducksketeer

Quote Originally Posted by Commander Corn View Post
    The gate security has always been pitiful. To be honest I'm surprised something serious hasn't happened yet.
    Because in the larger picture there isn't really very much of a security problem, most of the worry is just hype. Not that something can't happen, but anyone who would want to do something really horrible would probably find a way even with metal detectors; there is just so many items being brought into the park (stollers, backpacks, water bottles, baby bags, etc).

Amusement parks are soft targets, if someone decided to do something; they will be able to do it. In my opinion the best security is having trained eyes watching people and looking for particular behavior which would warrant closer inspection. Disney is not ready to install airport/court house style of security anyway.

• Ducksketeer

Quote Originally Posted by Zovreign View Post
    This is not the case, CCW is legal in California, obtaining one is dependent on the county you live in as a California resident. California is a mix of Shall Issue and May issue counties.
    Actually the entire state is "may-issue" with the decision to issue up to the local police. Most cities defer the decision to the county Sherriff's office, and depending on the Sheriff he/she may issue a CCW to non felons or others who could legally own a gun. Counties like Los Angeles are virtually no-issue if you look at the numbers of yearly CCW permits as compared to the population. In Los Angels county only about 3 in every 100,000 are issued CCW permits.

The differnce between shall issue and may issue states is that in a shall issue state you will be issued a CCW unless there is a legal reason why you are not allowed to have a gun. While in a may-issue state you have to prove why you have a specific reason to carry a concealed gun.

No matter what type of a permit people have, Disneyland is private property and can refuse anyone with a CCW to carry their firearm on Disneyland property. Disneyland does not allow off duty police to carry their guns inside the park either. I think they may still provide off duty police a locker to lock their guns up with the security office if they first arrange it through guest services, but that may have changed.

Knott's Berry farm has at least in the pass allowed off duty and retired police to carry their guns inside the park, but not on roller coasters or other "trill rides". But that may have changed as well.

Magic Mountain only allows uniformed police on duty to carry their guns inside the park. Off duty police have to check in with the security office and they will be provided with a storage locker there. Magic Mountian has metal detectors.

San Diego Zoo allows off duty police to carry inside the park, but the firearms must be concealed at all times.

Seaworld allows off duty police and CCW permit holder to carry as long as they can show a verified photo ID from the issuing law enforcment dept.

Now here is a little catch as it applies to off duty law enforcement officers. Even if an amusement park has a policy against allowing a police officer to carry his gun inside the park, if the officer ignores that policy, there is no criminal violation for that in the California penal code. The problem for law enforcement officers is that many of their depts require them to carry off duty weapons, and they are NOT allowed to leave them in their cars.

So bottom line here: there are guns inside Disneyland, you just may not be aware of them.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345