Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Unhelpful User

How long is it till we see metal detectors in the Disneyland Resort?

With the recent news this past week about an explosion at toontown and a guest bringing a gun DAK in WDW how long is it before TDA and TDO bring metal detectors to the resorts? Or will that never happened ? Remember safety first!

• Halloween 2011

Re: How long is it till we see metal detectors in the Disneyland Resort?

Metal detectors? And doctor notes to explain the metal hips and knees setting them off?

I don't think metal detectors are required. Perhaps a more thorough bag check. But the explosion was done by a cast member, and the gun incident was a guest carrying a legal concealed weapon against park rules (of which he claimed to be unaware).

Carrying concealed weapons for all intents and purposes (unless you are a celebrity) is already illegal in CA.

Quote Originally Posted by dougeebear View Post
    Metal detectors? And doctor notes to explain the metal hips and knees setting them off?

I don't think metal detectors are required. Perhaps a more thorough bag check. But the explosion was done by a cast member, and the gun incident was a guest carrying a legal concealed weapon against park rules (of which he claimed to be unaware).
    I agree. We're just being paranoid now. I think there is a point in which an organization becomes overly protective. It's almost like saying we need bag checks and metal detectors at flea markets.

It is still possible to get a a permit to carry in California. California is a "may issue" state in which the police may issue concealed permits to residents upon request. Florida, like most other states, is a "shall issue" state. This means that once given the all clear from background checks, the state is legally required to issue the citizen a carrying permit. The incident at Animal Kingdom was a small incident with a guy who happened to forget that he was carrying, he had no malicious intent.

He was one of the people who was responsible enough to go through the process of carrying it legally. Unfortunately, this time he wasn't responsible enough to check if he had it or not.
    Last edited by Disneytwins; 05-30-2013 at 07:31 AM.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Circle of Ancients

The current security checks do absolutely NOTHING and are terribly inconsistent. They provide a false sense of security. Checking bags means nothing when you can pretty much carry anything on your person.

Six Flags parks have had metal detectors for over a decade. I've visited parks in CA, GA, NJ, IL, MD and TX during that time and have never had an issue or felt unsafe in any of those parks. They are much more strict on what you can bring into the parks than Disney is.

Knott's has used metal detectors for Haunt since at least the 90's.

I have no problem if Disney wants to start using them and get a consistent security staff. It's the only way the parks are going to be more secure. They will never be 100% but it will help.
    Last edited by sir clinksalot; 05-30-2013 at 07:41 AM.

Either way it's a false sense of security. If someone is determined enough, they'll find a way to do it. It will make park hopping a major pain in the rear though... especially at WDW.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Circle of Ancients

Of course nothing will ever be 100% secure. But metal detectors sure would have prevented the guy from bringing a gun into DAK.

I actually think the metal detector parks are quicker to get into than most Disney bag checks if I'm being 100% honest. It causes parks and the security staff to be consistent which just isn't the case at Disney.

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    Either way it's a false sense of security. If someone is determined enough, they'll find a way to do it. It will make park hopping a major pain in the rear though... especially at WDW.
    You don't have to do a bag check again hopping in between DLR and DCA.
    Metal detectors wouldn't cause a park hopping problem in Anaheim. I can see that they would at WDW, though.

I personally don't think they would do anything but increase wait times at the security check. I think the problem is a lack of common sense and people trying to be heroes for "what if" situations. I'm sure the person who brought the gun into WDW felt that it was a good thing to have just in case something happened, but didn't bother knowing the rules of where they are carrying. If you are going to be a concealed carrier you should know where you can and cannot bring the gun and especially should know to have it secured enough to where it won't fall out of your pocket. It's a lack of responsibility situation that is being blown up to scare people who attend theme parks, imo.

I don't think concealed carriers are trying to be a heroes. Everyone knows that the number one thing to do in a deadly situation is to get away. They even tell you that when you get your permit. Guns are only to be used in a dire situation. If there is an opportunity for you to get away, you get away. You don't run to the situation, you run away from the situation.
    Last edited by Disneytwins; 05-30-2013 at 08:00 AM.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Circle of Ancients

IMO, Metal detectors actually detract from people taking so much un-needed stuff into the parks. People take so much crap into Disney parks that you just don't see at other parks. Hopefully Metal detectors would cause the park to implement a no-bags line as well.

Disneyland doesn't have a no-bags line?
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Circle of Ancients

Disneyland doesn't have a no-bags line?
    Nope. They had one for about a week 5 or so years ago. It's ridiculous.

• Familymemories

Quote Originally Posted by whoever View Post
    Carrying concealed weapons for all intents and purposes (unless you are a celebrity) is already illegal in CA.
    That is not correct. You can go through training and interviews to get a concealed carry permit.
    Vintage Jewelry Converted Into Wearable Pieces Visit My Etsy Shop3 Kid Crop Shop

• Familymemories

I don't think concealed carriers are trying to be a heroes. Everyone knows that the number one thing to do in a deadly situation is to get away. They even tell you that when you get your permit. Guns are only to be used in a dire situation. If there is an opportunity for you to get away, you get away. You don't run to the situation, you run away from the situation.
    You are correct. Concealed carry people are peace makers.
    Vintage Jewelry Converted Into Wearable Pieces Visit My Etsy Shop3 Kid Crop Shop

• Circle of Ancients

Mod Note:

Let's please not turn this into a "Gun Debate". I know this thread is already towing that line but let's try to avoid going down that road.

Thanks

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast