•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Good P&S for taking photos in rides?

And now for something slightly

My current digital point and shoot camera is on its last pixels and will soon need to be replaced. I have seen so many wonderful potographs on this board and am hoping to glean some advice from you talented and experienced photographers of the beauty of Disney.

I know that a quality point & shoot will be quite an investment, so I wondered what advice I could get about purchasing a P&S that will take reasonable quality photos in darker settings (PoTC levels of light) without flash. I do often take indoor photos and my current P&S does not do well in low light/indoor shooting at all.

Any advice would be welcome. If this belongs on another board I hope some kindly Mod will move it there posthaste.

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

• Mickey's cousin, Sparky!

Phoenix, AZ -- wishing I were on the 10-60-91-57

Re: Good P&S for taking photos in rides?

My thought is probably not. The issue being dark rides will more than likely need more than a P&S can offer in terms of aperture and Iso. I could be wrong but I don't think most P&S can get to the levels needed to do it.

Read up on the Disneyland Photography Tip of the Day by Hot Sauce (Michael Greening) has been writing for tr last couple of years in the Disneyland thread. Tons of great info and tips.

Like you, I wanted to take better ride pics. I broke down and bought a DSLR and some lenses for it. Now it isn't cheap and took me a while to save for it, but I hope whenever I can get to tr park again I can get the shots I want.

• Mrs. J. Depp

Some of them do, I don't think my little Canon P&S is one of them. You can also play around with ISO and lowering it for lower light settings. I'm lazy and hate changing my settings for every shot. I think some can self monitor the lighting and some you have to manually change. Good luck. There are decent P&S's out there!!

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

Whoa, that's a toughie. As other of said, there's some limitations with point and shoots that would make it extremely hard to take photos of dark rides. A majority of it is the lack of control of your camera (i.e. controlling apertures and shutter speed). There are P&S out there that do let you control some of those features. I recommend doing some research on Canon S90 and above (I believe the newest one is Canon S110? But don't break the bank and buy the latest version! I recommend buying the older versions since they are just as good and you can probably get a better deal! Maybe S95 or S100?). I have played with a friend's Canon S90 a few years ago and I was amazed for a P&S, it let me control so much! As I said before, in order to take photos in the dark, it requires the user to control certain features. If you end up get a Canon S series, I also highly recommend reading up on how to balance exposures.
    Last edited by KiMcHeEfOrLiFe; 05-31-2013 at 12:04 PM.

• Down Pluto!

I think you would need a P&S that has an ISO of 6400, equivalent lens of f 1.8 and less than 16mm zoomed out. If one exists that meets that criteria, which I'm sure there must be, that would be the way to go.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• aka 'KiMcHeE'

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    I think you would need a P&S that has an ISO of 6400, equivalent lens of f 1.8 and less than 16mm zoomed out. If one exists that meets that criteria, which I'm sure there must be, that would be the way to go.
    I just looked at the specs of the S100 and it was pretty close to those requirements. Although, I think those may be a bit overkill lol. I've been able to capture dark ride photos using a 50mm with the settings of f/1.8 and 1/40s with my D80 (but with a steady hand).

So take a look at the S100! While a great camera, I've heard issues of some sort of lens error with the S100s. But apparently Canon will fix that for you for free if you encounter it. Again do some research on it!

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by KiMcHeEfOrLiFe View Post
    I just looked at the specs of the S100 and it was pretty close to those requirements. Although, I think those may be a bit overkill lol.
    Not necessarily overkill - but close to ideal. Getting as many or close to as many of the three specs only increase the likelihood of getting good dark ride shots. Having none even close to those will almost assure you won't get a good shot.

I agree with you - the S100 sounds like it would be a very good choice.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Pirates is a tough one to catch, even with a good lens and my DSLR. It's just so uniformly dark and always moving.

Some suggestions for low-light photography:
    raise your ISO ("film") speed, pick a bright spot for your focus point (and brighten some of the rest up later with software), pick a time when things aren't moving to click the shutter. That "still point" thing works particularly well with dancers, there's usually a tiny pause at some point in the movement, and that's when you click the shutter.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Attic Haunt View Post
    If this belongs on another board I hope some kindly Mod will move it there posthaste.
    eh.... it probably does but I'll leave it for now.... : Shhhhhhhhhh, don't tell the other mods!

What you might want is a "bridge" camera. Not a full DSLR, not a tiny point and shoot but something in between. There are some really awesome non DSLR's now that have really stepped up the game with what they can do.

Have you checked out this thread?

Amateur park photography with a point-and-shoot

His shot of Small World is every bit as clear and bright as any I've seen taken with DSLR cameras.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

•   
    • Minion

i use a canon s95 it has plenty of settings that almost make it a DSLR. A lot of my TRs i post feature inside pix using that canon. I have a D90 I use as well but that Canon is a awesome travel companion. The newer model is s100

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    Have you checked out this thread?

Amateur park photography with a point-and-shoot

His shot of Small World is every bit as clear and bright as any I've seen taken with DSLR cameras.
    And Attic Haunt, make sure you check out the two Pirates photos I added later in that thread. They're better than I thought I had managed to catch, although I had to brighten them up in software. I think with a little effort and manual adjustment of camera settings, you could probably do better than I did with that camera. I assume the S100 may do better still.

Here's a little trick I found. If the camera has the ability to lock the focus, use it. My DSLR likes to refocus on the fly and cannot always adjust in dark light. I lock the focus and disable the autofocus feature. If you get it right, everything is in focus when you check your shots later.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Thank you all so much. I did see Blake's post shortly after I posted this and made a note of the camera he used. I realize I will never get "perfect" pics in PoTC or HM, but being able to get something would make my heart happy. The great general pointers combined with the tech specific info from Sambo and KiMcHeEfOrLiFe should give me the details I need to make a choice.

Pssst, Penguinsoda... your secret is safe with me

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!